CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1998 STS

I am looking for some assistance today.....Lately I have been experiencing engine stalling at lower speeds, like when slowing down to make turns or approching stop signs and traffic lights. Engine stalls, but then fires right back up, at least for now. Any suggestions or common problems.....

Thanks

I'll have to check into that....what is typical cost of said sensors?????

Check out gmpartsdirect.com and rockauto.com for OEM parts.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Mine did this as well. So did a few other posters here. Putting in new crank sensors fixed my problem and a few others had success as well. I took mine into my mechanic to do. It is a fairly easy job to do but I was too busey to do it. I think it cost me less than $300 and my hands stayed clean.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Are these new sensors or different (better) sensors? Did GM receive a batch of poor sensors in the 1998-2000 timeframe? I recall this problem only really occuring in a narrow model year range -- like 1998-2000 or something like that.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Different supplier is what I remember from posts several years ago. And I think the time frame was 2000 - 2001.

My '98 factory installed pieces continue to work just fine.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

The bad sensor went all the way into the 2002 model year. Try cleaning your throttle body. I'd bet it's probably pretty gunked up with carbon and such. They have also been known to stick and cause low speed stalling. All you need is a can of TB cleaner and a rag (maybe some other rags to keep form getting the TB cleane ron connectors and wiring too).

Another possibility is the VCC (Viscous Converter Clutch) solenoid not disengaging. That should set a DTC. Kind of like stopping a standard trans without stepping on the clutch.

I think we are talking to ourselves here, The original poster has contributed nothing in the last 7 days. No codes, no results, no nothing.

Probably a Lincoln owner by now.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived