CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

rims

post-4951-1180057986_thumb.jpgpost-4951-1180057971_thumb.jpgBe honest will these rims look good on this car, I've been scratching my head and trying to decide for weeks and these are the best I could find in my price range what do you guys think??? There 18x7.5 and the package comes with 245-45-18 tires. I dont no much about this and am looking for opinions any coment will be very appreciated......

post-4951-1180057986_thumb.jpgpost-4951-1180057971_thumb.jpgBe honest will these rims look good on this car, I've been scratching my head and trying to decide for weeks and these are the best I could find in my price range what do you guys think??? There 18x7.5 and the package comes with 245-45-18 tires. I dont no much about this and am looking for opinions any coment will be very appreciated......

I think they'd look pretty good myself but if there are wheels out there that you like better, i'd wait until i could get those, you'll be happier in the long run..................................................................red

Be honest will these rims look good on this car, I've been scratching my head and trying to decide for weeks and these are the best I could find in my price range what do you guys think??? There 18x7.5 and the package comes with 245-45-18 tires. I dont no much about this and am looking for opinions any coment will be very appreciated......

Personally I don't care to reveal too much rotor/caliper unless you've got some Brembo stuff you have a felt need to show off. It's just not "Cadillac" (read: elegant) IMHO. I guess it depends upon what message you're trying to send. Unless you have something to be mighty proud of, it's like squatting and showing your butt crack off to the audience in the rear. Again, IMHO. Most, I suspect, will disagree with me.

I'd prefer to be an "elegant sleeper" as opposed to one who dares every late model 300hp+ Mustang to humiliate me (which he will).

And let's not forget your already stiff ride. It will be stiffer still with those wheels/tires. Are you sure that's what you want?

Ultimately, what makes *you* happy will be your best choice. Please don't forget to post photos and describe your feelings after you do the deed. ;)

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I agree that the wide gaps between the spokes will show off your rotors and calipers. The stock brakes on any STS are great brakes and upgrades are not required, even for Autobahn driving at up to 120 mph in traffic, although Brembo and others do offer upgrades that may be useful for even more stressful driving such as autocross. But, the standard calipers are just there, not finished for show like most after market upgrades. I've seen custom wheels on cars that have painted stock calipers and it looks cheesy. Just showing stock calipers is OK but, as WarrenJ says, less than elegant.

The tire size looks great. The important thing about tire size, if you are going to use the car for a daily driver and want good performance, good gas mileage on the road, etc. is to keep the rolling radius within 3% of the rolling radius of the stock tires, which is advertised by Goodyear at 26.6 inches. The rolling radius of a tire can be estimated pretty closely from its size as printed on the sidewall: (width)X(aspect ratio) + (rim width). Here are two examples:

STOCK TIRES, 225-60R16

(225 mm) X (60%) / (25.4 mm per inch) + (16 inches) = 26.63 inches

YOUR SIZE, 245-56R18

(245 mm) X (45%) / (25.4 mm per inch) + (18 inches) = 26.68 inches

Your tire is 0.2% larger diameter, which will put you 1/7 of a mph off at 75 mph, meaning that you are good to go with this tire size without affecting drivabiltiy at any speed. Ride is another matter, but I think that you can select a tire type that will give you an acceptable ride. Do a search on this forum or ask here for people who have the same tire and see what people think.

The last, and most important thing, is offset. This is most important with front wheel drive because the way that torque and brake steer are handled is to pass the steering rotation axis through the center of the tire contact patch on the pavement. With the stock 26.6 inch rolling radius, you need the stock offset. If you buy from The Tire Rack or other reputable dealer, and the wheels are listed for your car, the offset should be OK.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I agree that the wide gaps between the spokes will show off your rotors and calipers. The stock brakes on any STS are great brakes and upgrades are not required, even for Autobahn driving at up to 120 mph in traffic, although Brembo and others do offer upgrades that may be useful for even more stressful driving such as autocross. But, the standard calipers are just there, not finished for show like most after market upgrades. I've seen custom wheels on cars that have painted stock calipers and it looks cheesy. Just showing stock calipers is OK but, as WarrenJ says, less than elegant.

The tire size looks great. The important thing about tire size, if you are going to use the car for a daily driver and want good performance, good gas mileage on the road, etc. is to keep the rolling radius within 3% of the rolling radius of the stock tires, which is advertised by Goodyear at 26.6 inches. The rolling radius of a tire can be estimated pretty closely from its size as printed on the sidewall: (width)X(aspect ratio) + (rim width). Here are two examples:

STOCK TIRES, 225-60R16

(225 mm) X (60%) / (25.4 mm per inch) + (16 inches) = 26.63 inches

YOUR SIZE, 245-56R18

(245 mm) X (45%) / (25.4 mm per inch) + (18 inches) = 26.68 inches

Your tire is 0.2% larger diameter, which will put you 1/7 of a mph off at 75 mph, meaning that you are good to go with this tire size without affecting drivabiltiy at any speed. Ride is another matter, but I think that you can select a tire type that will give you an acceptable ride. Do a search on this forum or ask here for people who have the same tire and see what people think.

The last, and most important thing, is offset. This is most important with front wheel drive because the way that torque and brake steer are handled is to pass the steering rotation axis through the center of the tire contact patch on the pavement. With the stock 26.6 inch rolling radius, you need the stock offset. If you buy from The Tire Rack or other reputable dealer, and the wheels are listed for your car, the offset should be OK.

I personnally don't like 18" wheels at all... they put that "brother" look on a car that takes away from the classiness of it.

When I got my 93 STS, I looked at a number of wheel styles, before I went with 97 El Dorado wheels.

. They allowed me to stick with the stock tire size, which keeps the transmission and the electronics happy.

. Maintained original ride height, and handling ability.

. Maintained the proper offset, no problem with the tires rubbing; very little clearance here.

. I want people to look at the nice wheels and car, not the brake parts.

. I like the stylish looks it gives to the STS (the stock wheels made it look like a Toyota).

I would suggest looking at some later Cadillac wheels, before making your final decision.

By the way, beautiful paint color on your car.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Just for fun, I Photoshopped in my wheels. Mostly to show the difference in your cars appearance, with a little chrome to set off the paint color.

Try copy and pasting some other wheel types, before making a decision on wheel type.

-George

post-141-1180102434_thumb.jpg

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

When I got my 1997 ETC, the sales team made noises about upgrades:

• 1996 wheels, which they said were "more desirable." I stayed with 1997 chrome-plated aluminum wheels.
  • Fake convertible top. A nice idea, because it adds insulation. I didn't go with it because of additional weight and wind resistance, and because I was thinking 12 years at the time. Now I'm thinking 14+ years.
  • The lug nut covers that have the gold wreath Cadillac emblem. They said that those were $500, and I did find that they are $125 apiece. I figured them for a mid-life upgrade but never got them. Last year I saw them on sale for half price, but didn't quite bite.
What I would have gone for is premium pinstriping. They didn't mention that.

But, back to wheels, the 2007 STS is offered with 18-inch wheels. You should be able to find some multi-spoke wheels that are more appropriate to your car.

A word of caution -- most custom wheels for less than $300 a wheel are steel wheels with chrome plating. There's nothing wrong with that, and indeed a well-engineered wheel can get you lower unsprung weight with excellent wheel strength, but many aftermarket wheels don't have the rigidity to offer the handling you expect from an STS or ETC with 18-inch rims and performance tires because these are big cars, 4000+ pounds curb weight, so be sure that your wheels are rated for tires with load range 97 or better. True aluminum wheels won't be a load range problem but will cost you $400 or more apiece, and chromed aluminum will cost about $500 a wheel. You might try eBay for OEM later model 18-inch rims from someone who is "upgrading" or talk to a knowledgeable dealer such as The Tire Rack, or someone local. A really good Cadillac dealer will have someone who can advise you.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

If it was me, I would go for some later year cadillac chrome rims. But I like keeping everything stock too.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

post-4951-1180120436_thumb.jpgI do really like these newer cadillac oem rims, but can't seem to find them anywheres reasonibly priced, from what I seen cardio doc has none and thats the only place on ebay id go....What do you guys think of these and would they look good on my car? They are 17's at least a little bigger than what I have now and i like this style the best, and does anyone no a good spot to look for them I'm going to keep my eye on cardio docs supply and hopefully he will get some in...By the way thanks for the input I do now realize that my beakes would be showing which wouldnt be bad if they were bigger and had cross drilled rotors and new calipers...But since I wasn't looking to get into all that I am going to keep looking, Thanks

Those are the same ones I have and I love them. They're flashy, but not too flashy. I'll keep a look out on ebay and other places.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

When I got my 93 STS, I looked at a number of wheel styles, before I went with 97 El Dorado wheels.

. They allowed me to stick with the stock tire size, which keeps the transmission and the electronics happy.

. Maintained original ride height, and handling ability.

. Maintained the proper offset, no problem with the tires rubbing; very little clearance here.

. I want people to look at the nice wheels and car, not the brake parts.

. I like the stylish looks it gives to the STS (the stock wheels made it look like a Toyota).

I would suggest looking at some later Cadillac wheels, before making your final decision.

By the way, beautiful paint color on your car.

-George

I think those wheels look fine but I tend to like stock upgrades rather than aftermarket. I bought the same wheels as George on ebay. Really nice when they're cleaned and shined. One thing I do want to get are brake dust shields. I also checked for aftermarket wheels but felt stock wheels would be better. Stock chromed wheels seem to weight less than the lower end OEMs. Also, I wanted to stick with Cadillac--but there is nothing wrong with buying aftermarket wheels if that's what you prefer. If you haven't already, you might want to check ebay for some stock wheels--maybe you'll stumble upon some that you like. As far as showing too much, I tend to agree that it would be best to dress-up the calipers and make sure brakes are rust-free.

Those are the same ones I have and I love them. They're flashy, but not too flashy. I'll keep a look out on ebay and other places.

[/quote

Yes they are very nice, probly the nicest style rims in my opinion besides the new DTS rims from 93-04 What size tires do they take?

I've been toying with an upgrade when my current tires wear out, and I'm thinking six-spoke chromed aluminum 18-inch rims. These are available aftermarket, but of course if I can get my hands on later-model Cadillac wheels that would be my first choice. I wouldn't go with 17-inch rims because there isn't enough difference to be paying that kind of money. I want a significant handling upgrade without paying more of a price than I'm paying with my current Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires, which are hard as a rock.

I just did a search on eBay for 18" tire-rim combo deals and turned up 18 hits, three from OEM STS's and most of the rest Escalade wheels. They are out there.

I wouldn't go with 17-inch rims because there isn't enough difference to be paying that kind of money.

Well Im not picking those ones only because they are 17inchs they are just my favorite looking rim if im going to go oem.

Something like this?

This is my car before i bought it.. i like to see it with those rims but i asked the guy to place the originals underneath it and we agreed on a price without the rims.

Too bling bling for me.....

Afbeelding469.preview.jpg

If you are in complete control..... you are not going fast enough....

no idea of the brand but i believe they were 21 inch.

One other picture i could find.

Afbeelding472.preview.jpg

Hey I felt like adding my 2 cents even though you've had plenty of advise already. I'm on my 3rd Caddy and likely on my 5th set of wheels. I've had all the sizes between 16 and 20 :) and even though some might not agree I loved my 20" the best based on looks. They made the car way too stiff though. The best compromize I can recommend is what you're thinking. 18" wheels and 245/45/18 tires. One tip that I would give with that size is go for a wheel that doesn't have a deep lip design. When a wheel has a deep lip design it takes away a little from the size of it. So a wheel that is 18" with a deep lip will look smaller then one without it. I know it really isn't but trust me it looks more like a 17" wheel. I've been around wheels long enough to learn that. I've just put on a set of 18" Boss 318 with 245/45/18 tires and they look great. (in my opinion :) ) let me know if you want a pic to give you an idea of what I mean. Either way like the other guys said it's all about what you like. If you love 22" wheels on your STS then in opionion knock yourself out. ( You likely will cause that is gonna be one stiff ride :D )

I've just put on a set of 18" Boss 318 with 245/45/18 tires and they look great. (in my opinion :) ) let me know if you want a pic to give you an idea of what I mean.

I would love to see a few pictures of them, where did you get them from?

Actually i made the test ride with the 21inch rims underneath it and have to say it wasn't that firm of a ride.

I expected a lot firmer that is (as i expect my wife to be firmer here and there, tough luck, but that's another discussion...)

Actually i made the test ride with the 21inch rims underneath it and have to say it wasn't that firm of a ride.

I expected a lot firmer that is (as i expect my wife to be firmer here and there, tough luck, but that's another discussion...)

I have 255/45x18 with 35 PSI front, 33 PSI rear, on my '06 White Lightning DTS with the optional Cadillac 18 inch, 9 spoke, chrome wheels.

I think it looks pretty good but it does have a pretty firm ride. Not like a "REGULAR" Cadillac. But "I" like it :rolleyes:

Posted Image

I MAY HAVE FOUND MY WHEELS!!!

Now you guys tell me what ya think of these cause to me I think there beautiful, and be honest as you were before what will these look like on my sts you guys have been a great help so far.... I also know that cardio doc is the best caddy wheel seller going on ebay, but has anyone from Canada ever delt with him, is the shipping expensive...anyways just tell me what you think of the wheels I can always email him and ask him what the shipping is.

O ya and does anyone no what size tires would be needed for these rims I have to start adding those in as well....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-17-inch-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

As i already said... way to bling bling for my taste.

But then again, it's about what you like, not what i/we like!!

I've had rims shipped from Cardio Doc up to Orillia, Ontario.

Its been awhile, but I think the shipping was around $100, and duty was around $30.

However, I never could've found my rims up here, and the condition was honestly

described by "Doc".

No surprises, I'd deal with him again.

I like the pictured rims ... a little bling on a Caddilac isn't such a bad thing.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived