CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Service ride control

Haywood

I had Arnott passive struts installed on my 94 Seville and now the service ride control light come on every time I start my car. How can I disable this? I have searched this site and found instructions for 91 thru 93 Sevilles but nothing for the 94. Does anybody have an easy solution for this?

Thanks

Did you wire in the resistors ? If they are there check the connections out. Then you may try replacing them is this doesnt work after several trys . Then the suspension computer could be back. I've been around the block with mine, so I know what your going through. :(

Michael-

Have you spoken to Arnott about this? I thought they sold electronics to suppress the message?

How do you like the ride?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I had them installed at a tire shop. I don't think they wired in resistors because the service ride control message has always been on, even before I replaced my struts. I have not contacted Arnott yet. I was hoping that there was an easy way to disable the warning to keep it from appearing.

By the way, the ride is not bad. It is not the smooth floating feeling of the active struts but considering the savings I am happy with them.

That floaty feeling you experienced was a sign of bad struts I believe. Arnott, SHOULD be able to help you with this, they are suppose to have electronics that works especially on your year. I would call the tire shop and ask them and GET the electronics back from them if they did not wire them in. They should have or at least given it back to you. I would have a look under the car (do the front its easier) to see if they wired anything in.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That floaty feeling you experienced was a sign of bad struts I believe. Arnott, SHOULD be able to help you with this, they are suppose to have electronics that works especially on your year. I would call the tire shop and ask them and GET the electronics back from them if they did not wire them in. They should have or at least given it back to you. I would have a look under the car (do the front its easier) to see if they wired anything in.

OPPS That is right thats part of it too.

Michael

I don't know what codes were on before I changed out the struts, I didn't check the codes. When the service ride control light came on I took it to a couple of different shops and the dealer and they all said I needed new front struts. I didn't change the rear ones. If the tire shop that installed the front Arnott passive struts did connect the electronics I guess I could still be getting the service ride control message because the back ones might be bad too? I am not sure if they connected the electronics or not, I would assume that if it is just a wire that needed to be plugged in that they would have done that.

Anyway, is there a way to disable this message from appearing?

I have been getting the service ride control in my Eldo for over a year and a half. The codes that cause it are SO60 and SO61 which pertains to front position sensors, not struts. I was just curious how you came to the conclusion that you needed new struts.

I WD-40'd the small ball sockets on the position sensors when I did my brakes and the servive ride control light has come on only once so far. I have a pair of factory front struts on the shelf but I don't want to use them if they are not needed.

how do you resolve a code S061, for instance? replace the sensor, which means replace the strut? if your car seems to handle fine and you get the code, do you replace the strut, or install a resistor to fool the computer? i guess i am not 100% sure what to do with a code S060/061.

how do you resolve a code S061, for instance? replace the sensor, which means replace the strut? if your car seems to handle fine and you get the code, do you replace the strut, or install a resistor to fool the computer? i guess i am not 100% sure what to do with a code S060/061.

Hi,

Just to clarify, a S060/61 error has nothing to do with struts. These are error codes for the front position sensors only, not struts.

In other words, you can have faulty front position sensors (s060/s061) and have good struts.

However, when the front position sensors fail (either or both), the struts will be set to the FIRM setting only until the position sensors are repaired or replaced.

You ask, "how do you resolve a code s061".

Answer..

1/ Replace the sensors. (Very $$$) OR

2/ http://maydog.dyndns.org/www/struts/97_passive_replace.html (See 3/3/2005)

I designed a circuit to replace the front position sensors. It will allow your struts to function properly again and eliminate the service ride message. (S060 / S061)

Regards

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Does anybody out there know if this service ride control message can be turned off???

Theres really no way to just shut it off with out bypassing the computer.

Michael -

Does anybody out there know if this service ride control message can be turned off???

Theres really no way to just shut it off with out bypassing the computer.

Michael -

Hi there

I was told by GM that a dealer can reprogram the OBC to completely eliminate the Service Ride Control Message on Cadillacs up to and including 1996 models.

My local Caddy dealer says he knows how to do this and the cost is about 100.00cdn.

Here's the problem with that scenario.

I buy a used STS with no SRC message showing. I later learn that a

Goodwrench certified mechanic deleted a message without fixing the mechanical issue ... I'd be all over the dealer for poor business ethics.

Why would a dealer stick there necks out, not to mention that they're pushing away a high dollar repair and accepting just $100 for the risk.

I think the answer is to repair the struts with either expensive OEM parts, or passive struts and resistors ... I'm always suspicious of people wanting to turn off warning lights ... the potential is there to sell the car and its the next guy's problem.

I saw the opposite to this scenario this morning. While waiting on my brake job, a woman comes in and tells my mechanic she needs ball joints on her car. Could she please have it done for tomorrow, because she has just traded that car on a used Montana van. She received $2600Cdn for her trade, and the dealer never put her trade on the lift ... just quoted wholesale and inked the deal.

Her reasoning to me was Orillia is a small city, and in good conscience she could not drop off her traded car with a known repair issue ... trade was $2600, upper and lower balljoints will run her $500.

Restores my faith in decent people.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

• 1 year later...

I have a 97' Eldorado ETC and everytime I go over 50 MPH (exactly 50!) I get the message. You clear it by pressing the "info" button on the message center...then you press it again to clear the stability reduced message....Iv'e been having to do this since I bought my car....that's next on my to-do list after I fix my driver's side window.

Hope this helps

Archived