CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car stalled out going down the highway

Well I guess the problems begin!

I was driving down the road at about 40mph and the engine shuts down, it was as if the key had been turned off. I got it stopped and put in park and it fired right back up and ran perfectly. Then on my way home it did it again sitting at a stop sign. I had checked the codes earlier in the day concerning an unrelated problem and found no codes, but I checked it again anyway and still no codes.

My searches found several topics talking about the Crankshaft Position Sensor, where its located, and how to replace it. I'm no mechanic, but it seems do-able.

I guess I just need someone to verify my diagnosis before I order the parts. I will order the AC Delco parts instead of making the usual trip to Autozone.

Also, do I run the risk of causing and damage by continuing to drive the car until the parts come in?

2001 Deville, Sterling Silver exterior with Dark Gray leather, 93k miles

Although I think you are correct in suspecting the Crankshaft position sensors, you should run the codes to verify that that is your problem. That is the only way we can verify your suspicions from this distance.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I ordered the new AC Delco Crankshaft Position Sensors from Rockauto.com today. Very reasonable, $103 shipped to my door.

Crankshaft positions sensors are common to be faulty on 2001/2002 year models. Easy job, no need to to a relearn. They will relearn by them selves but it will only take a bit longer.

Crankshft position sensors. Replace both at once; if one is acting up the second will be sure to follow.Not a difficult job to rplace with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet, 10mm socket and long extension. It can be done without removing the oil filter adaper. I replaced the CPSs in my son's '03 STS and broke one of the sensor connectors (ham fisted at 10:00PM), which can be a risk without removing the oil filter adapter. What I did was in trying to snap the connector off the upper CPS with a long screwdriver the screwdriver slipped and pulled a wire out of the connector...

Thanks for the info guys, as soon as the new sensors come in I'll put them on. Will post afterwards with any problems I may have encountered.

My "check engine" lite came on today, so I attempted to pull the codes again to see what was going on. I must not have been doing it right on my first several attempts, because I got codes this time!!

I looked up the codes but dont fully understand most of the info I am looking at. Any help would be appreciated as to what the codes mean and what I need to do about them.

PCM P0386 current (crankshaft position sensor b performance)

PCM P1106 history (MAP sensor circuit intermittent high voltage)

IPM B0429 current (temperature control #3 rear circuit range/performance)

IPM B1004 history (keep alive memory)

IRC U1064 history (lost communication with DIM)

IRC U1016 hisory (lost communication with PCM or loss of class 2 communication with VCM)

The PCM P0386 currect was what I was looking for, so I guess its a good thing I ordered bothof the new sensors for that. I went ahead and reset all codes and it turned off the "check engine" lite.

My "check engine" lite came on today, so I attempted to pull the codes again to see what was going on. I must not have been doing it right on my first several attempts, because I got codes this time!!

I looked up the codes but dont fully understand most of the info I am looking at. Any help would be appreciated as to what the codes mean and what I need to do about them.

PCM P0386 current (crankshaft position sensor b performance)

PCM P1106 history (MAP sensor circuit intermittent high voltage)

IPM B0429 current (temperature control #3 rear circuit range/performance)

IPM B1004 history (keep alive memory)

IRC U1064 history (lost communication with DIM)

IRC U1016 hisory (lost communication with PCM or loss of class 2 communication with VCM)

The PCM P0386 currect was what I was looking for, so I guess its a good thing I ordered bothof the new sensors for that. I went ahead and reset all codes and it turned off the "check engine" lite.

The P0386 current...or the P1106 history is most likely what turned on the CHECK ENGINE light.

The B0429 is for the rear seat AC.

The last three kinda indicates that the battery has been disconnected recently.

Posted Image

Thanks Jims,

The P0386 current should be resolved once I get the new sensors installed.

As for the P1106 history, does this mean the MAP sensor should be replaced as well?

I rarely have rear seat passengers, so the rear a/c is not really an issue.

Thanks Jims,

The P0386 current should be resolved once I get the new sensors installed.

As for the P1106 history, does this mean the MAP sensor should be replaced as well?

I rarely have rear seat passengers, so the rear a/c is not really an issue.

No, the MAP sensor error can be set when the car thinks its running and its not... like during a stall. Replace the Cranky Sensors clear the code... drive for a week or two and see if the MAP code comes back... If it re-occurs then (and only then) take a look at a new MAP sensor...

Bad Crank Sensors are VERY common on ALL 2000,01,02, and early 03 NorthStars, Aurora V8s and 3.5L ShortStars.

As was posted above Replace BOTH sensors regardless of the fact you only have the "B" sensor code... The computer uses one sensor to test the other... the problem is that when on fail intermittently the computer just guesses at which one just caused the problem... Plus even if the computer guessed right the other sensor will fail in short order anyway.

Good Luck

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

I installed the new crankshaft position sensors last nights and everything went really well. Thanks to all the great information on this website the installation was very smooth. :) I managed to get them in without removing the oil filter adapter, it was a little tight, but no real problem.

Thanks again guys for all the comments!

Glad to hear all went smooth

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Good job.

Now clear the codes and we will hope none of them come back. :D

Thanks Jim, I reset the codes right after the install.

Hopefully they wont come back!!

I'll steal a quote from another member "happiness is a Cadillac with no codes!!" :lol:

Archived