CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

98 STS sending unit

bigjayzway

I have never dropped a tank but as you say, I don't believe it could be too difficult. I would use a sheet of plywood under the tank after having run the fuel level down to between E and 3... I think a floor jack centered on the tank should let it down easily. I would put the car on 4 jack stands.

It is very annoying for me to have to deal with this fuel level issue right now, but I have bigger fish to fry with P0717/ISS sensor right now. I think I would need to fix the fuel sender issue to sell the car. I think that the fuel level sensor is available as a separate component.. If it is, I might consider replacing just the level sensor since I am getting rid of the car as soon as possible. Thanks

Car problems never happen at a convenient time. I jacked the rear of the car up and put ramps under the rear wheels - the front tires remained on the ground. I think I used a piece of 2x6 on top of the floor jack to lower and raise the tank. Are you sure there is not a bad connection to your fuel sender somewhere?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

No I have not determined that it might be a bad connection.. I kind of just assumed it was the sender.. I'll check however

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

You just have to remove the carpeting in the trunk, and you will see it between the rear seat back and the spare tire well.

Yeah, near the upper right corner I think. I had a "freebie" tank filter change due to some bad gas, and the dealer had to take photos for evidence. Sure was a lot better than dropping the tank!

But it doesn't cover 70% of the floor, maybe 4X6 inches.

On the fuel sender. Yes, there is a test for corrosive gasoline called the "silver strip" test. If you use gasoline that fails this test for long periods of time, guess what? The fuel sending unit is silver plated, unlike some cars which use gold, and the unit becomes defective. Gasoline that comes pre-refined from overseas (like Russia or Venezuela) is often brought into costal port. In a lot of cases this product fails the silver strip test.

I have never heard of this being done, but it is just barely possible that a suface cleaning of the wiper contact, with something like 1000 grit wet/dry paper and WD40, just might restore the unit to working condition.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

After the third fuel pump with two dieing on the road, I cut an access panel on my 97 GMC for the next one. But I never let the tank go below 1/4 tank any more either, and have a new pump in a box in the tool box.

Bob B

Do you have any explanation for this repeated failure?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

After the third fuel pump with two dieing on the road, I cut an access panel on my 97 GMC for the next one. But I never let the tank go below 1/4 tank any more either, and have a new pump in a box in the tool box.

Bob B

Do you have any explanation for this repeated failure?

Regards,

Warren

Hi,

Three pumps in two and 1/2 years. 97 gmc 5.7

The only thing I've found is running the tank too low too often.

Some say the fuel pump is kept cool by the fuel, others deny this explanation.

My tank is very clean inside and the filter and intake sock were changed each time.

The original Delco lasted for 105,000 miles for the first owner. He lives in remote north eastern california so he kept the tank fairly full.

I on the other hand let it run low often. Two failures were on the road, one time pulling a fifth wheel trailer. It is very inconvenient.

It was done by a shop where they dropped the tank.Used Carter from NAPA. The second was local and I got it towed home. I had just driven up 1500 ft. to get home from the Sacramento valley on a 105 degree day. It wouldn't restart after a stop at a market. I lifted the bed to replace it because the tank was full at the time.

The third was 100 miles from home after stopping at a convenience store with a 3/4 full tank.

By then I carry a pressure gauge and also know where the test jumper to run the pump is located.

Got towed home again. This time I used Delphi (new name for Delco). It failed three months later in a different way. all the others just died, This one failed to hold pressure but it pumped, just had no power. New enough for warrantee replacement. While the tank was down, I marked and cut the access hole.

Using Delphi again and it's been good for a year so far. Also have a new AC Delco spare pump in the tool box in the bed.

Bob B

I went through the same thing on Chevy S10 Blazers in the late '80's and early '90's. Three vehicles, two pumps each and the last one had #3 failing when I dumped it. Last Vortec I ever owned. My suspicions were that it was caused by the high fuel pressures they run (60 psi), but that is just a hunch.

No I have not determined that it might be a bad connection.. I kind of just assumed it was the sender.. I'll check however

Hi,

THere is a Technical service bulletin for the gmc chev family about the connector to the fuel pump going bad. I hace a picture I took of a friends 97 Tahoe plug that cost him twice for a fuel pump replacement around $450 each time. Then it failed again in the Aridzona desert two days after a replacement. The shop never even looked at the connector or if they did, they did nothing about it.

The connectors get loose and thn proceed to heat up anf corrode badly.

NAPA has a poster of the tip and shows the picture.

Bob B

Hi,

THere is a Technical service bulletin for the gmc chev family about the connector to the fuel pump going bad. I hace a picture I took of a friends 97 Tahoe plug that cost him twice for a fuel pump replacement around $450 each time. Then it failed again in the Aridzona desert two days after a replacement. The shop never even looked at the connector or if they did, they did nothing about it.

The connectors get loose and thn proceed to heat up anf corrode badly.

NAPA has a poster of the tip and shows the picture.

Bob B

Thanks Bob, I will look into that...Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I need it, YES!

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Archived