CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Decisions, Decisions

Autonews (subscription required) is reporting that Cadillac is trying to decide on key next steps.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...efsect=BREAKING

As Cadillac enters the second phase of its revival, they must decide:

Whether to approve a long-delayed ultra-luxury car costing more than $150,000 (see column, above).

Whether Cadillac needs an entry-level model priced under $30,000. Taylor is reluctant; he prefers to keep the CTS as Cadillac's lowest-priced car. Lutz says he is open to an entry-level Cadillac, but it won't be the European BLS sedan.

Whether to keep or discontinue the front-wheel-drive DTS sedan, Cadillac's top-selling nameplate. Taylor says he's undecided; Lutz prefers to phase it out and keep the rwd STS

Also noted is that the President's new CAFE goals may have finally killed the hoped for V-12 and V-16 development.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Sorry.

"Subscription Required" does NOT work for me.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

That's why I quoted the important part of the article. Autonews is nice but at $155/year is pricey.

Bruce

Noted and understood.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

As Cadillac enters the second phase of its revival, they must decide:

Whether to keep or discontinue the front-wheel-drive DTS sedan, Cadillac's top-selling nameplate. Taylor says he's undecided; Lutz prefers to phase it out and keep the rwd STS

I don't understand something, here:

Is Cadillac thinking about discontinuing its top-selling nameplate, the DTS sedan? (I can't fathom why they would stop making their best selling car.)

or

Is Cadillac thinking about discontinuing its front-wheel-drive version of the DTS sedan and going to a rear-wheel-drive version of the same car? (That makes more sense to me.)

What more does the article say about this?

Thanks

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

See above:

Whether to keep or discontinue the front-wheel-drive DTS sedan, Cadillac's top-selling nameplate. Taylor [head of Cadillac] says he's undecided; Lutz prefers to phase it out and keep the rwd STS

and also this:

But in a separate interview, Lutz flatly stated that the DTS replacement should be rwd

My opinions:

GM's perception is that luxury cars should all be RWD or AWD, and they would like to have all Cadillacs be RWD platforms. However, the DTS continues to sell well enough as a FWD that it is hard to decide to change it.

My Wife does NOT care which wheels are the drive wheels, as perhaps many buyers don't. They see the current DTS as larger and roomier than the current STS, and buy based on that, even though the STS has better technology, chassis, etc. We have not seen a true RWD replacement for the DTS yet, as it is due in 2010.

Bruce

I think they should keep the DTS FWD. They have the v-series and sts and cts for RWD performance. Leave at least one FWD for the people who just want to cruise in a luxurious caddy.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Many "snow country" folks, myself included, prefer front wheel drive.

AWD is fine but gas milage suffers w/AWD.

Although, you do really need rear wheel drive if your going to do a proper doughnut.

Many "snow country" folks, myself included, prefer front wheel drive

AWD is fine but gas milage suffers w/AWD.

Although, you do really need rear wheel drive if your going to do a proper doughnut.

I grew up on RWD and I'd be pleased to stick by it. It's what God and GM intended after all. ;)

During the years I owned my '95 Eldorado FWD was a blessing here in the NYMA.

Thanks to global warming, however, this past winter in the New York Metropolitan Area appears to have made FWD unnecessary.

Every dark cloud has a silver lining. :P

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

I want an updated powertrain for the DTS. The RWD northstar is a good increase of 292->320hp, but just putting in the 6speed automatic would be an improvement. The DTS has been getting good marks for ride and handling for a luxury car; update the transmission to a modern unit and keep the evolutionary changes each year, and PUMP UP the advertising / brand identity / info on the STS and get it selling better.

Bruce

They see the current DTS as larger and roomier than the current STS, and buy based on that, even though the STS has better technology, chassis, etc.

That is the major reason I went with the DTS instead of the STS. I would much prefer rear wheel drive, but I wanted the biggest Cadillac they made and that I could afford. Sitting in the STS it just felt a good bit smaller than the DTS.

Posted Image

The STS has a longer wheelbase, (space between the front and rear axles) but the DTS has more rear leg room. The STS has a higher top speed, more HP, better cornering, 6 speed auto, etc. But yes lots of people identify the DTS/Deville as the big Cadillac.

Bruce

The STS has a longer wheelbase, (space between the front and rear axles) but the DTS has more rear leg room. The STS has a higher top speed, more HP, better cornering, 6 speed auto, etc. But yes lots of people identify the DTS/Deville as the big Cadillac.

Interesting info about the wheelbase. I don't really care about the back seat. Just me and Darling Wife. Darn it, I knew I should have taken one for a drive. I did sit in one on the showroon floor and somehow it just seemed smaller then the DTS. I possibly made the wrong choice this time. Oh well, I will know better next time.

Posted Image

All good, as you got the Cadillac you wanted.

here is a poorly formatted comparison from www.cadillac.com:

Dimensions 2007 Cadillac STS V8 Luxury 2007 Cadillac DTS Sedan

Wheelbase (in.) 116.4 115.6

Length (in.) 196.3 207.6

Height (in.) 57.6 57.6

Width (in.) 72.6 74.8

Track (front) 61.8 62.6

Track (rear) 62.3 62.2

Curb Weight (Auto Trans) (lbs.) 4006 4009

Seating (std) 5 5

Seating (max) 5 6

Head Room (front) (in.) 38.7 38.3

Head Room (rear) (in.) 37.9 38.4

Hiproom (front) (in.) 54.6 57.3

Hiproom (rear) (in.) 55.6 55.7

Leg Room (front) (in.) 42.6 42.5

Leg Room (rear) (in.) 38.3 42.0

Shoulder Room (front) (in.) 58.6 60.0

Shoulder Room (rear) (in.) 57.4 59.2

Cargo Volume (mfr.) (cu. ft.) 13.8 18.8

The DTS is wider and has more hiproom and shoulder room, so it feels wider.

Bruce

Interesting dimensional comparison. It appears that the DTS and the STS are very similar except that the DTS is longer and wider overall, has a wider cabin with more rear seat leg room, and has one-third more trunk space. I'll go along with the good marks for ride and handling for a luxury car.

As for the 2010 DTS, a 6-speed automatic transmission, rear wheel drive, better chassis technology, presumably a higher quality interior along the lines of the 2008 CTS, and the Ultra V8 engine. WOW, I can hardly wait!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

I'm really anzy to find out what the Ultra will put out for HP and what it will get for mileage. I'm sure we'll all be stunned.

-Dusty-

- 02 Seville STS, white diamond

- 93 Sixty Special, Tan with vinyl top

- 79 Coupe DeVille, Tan with Tan top

- 06 GMC Sierra Z71, Black

- 92 Silverado C1500, black and grey

- 83 Chevy K10 Silverado, Black and Grey

b80385550.jpg

Archived