CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New 06 STS

Spurlee

My girlfriend picks up her new 2006 STS today. It's black on black with chromes and the C-package which gives you everything. All wheel drive, too. Pretty much top of the line Cadillac before you get into the perfomance set...

At my suggestion, she swapped out from a Mercedes; it was too much money for too little car. There's probably a $300/Month difference in price. It was a great machine, drove well and looked great. Fit and finish was top notch. Just too much engineering and associated cost for a guy brought up on 1970's vintage American iron. (I don't need gas-assisted soft-close exit handles but I would expect a compass on a $70,000 "touring" car...)

Anyway, my old-guy rule book says that there's not a lot of fanatacial process to breaking in a modern engine - don't get on it for the first 500 miles or so and vary the load and RPM range as well. No 700 mile Kansas highway trips with the cruise on. Personally, I'd change the oil at 3,000 miles (though I typically let the monitor advise me) but will defer to whatever the manual says - if it says anything on the subject.

Any other suggestions?

Scott

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Good Luck with it! I love the look of the STS, I was oggling one yesterday at the dealer... Keep us informed as to your impressions! I am especially interested since you have your Mercedes experience... Good Luck, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

My girlfriend picks up her new 2006 STS today. It's black on black with chromes and the C-package which gives you everything. All wheel drive, too. Pretty much top of the line Cadillac before you get into the perfomance set...

Anyway, my old-guy rule book says that there's not a lot of fanatacial process to breaking in a modern engine - don't get on it for the first 500 miles or so and vary the load and RPM range as well. No 700 mile Kansas highway trips with the cruise on. Personally, I'd change the oil at 3,000 miles (though I typically let the monitor advise me) but will defer to whatever the manual says - if it says anything on the subject.

Any other suggestions?

Scott

1) Compass should be built into the NAV system

2) Break in... was this a factory order... i.e are you and your girlfriend the first drivers? If this is an "off the lot car" Its probably already been driven enough not to worry too much about it.

BUT If it hasn't gone 500 miles yet.. here is what GM says to do:

Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in the long run if you follow these guidelines:

Do not drive at any one speed, fast or slow, for the first 500 miles (805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts.

Avoid making hard stops for the first 200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time your new brake linings are not yet broken in. Hard stops with new linings can mean premature wear and earlier replacement. Follow this breaking-in guideline every time you get new brake linings.

Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See Towing a Trailer for more information.

The early Oil change thing is Old School... This used to be required to replace the filter which would be all clogged up with Cam shaft assembly lube... This was used on flat tappet lifters... Assembly lube on roller cams is motor oil...

But on the other hand changing the oil at 3000 miles... can't hurt either...

Congrates on your new baby...

BTW I have had a couple of factory ordered cars and I never followed the

"Do not make full throttle starts" suggestion and never had any problems as a result...

(200,000 Miles on a 3.8 V6 and over 300,000 miles on a 305 V8) I believe this is more to do with the life expectancy of the differential not the engine... But I could be wrong.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Take especially good care of that car. One of us here might be its proud new owner in a few years. :D

Many happy miles!

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Whoa Baby! :o

Just got a call from the girlfriend and is she PISSED! She's taking the car back to the dealer now. Apparently the seats don't work properly, the bluetooth won't fire up, the convenience entry exit won't work and the remote lock/unlock won't work either...along with several other electronic bits and pieces. She's pretty electronics savvy, so I'm sure there's someting wrong.

You know, we had similar new car glitches with the other STS's and El Dorado's we owned and worked through them. Quality was the issue, though, that she used to move to Mercedes. She said, "We always have stupid quality problems with Cadillac - too many for a $50,000 car! I'm going to Mercedes". Guess what, the Mercedes crapped out in the garage two days into it and always had a floating electrical problem.

Nonetheless, here we are.

Thanks for the advice about break in, it's pretty much what I thought.

The NAV looks pretty cool and, yes, there's a compass built in.

The car will talk to you in several languages - I picked Italian. You can theoretically enter words for a custom greeting. I'm thinking about entering "You worthless son of a *smurf*" as my greeting in high volume so it reminds me of my first wife.

Scott

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Her salesperson at the Dealer should have offerred to go over details on her car with her such as how to get the bluetooth working, entry/exit, etc. and straightened out whatever. Good that she is storming back over; sometimes it helps them focus wonderfully.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Her salesperson at the Dealer should have offerred to go over details on her car with her such as how to get the bluetooth working, entry/exit, etc. and straightened out whatever. Good that she is storming back over; sometimes it helps them focus wonderfully.

Yes, they did, and tried. He couldn't get it to work but she figured it was operator error on his part (older guy - traditional Cadillac salesman, 30 years in the business, wants to help the little lady who reminds him of his daughter...) Honest to God, last night she said, "I don't know how these guys can sell their cars when they don't know how the functions work...". Turns out, they just didn't work, period.

Oh well...now she's in a red Pontiac loaner which also is pissing her off. What's with this dealer, don't they have a Cadillac around to give someone? I've got to say Mercedes wouldn't do that.

I'll keep everyone posted...

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

I feel, and to a great degree share, your pain!

Good Luck!

<Rant deleted by poster>

caddy.jpg

Greg

It is possible that the bluetooth in the car is working and the bluetooth phone is working, but they have inter-compatibility issues. There is a thread on http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=62555 where they end up trying to discover which bluetooth phones/PDAs work with which bluetooth vehicles. Apparently it is not all that mature a standard yet, and not all devices play nicely with each other.

Some phones may require new firmware upgrades to work well with car bluetooth setups according to this article

Bruce

Ahhh... all is well in Scott's household.

The dealer calls my girlfriend and says all the problems were from a bad plug in the seat apparatus so they cut it off - YIKES! - and replaced it with another one. (From where, I wonder). <_<

Anyway, we're set to take it to Wisconsin for the weekend.

It's really a fascinating car in terms of high tech stuff. Apparently there's a "help menu" built into the NAV system that covers most everything on the car and it's voice activated. If, for example, she says "Help, Phone" it displays a diagnostic help screen just like on a computer. Why not, it's basically a computer anyway!

The engine compartment is interesting - completely covered with vanity panels. No hoses or wires at all. No dipstick either - I believe you check your oil electronically. (Soon, remotely, I suppose). That's OK when cars are new and appliance-like but when they get like my 1996 El Dorado and you're looking for leaks and overall engine/belt/hose/fluid health it will be a pain.

I'm thinking the edge styling is OK. I may buy this one from her later...

I drive tonight, she fiddles with the NAV and whatnot.

Scott

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Yea, its going to suck to have that STS one day and have to remove the vanity covers! :lol:..... I dread the day :lol: Hopefully I will live that long and not kill myself rebuilding my 96

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

The engine compartment is interesting - completely covered with vanity panels. No hoses or wires at all. No dipstick either - I believe you check your oil electronically. (Soon, remotely, I suppose). That's OK when cars are new and appliance-like but when they get like my 1996 El Dorado and you're looking for leaks and overall engine/belt/hose/fluid health it will be a pain.

Scott

Nope, all you need is saying "Help. Leaks". :D

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

No... Don't say "Help Leaks"

The computer will reply,

"Specify preference, would you like a transmission leak, coolant leak, engine leak, steering fluid leak"

... "No wait STOP"...

"... Thank you... Processing... The Braking system is now leaking at your command... have a nice day...."

caddy.jpg

Greg

No... Don't say "Help Leaks"

The computer will reply,

"Specify preference, would you like a transmission leak, coolant leak, engine leak, steering fluid leak"

... "No wait STOP"...

"... Thank you... Processing... The Braking system is now leaking at your command... have a nice day...."

Hopefully the Guru will still be around when that happens! :lol:

Well, we took thr first trip with the car - 200 miles to Wisconsin and back.

Random thoughts -

Ride and drivability is great, plenty of V6 power.

Heated seats and steering wheel are great - plenty warm and they don't shut off "nanny-like" as with the Mercedes.

Nav is sort of cool - easy to use and very informative. Distances/times/immediate and next 2 exit amenities/etc. Dual screen view is very nice. Route instructions are spot on for our one test. Works as advertised within realistic expectations.

As-you-approach lock/unlock is nice - just like my old 1996 Corvette. All cars should come with this handy but unusual feature.

She signed up for a periodic diagnostic e-mail from Cadillac. I don't know the details yet but I believe they remotely take a set of readings from the car (oil life remaining, etc.) and e-mail you with the status. It might send you a heads up e-mail concerning maintenance items, I don't know yet...

Fit and finish are excellent. Call me in 2 years and let's see how they hold up.

Overall, a lot more car for the money than the Mercedes, more fun if you're a techno-geek, even if you're not I guess. No disappointments.

Scott

1996 El Dorado

2006 STS

2000 Corvette

Yes, I get the monthly diagnostic email. It is a nice service. Basically, the car calls home to Cadillac once a month and reports diagnostic information, then GM emails it to you. Just the monthly reports, unless there is an issue. For example, when my oil life left got under 15% or similar I got a special email warning that the CTS would need service soon.

Otherwise, the report is simple, and easy to understand.

Post a picture of the new STS when you have time.

I definitely want to get some sort of nav system next time.

Bruce

Well, I'm into my fifth month with the new STS and I already have about 7300 miles on it! I need to give it a break! I'm really beginning to enjoy the car. When I first got it, it seemed really small, much like my mother's CTS. It is considerably bigger but it still seemed small compared to my 98. It is a very comfortable, personal car, just like the 98. The navigation system is outstanding! I've used several and by far, this one looks the best and is the easiest to use. I think one of my favorite features is the Adaptive Cruise Control. It is the biggest kick to have the car slow down, brake, and then speed back up. It frees me up so I can play with the various controls, read a magazine, take a nap, etc. while the car driver. If it needs me, it flashes a red crash symbol in the heads up display and loud audible beeps alert me that driver intervention is needed. What a car!!

Is the GM report that everyone is talking about the Onstar report or a different one from GM? Onstar e-mails me monthly about the car and I just got a special saying that my oil life was below 20% and that I should service it soon.

I just got a new Treo 700 phone from Verizon. It doesn't work as well with the Bluetooth functions of the car as well as the Razr that I had. The Razr would display the incoming numbers but the Treo doesn't and will even sometimes display a different number! Verizon told me the phone is new and there should hopefully be software upgrades soon. It also never mutes the radio when I answer the call from the Nav screen. It always continues to play the music and the telephone call. It seems to be a common problem from what I've seen from other posts. Anyone know of a fix?

One thing that surprises me. There is nothing in the Navigation manual supplement or the onscreen help menu about using the Bluetooth name recall function. As I was storing names in the STS's Bluetooth phonebook, I noticed there was an option for a "NAMETAG." As you press the voice button on the steering wheel, you can say "Telephone Name" and then it will ask you for the name, ask you to confirm, and then call the name for you but again, there is nothing regarding this feature anywhere!

Max

It does seem that bluetooth is not all that standard a standard yet. We should probably start a reference matrix on which phones work well with the STS bluetooth.

The phone setup in my CTS, I hit the phone button, it mutes the radio and the A/C fan, and says "ONSTAR ready". I say "call". It says "Nametag please?" , and I say "Home Base" or "Wife Cell" or whatever nametags I have saved in the system.

One nice feature is when you start the call you can say "help" and it will tell you the commands that are available. I think I actually learned how to use the phone via that help list.

I have found that nametag voice recognition works best if you use two words for the nametag, like "Home Base" instead of just "Home".

Bruce

Thank-you both for sharing your experinces with these fine cars !

I have heard wonderful things about the V6 STS , but after having a few Northstars I think thats what I would still want. :)

Michael -

Archived