CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Runaway Throttle

WarrenJ

A few minutes ago I enjoyed (?) a very strange experience.

Leaving a local 7-11 convenience store, I started my car in the normal fashion. Suddenly I heard some a-hole revving the piss out of his engine. Now, this is not entirely surprising in a 7-11 parking lot. You probably know.

What WAS surprising, however, was what I saw on the dash: my tach was merrily dancing between 4K and 6K rpm. CRAP! Killed the ignition.

Okay, so I started it again. Same thing: some 7-11 a-hole was under my hood goosing the throttle! Scary.

What to do now? Well, I pumped the pedal and started the steed again. It started at about 2K rpm and fell to normal idle within 1 second or so.

WTH?

Ideas?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I guess hanging/binding throttle cable; had that on my STS. Replace the cable, or with the car off work it back and forth in its sheath by pressing and releasing the gas repeatedly in order to attempt to loosen it up. But replacement is good.

Upgrade to a new CTS or STS, as they are drive by wire and don't have this particular issue.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Upgrade to a new CTS or STS, as they are drive by wire and don't have this particular issue.

Now why didn't I understand that obvious solution? :)

Actually, I prefer to remain in the two door family: another Eldorado is next!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I guess hanging/binding throttle cable . . .

I'd have a little trouble with that as the car idled perfectly prior to shutdown at the Seven-Eleven.

The problem occurred on startup.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I'd have a little trouble with that as the car idled perfectly prior to shutdown at the Seven-Eleven.

Regards,

Warren

I guess you checked the obvious ... part of your floor mat getting caught on

the accelerator pedal?

It sounds simple, but I've done it while driving, and it scares the hell out of you.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

That is truely strange, because in my eldo it will not allow you to free rev the engine over 4000 rpms. If you floor the pedal in park it will jump right to 4000 and not go any further. Not that I do this often but when I had problems with my car missing I would have to rev it to get the miss to go away and when it does finally catch the motor revs quickly

Regards,

Warren

The throttle body could need cleaning.

Regards,

Warren

the accelerator pedal?

It sounds simple, but I've done it while driving, and it scares the hell out of you.

My wife had that happen in the '96 last fall. She said her car was racing and I drove it - sure enough, it was idling around 4000. When I opened the driver's door to release the hood, I saw the floow mat on the lower part of the accelerator pedal. After I repositioned the floor mat, it was fine.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

the accelerator pedal?

My wife had that happen in the '96 last fall. She said her car was racing and I drove it - sure enough, it was idling around 4000. When I opened the driver's door to release the hood, I saw the floow mat on the lower part of the accelerator pedal. After I repositioned the floor mat, it was fine.

Thats when a dealer decides to replace the mat and pedal. :P

The Green's Machines

1998 Deville - high mileage, keeps on going, custom cat-back exhaust

2003 Seville - stock low mileage goodness!

2004 Grand Prix GTP CompG - Smaller supercharger pulley, Ported Exhaust Manifolds, Dyno tune, etc

1998 Firebird Formula - 408 LQ9 Stroker motor swap and all sorts of go fast stuff

the accelerator pedal?

Thats when a dealer decides to replace the mat and pedal. :P

:lol: Or the dealer says, "The engine really should be replaced - it's a well known prpblem and we can fix it for $8000.... :lol::lol::lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived