CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Water Pump Removal/Impact Wrench

MAC

I bet that thing takes a year to fill the tank up to 120..

Once it did, though, it'd be good for at least some short burts

I wouldn't think you would get more than 10-20 seconds of good full power operation though.

MerryChristmas

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

Be a Capitalist or work for one.

IPB Image

Work for a Capitalist or be one.

MerryChristmas

It is not the air pressure, it is the cfm, in other words the volume of air. It takes about 5 cfm of air to run a impact, but varies from different manufactures.If you need a air compressor reasonably priced try harbor frieght, like 90385-4VGA it is $99.99

Heavy duty 2.5 HP rated motor

Air delivery: 5.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI; 7.2 SCFM @ 40 PSI

Oil lubricated pump

Thermal overload protection

Dual capacitors for fast, easy starts

Easy-to-read pressure regulator gauge

Clear view oil window for easier maintenance

High impact ABS shroud protects the motor

CSA certified

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=90385

I highly doubt you will find any compressor that would run an impact off of 12 volts at least not a air impact, you can buy 12 volt electric ones don't know how well they would work.

The "up to" qualifier for air flow tells me that you get that much when the tank is at 0 psi. At 120 psi the flow is zero. I think it would power your impact wrench for short bursts, i.e. for loosening and tightening bolts, but you are using arm power for the rest.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

MAC

I have a 12v impact that you are welcome to try if you like. I also have an aircompressor to use. I am just waiting on a strong impact wrench to arrive. I bought a Craftsman AC and it came with a tool set. The impact is supposed to be rated at 250 ft/lbs max. But I am really only getting about 80 ft/lbs. That may be enough, but I am not sure. I am in Woodbridge.

Don

"Modern warriors saddle iron horses of chrome."

Don't waste your money on that Mac. It will never keep up with the air flow (cfm) demand of a pneumatic impact. It is meant to fill a tire in an emergency. Not much more.

I just read the sellers feedback comments.

There is a complaint....here,

Not very impressed with the compressor, and it was over priced.

Buyer danielg502( 1 ) Oct-17-06 19:23 270034501968

Reply by awsumfn: Compressore Was Not Designed To Fill 7 Gallon Air Tanks! Designed For Tires Only

It says right in his reply, these are only good for tires.

I would stay away from this one.

Big Jay ;)

p.s. by the way, I copied and pasted the comment from his feedback, so the spelling mistake is his, not mine.... :lol:

Life is too short to grow up!

Don't waste your money on that Mac. It will never keep up with the air flow (cfm) demand of a pneumatic impact. It is meant to fill a tire in an emergency. Not much more.

No problem--I won't buy it. I appreciate the info on what to buy so I don't make a mistake and end up buying something I can't use. The compressor that caddypete suggested looks good--I think it's the best considering my needs and cost. It has a nice CFM rating at an affordable price. It may not be a heavy duty contractors compressor but for $99, plus shipping, I can't go wrong. I also found serveral other possibilites (but again, I don't think they're a better buy than what caddypete suggested):

1. 2.5 HP 6 Gallon Electric Air Compressor NIB

2. New Eaton Contractor Professional Air Compressor

3. Air Compressor 2 HP mfp: Pit Bull

4. DeWALT D55155 2-3/4HP Electric H DUTY Air Compressor

Also, I saw a Stanley 500 lbs./ft impact wrench in Wal-Mart for about $80. It was rated at 4.2 CFI @ 90 psi. So, for about $200 I can buy a nice set up.

MAC

I have a 12v impact that you are welcome to try if you like. I also have an aircompressor to use. I am just waiting on a strong impact wrench to arrive. I bought a Craftsman AC and it came with a tool set. The impact is supposed to be rated at 250 ft/lbs max. But I am really only getting about 80 ft/lbs. That may be enough, but I am not sure. I am in Woodbridge.

Don

Thanks Dadillac, I might take you up on your offer. However, I think your right that an electric impact wrench probably won't cut it for extracting a well seated Northstar water pump. The other day I bought a 12-volt impact wrench at PepBoys but ended up taking it back because it wasn't generating any torque. I could hold the socket in my hand and the shaft would just spin. :rolleyes: As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." Anyway, after considering all the input it appears the best avenue is a pneumatic impact wrench. How much did the Craftsman AC cost?

Mac,

Keep in mind that most air tools eat a lot of air. A compressor with a small tank will get bled down rapidly by a high volumn tool. Then you sit and wait for it to fill up. Then you rapidly bleed it down and the cycle continues. I have upgraded 3 time til I now have a 220v 6hp 60 gal tank. Remember, along with hp, cfm @ 90 psi, & tank size, you have to consider duty cycle. If you run the compressor almost continuously, you'll burn it out. Get the biggest that you can afford and have room for, because one tool leads to another. After the impact, you'll want an pneumatic ratchet, then an air chisel, etc.

MAC

Don

Thanks Dadillac, I might take you up on your offer. However, I think your right that an electric impact wrench probably won't cut it for extracting a well seated Northstar water pump. The other day I bought a 12-volt impact wrench at PepBoys but ended up taking it back because it wasn't generating any torque. I could hold the socket in my hand and the shaft would just spin. :rolleyes: As the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for." Anyway, after considering all the input it appears the best avenue is a pneumatic impact wrench. How much did the Craftsman AC cost?

The compressor was about $318 with tax. It is a 33 gallon, 2hp oilless compressor. Definitley not as powerful as Rangers (I wish I could have gotten one that big and powerful) but it does okay. It came with a free set of tools. Impact, ratchet, air hammer, and a 25" hose. The impact that came with it is pretty weak. I am getting plenty of air, but nowhere near the rated power. So I bought a larger more powerful impact from www.harborfreight.com. Harbor Freight takes about 2-3 weeks to ship, so I am looking at about Halloween for delivery. I do not know where you live, but if you are able to still drive the car, we can set-up a day and time, and get the pump changed.

Don

Well Harbor Freight came through big time. I got my order today (took 5 days instead of two weeks) and tried the new impact. Works beautifully. I got the 1/2" Earthquake impact. Cost $80 before shipping. Day and night comparison to my weakass Craftsman.

Don

I just tried to remove the water pump using an 18-inch breaker bar and a 2 ½ foot pipe. I was unable to remove the pump by turning it clockwise so I took franey’s advice and flattened the water pump’s ears with a regular screwdriver and a few taps with a hammer. Worked like a charm. I sprayed PB Blaster and turned counterclockwise with at least 400 lbs. of torque and I still couldn’t get the pump to budge. I did find that the removal tool locks on to the pump with no slipping when turned in a counterclockwise direction. The Bottom line—I must buy an impact wrench.

One other note, I put on the new aluminum pump cover and now my Eldorado is running hot. The temp rises quickly to 225+. There must be air in the system which is preventing proper water circulation. I noticed when I took the cap off the expansion tank water was bubbling out but it was cool. The hot water was in the upper hose and around the water pump. The bottom hose is warm to hot so it looks like the thermostat is opening up.

Make sure you buy some oil for that impact wrench. You don't want that thing to wear out on you. A few drop after every use will go a long way. I oil my Ingersol Rand impact wrench almost every day, and my Blue Point air rachet every friday (doesn't get used as much).

Mac, are you absolutely certain that you installed the thermostat the correct way? I am not trying to insult you, but many people do it. The spring end goes in towards the engine/water pump. Your quick heat up and bubbling would be symptoms of this.

Danbuc, good call on the oil. I will not be using the air tools to often, so them wearing out isn't a major concern. I have a small bottle of oil that I am using. A water seperator/oiler is on my list of needed items.

Don

Mac, are you absolutely certain that you installed the thermostat the correct way? I am not trying to insult you, but many people do it. The spring end goes in towards the engine/water pump. Your quick heat up and bubbling would be symptoms of this.

Don

That's OK, I'm not insulted at all. I appreciate the input.

I've been going in and out this evening to see if something will give and the temp will cool down. At this point, I think the thermostat is not opening. I did install it correctly with the spring end inside the aluminum cover and the thermostat end that opens is pointing towards the radiator. The aluminum cover is abnormally hot—In fact, cool water will bead on its surface. Water is still bubbling out of the expansion tank—At first it’s cool and then it turns hot as the heated water from the engine eventually reaches the tank. So, I tend to believe the thermostat must not be opening. Does this sound right? If it's the thermostat can I remove it without causing a problem until I buy a new one?

The thermostat is an aftermarked (I believe Stant) and the spring end bottoms out inside the water pump cover and I have to slightly press it down (about 1/8 inch) when I tighten the two securing bolts. Is this normal or is the thermostat too long? right?

MAC,

A year ago I had to replace a heater pipe on my 4.9, and the water pump got some air. As soon as the engine overheated I knew there was air in the pump. I disconnected a heater hose from the heater valve (the "T") on the top of the engine, and poured coolant into the hose. Problem was solved immediately. I am not familiar with Northstar cooling architecture, but you may find a similar solution.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mac,

Check your purge line to be sure that is free flowing. If it got clogged, it will not purge the air from the system.

Not sure where the purge line is. I believe it's one of the hoses connected to the bottom of the Expansion Tank?

I think the thermostat's not working. I'm going to remove until I can replace it this evening. Piece of aftermarket crap--It's only a couple of years old. :rolleyes:

You can test the thermostat by putting it in a pan of water and placing it on the stove. Turn on the stove and as the temperature gets close to boiling, the thermostat should start to open.

IPB Image

Mac,

Check your purge line to be sure that is free flowing. If it got clogged, it will not purge the air from the system.

Not sure where the purge line is. I believe it's one of the hoses connected to the bottom of the Expansion Tank?

I think the thermostat's not working. I'm going to remove until I can replace it this evening. Piece of aftermarket crap--It's only a couple of years old. :rolleyes:

The purge line is the 3/8" line that runs from the pump housing to the top side of the surge tank. Remove it from the surge tank and there should be coolant flow (flow should increase with RPM so it may just spit at idle).

I purchased an air compressor and impact wrench (Husky 735 lbs./ft reverse torque) and was finally able to remove the water pump and complete the job. The impact wrench jolted the pump enough that I was able to use my breaker bar and 2½ foot pipe to break it loose. I purchased a 2.5 HP air compressor with a 6-gallon tank and 6.3 CFM @ 90 PSI. Though a small tank, it fills quickly and provides more than enough CFMs/PSI to run an impact wrench. Because there is little reserve PSI the pump will kick on when pressure drops to 80 PSI but fills up in seconds. Since I don’t have a garage I had to buy a portable compressor. I filled the compressor tank and brought it outside. I didn’t have electricity so I used what I had in the tank. Just glad the job is finished.

P.S.: Thanks for all the help!

post-253-1162173558.jpg

I purchased an air compressor and impact wrench (Husky 735 lbs./ft reverse torque) and was finally able to remove the water pump and complete the job. The impact wrench jolted the pump enough that I was able to use my breaker bar and 2½ foot pipe to break it loose. I purchased a 2.5 HP air compressor with a 6-gallon tank and 6.3 CFM @ 90 PSI. Though a small tank, it fills quickly and provides more than enough CFMs/PSI to run an impact wrench. Because there is little reserve PSI the pump will kick on when pressure drops to 80 PSI but fills up in seconds. Since I don't have a garage I had to buy a portable compressor. I filled the compressor tank and brought it outside. I didn't have electricity so I used what I had in the tank. Just glad the job is finished.

P.S.: Thanks for all the help!

Glad to hear you got 'er done! Where did you pick up the Husky and what did it run you?

Archived