CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bruce ! Speed limit changing to 80 in Texas?!

stsjoe

By Associated Press

SAN ANTONIO — Speed limits would increase to 80 mph on two West Texas interstate highways under a proposal by the Texas Department of Transportation.

The Texas Transportation Commission could take up the proposed change, which would apply to Interstate 10 and Interstate 20 in West Texas, when it meets in Austin next week.

Oh -- I didn't even see that in the news. Not in my neighborhood, but it makes sense on those long, straight, empty highways in west Texas.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yeah - It was all over the news a couple of days ago - it must have been a slow news day. The safety pukes were all over the TV whining about how dangerous it was, etc. The same thing happened in Michigan in 1996 when the speed limit went from 65 to 70. The average speed was 75 when the speed limit was 65 and when it changed to 70, the average speed was 75.9...

Indiana FINALLY went back to 70, hopefully Ohio will follow!

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Coming from NY where the speed limit is 55..... driving 75 in Arizona was hair raising considering that the surrounding traffic was at 85, :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Yeah - It was all over the news a couple of days ago - it must have been a slow news day. The safety pukes were all over the TV whining about how dangerous it was, etc. The same thing happened in Michigan in 1996 when the speed limit went from 65 to 70. The average speed was 75 when the speed limit was 65 and when it changed to 70, the average speed was 75.9...

Indiana FINALLY went back to 70, hopefully Ohio will follow!

Yes I hate going home to Ohio its so slow :( I just dread the stateline...

Well folks,

I am a bit surprised by any government raising any speed limits, given the political climate on both fuel and safety. But then I used to live in Oklahoma and know how Texans like to have their license plate in front (I rather like a "pace car" or "sponsor"). And then they had the famous "Let the Ba$tards freeze in the dark" mentality about speed restrictions vs other states running out of energy. :(

I've been used to the Western states where most of the speed limits have been 75 for many years. Of course, there were many areas that were posted "Reasonable and Proper" - before that! :blink:

I drove my GMC pickup at the 97 limiter for almost 2-hours (about 1/3 on Interstate 80) to get to a recent Incident Response with our "Safety-Guy" on the phones next to me. Later that night, our 3-vehicle team was passed by a Sheriff's deputy on the way back when we were in the low 90's or so on a lonely 2-lane. :o

My daughter's last speeding ticket at 88 right past the NHP, in the the BRD (Big Red Dog) was called a "Waste of Energy" (no license points or insurance notice). I paid it 'cause I told her to "get after it" on the way to Vegas (hers was the leisurely portion). :P

All said, its hard to have a "cleaner profile" than a Caddy-Deville "Grampa Car", be wearing the seatbelts, cruise at 10% over the posted limit (that's about 82-83 around here), tap the brakes so they know you saw them and generally - be aware of traffic. I am never stopped and rarely given the lights as a warning. B)

IMHO :rolleyes:

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I understand that in Arizona, they're seriously considering raising the speed limit to 85.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

Archived