CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

spring adjustment

davedog

one thing I alway liked about my deville was that when I popped the trunk open, it would sping all the way up by it self

on my 92 eldo it opens, but only springs up a few inches.

Yesterday, I noticed that there are three notches that the springs on either side can be hooked into. But even with the trunk fully opened (so that the springs are less tense) they are too "springy" to move to a further notch to increase the trunk's "springyness"

Is there a special tool for this, or some method? I think I could get the springs off if I really wanted to, but, I don't think I could get them back on by hand.

Thanks ahead of time!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

I had that same problem with my wifes '96 Bonneville. I'm not sure if it is the same setup but I had to use a piece of 1/2" pipe for more leverage on the torsion bar. That made it quite easy.

thanks a ton larry, but either I'm not sure what the heck you are talking about, or we don't have the same setup. I just finished taking a couple pics to help solve this. Here are some pics of the left trunk lid spring

CLOSEUP of the three "notches" for what I assume is for adustment of how "spingy" the trunk should be:

spring_close.jpg

And here is a shot of the whole spring for referance. The other end just hangs in a single hole:

spring.jpg

Keep in mind: it looks as easy as just lifting the sping out of the notch and sliding it into the next, but that spring in POWERFUL! :blink:

OK, yours is a bit different than my wifes Bonneville. It has a torsion bar spring instead of a coil spring. You obviously need to move it to the middle or last position BUT as you say there is a lot of tension on that spring and if it comes loose in the process you will play hell getting it back on. It is hard to say from that picture just how to go about it. Perhaps a C-clamp from behind if there is something to set it against to pull it in to the next notch. The service manual would have the procedure but I assume you do not have one. Another thought, maybe a 2' long 1/2" or less ID pipe over the end of the spring and use your foot to push it to the next notch? Just don't let it slip :o Where there's a will, there's a way.

one thing I alway liked about my deville was that when I popped the trunk open, it would sping all the way up by it self

on my 92 eldo it opens, but only springs up a few inches.

Yesterday, I noticed that there are three notches that the springs on either side can be hooked into. But even with the trunk fully opened (so that the springs are less tense) they are too "springy" to move to a further notch to increase the trunk's "springyness"

Is there a special tool for this, or some method? I think I could get the springs off if I really wanted to, but, I don't think I could get them back on by hand.

Thanks ahead of time!

Get a friend to hold (force) the trunk lid more than wide open (toward the rear window) and maybe the spring will relax????

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

yeah, tried that....the sping still has too much tension to move it <_>

I know there must be a trick to this that I am overlooking. :P

I know there must be a trick to this that I am overlooking. :P

Get inside of the trunk with a flashlight and have a friend you trust on the outside with a key. Close the decklid and you should be able to then move the spring.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I think closing the trunk will put MORE tension on the spring.

that is correct, the spring is in it's least tense state when the trunk is all the way open. But even then it is VERY tense! :blink:

Maybe someone with a '92 service manual can scan the proceedure.

Is that a hint, Larry? ;)

Ok, let me look and see what I can find. Give me a day.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

OK.....I found it in the service manual. I'll scan it and post it tomorrow, it's about 3 pages.

Meanwhile, here's what the book says:

Extension Spring

The rear compartment extension springs are adjustable to increase or decrease operating effort. Upon release, rear compartment lid must rise to full open position.

ADJUST

1. Open rear compartment lid.

2. To increase the opening height of the rear compartment lid, stretch the spring or springs forward to the next notch on hinge.

3. To decrease, release spring tension by moving to the appropriate hole or notch.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Way to go Marika! Maybe you don't have to scan all or any of it. By the picture it is evident what needs to be done but how? Does the manual show or say how to go about it?

DaveDog,

Just an idea... I just went out to the garage to take a quick look at mine. Same setup of course. Mine is on the center notch and it always operates perfectly, even when I don't want it too! :lol: I press that stupid button on my remote all the time because it is in the same position as the unlock button on my Tahoe! :rolleyes:

Anywhooo... Why dont you try taking a piece of pipe or a sturdy pole of some kind that is about the same length as your arm, or maybe a little longer, and slip that over that hook end of the spring. Then place a board or some padding of some kind against the other end and place this against your rock hard abs! (I am assuming you have rock-hard abs right?) ;) Then while your are leaning forward with your weight against the spring, you should still be able to guide the spring forward into the next notch or two.

As Larry mentioned, take your time and don't let it slip. Wear saftey glasses too, just in case. Good luck!

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Way to go Marika! Maybe you don't have to scan all or any of it. By the picture it is evident what needs to be done but how? Does the manual show or say how to go about it?

Nope...that's all it says. No mention of tools or "how to".

I guess you could hire hercules or superman?

I called up the guy at the dealer that adjusted my springs. He put them at the last slot (greatest tension) to help them lift my "spoiler enhanced " deck lid. He used a PUSH BROOM, with a piece on conduit slippen on the end. The conduit was flattened (on the end), with a slot cut into it, to grab the spring end. The bristle end against the chest of a hefty guy, leaning and pushing, while the "helper" repositioned the spring. Hey, all I know is they moved my springs. BE CAREFUL :unsure:

rek

OK.....I found it in the service manual. I'll scan it and post it tomorrow, it's about 3 pages.

Extension Spring

The rear compartment extension springs are adjustable to increase or decrease operating effort. Upon release, rear compartment lid must rise to full open position.

ADJUST

1. Open rear compartment lid.

2. To increase the opening height of the rear compartment lid, stretch the spring or springs forward to the next notch on hinge.

3. To decrease, release spring tension by moving to the appropriate hole or notch.

lol, well that tells us alot...thanks though....

I was thinking maybe a crow bar, and slip the spring into the notch on the end of the crow bar and push?

thanks for all the ideas.

i'm just afriad that it will come off and I'll never get it back on again! :blink:

OK.....I found it in the service manual.  I'll scan it and post it tomorrow, it's about 3 pages.

Extension Spring

The rear compartment extension springs are adjustable to increase or decrease operating effort.  Upon release, rear compartment lid must rise to full open position.

ADJUST

1.  Open rear compartment lid.

2.  To increase the opening height of the rear compartment lid, stretch the spring or springs forward to the next notch on hinge.

3.  To decrease, release spring tension by moving to the appropriate hole or notch.

lol, well that tells us alot...thanks though....

I was thinking maybe a crow bar, and slip the spring into the notch on the end of the crow bar and push?

thanks for all the ideas.

i'm just afriad that it will come off and I'll never get it back on again! :blink:

I have an idea....

Take it back to the body shop that did the trunk and ask them to adjust the springs. I'm not sure that you should take the risk and hurt yourself or your hands trying to do it.

I didn't get a chance to scan the pages, let me know if you want them and I'll get it done tomorrow.

We had a blast of snow today so I really didn't want to carry more than I needed to going into work.

thanks marika....why don't ya just scan the whole book for me while you're at it.....lol

j/k

ANYWAY, the scans might help, if it's not too much trouble...

thanks for all your help.

:D:D:D

thanks marika....why don't ya just scan the whole book for me while you're at it.....lol

j/k

ANYWAY, the scans might help, if it's not too much trouble...

thanks for all your help.

:D  :D  :D

I'll take care of that for you tomorrow.

By the way, there are four (4) 1992 Seville/Eldorado Service Manuals up for bidding on ebay. I got mine on ebay and it's the best money I spent on the car so far.

here's the links to the auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=34212

and here's another one:

and another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=34222

and yet another one:

It will be the best $$$ you spend on your Caddy.

Cheers!!

:)

http://www.geocities.com/girlperson2

Go to the above site...

Once you are at the site, you can download the PDF file for "Body Rear End" which is listed under the section for "Select pages from the 1992 Eldorado/Seville Service Manual".

If you need more pages or information, let me know and I'll scan then and upload them to that site and you can then go get them at your convenience.

thanks so much marika. you've been a great help. I just won one of the shop manuals on ebay, so hopefully it will be here soon.

the scans look great by the way....thanks again

thanks so much marika. you've been a great help. I just won one of the shop manuals on ebay, so hopefully it will be here soon.

the scans look great by the way....thanks again

That's what we are all here for.... ;)

Archived