CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

4L NS fuel leak recall

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040311/autos_gm_recall_1.html

DETROIT, March 11 (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - News) on Thursday said it would recall about 93,000 Oldsmobile Aurora sedans to fix cracked fuel lines after reports of more than 35 fires in the vehicles.

GM said its recall covers Auroras from the 1995 to 1997 model years equipped with the 4.0-liter V-8 engine.

"These vehicles are experiencing ... an unusual number of leaks," GM spokesman Jim Schell said.

Schell said GM had reports of 35 fires and potentially three minor injuries related to the leaky fuel lines.

The automaker will install a stainless steel fuel line to correct the problem after parts become available in May, Schell said.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Still watching this topic with interest, to see if they expand that recall to Cadillac models.

Safety recalls of this nature are usually free to the consumer, regardless of whether or not you bought it new or used, is that correct?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The tea leafs are lining up.....Its a bit like the Firestone tires/ Ford Exploriers. I even called my inlaws when I first figured out what was going on. Turns out they had Goodyear tires....... But when, theres a recall in Brazil.....

At first there was a denial in the US that there was a problem.

If they are pulling in the Olds ones...the Cadillacs are next. I suspect they currently have 'some' parts available. They are not ready yet to issue the for Cadillacs yet....not enough replacement parts available. They are trying to get the Olds out of the way...buy some time to build more parts for the Cadillacs.

Whats really interesting.....is there was a post about a month ago where someone saw a company tooling up to make SS fuel lines for the Northstars.

do you think this recall will eventually include my 92 Seville SLS?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

It is an interesting coincidence. I was replacing the plugs on my 96 STS last week and I was surprised to see vinyl fuel lines on the fuel rail. I haven't had the car long so that was the first time I noticed. I guess we will have to wait and see if the recall includes the 4.6 Northstars as well.

Not a chance. Yours has a completely different engine (4.9), plus the fuel rail is made out of stainless steel.

Not a chance. Yours has a completely different engine (4.9), plus the fuel rail is made out of stainless steel.

oh thank G-D for that!!! You see, sometimes OLDER **IS** better!!! ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

That was stupid to make the fuel lines from vinyl. At least use teflon which is inert to petrol hydrocarbons.

How different is the 4.0L fuel rail from the 4.6L fuel rail? I would think they're the same. Unless the injectors are different sizes or something, and require different sized mounting holes?

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The rails for 98 up are exactly the same, I think. My 97STS is pretty close to my 96 aurora the connections at the end are just different and in a different location. I wonder if I will be able to get a refund for the rail I just changed on the Aurora even though it is vinyl.

I did some looking at that vinyl tube, it looks as if it is only rated to -30 not great for MN.

Archived