CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Should I?

jigsaw48

A friend of mine is selling his 1993 cadillac sevile for 1700. Although the car has a blown transmission, that i think will cost 2000$, it seems to be a beutiful car, and looks like a joy to drive. Does anyone have anything to say about this? should i buy it? :huh:

Well, just my 2 cents.... I dont think the tranny will cost ya 2k. Depends on where you at, but it shouldn't run you that. Also, take into effect what miles the motor has on it. If it's got alot of miles, it may not be worth it. Also, body shape and all that other little stuff. Believe me, I had to wait a long time to find a decent caddy in a good price range. 1700 doesn't sound too bad, considering the tranny. IF everything else is fine on it, and it's a good looking car; run that. Try to see if you can get it for 1500 even. Good luck on your cadillac endevour.

I don't think it's a good deal. According to http://www.kbb.com The private party value for a 93 deville in good condition is about $3000. I'm guessing it will run about $2k-$2.5k for a transmission including labor. $1700+$2000=$3700. Not a good deal, you can do better.

Thats a little steep.

I got a quote for a rebuild trans. from a dealer, they said $4500 installed = ~$3500 USD.

There are quite a few STSs in AutoTrader for under $7k = ~$5500 USD, take a look.

-Chris

You are all quoting prices to have a 4t80e rebuilt. A 1993 Seville assuming it isn't an STS has a 4t60e. That would be much cheaper to have rebuilt. If the mileage isn't too high, the engine runs good, and the rest of the car is in good shape, I'd say it isn't a bad deal.

And Dan, a DeVille does have a lower book value than a Seville.

If I am wrong and it is an STS, they are probably right, the 4t80e is much more expensive and it probably isn't that good of a deal.

If you can get it to a mechanic to get an estimate, that would be wise before buying the car.

Larry is right - it may be a minor problem with tranny. i would check the codes to get an idea. Besides, the codes should they appear might show more problems existing.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Check the codes first and you may find other problems or the answer to your trans problem ;) If this check comes up clean than get an est. on the Trans. You can than make an offer based on cost of repair and car value in good running condition.

Lou

94 Seville STS

Archived