CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Off Topic - Do You Go To Illinois? Back 'er down if you do!

FYI

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. Second offense tickets are $1,000 with license suspension. Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense, but the SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city or state using PHOTO enforcements. The State will begin with TWO camera vans issuing tickets in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Pass this on to everyone you know !!!!

for more info: http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html

I usually speed on the expressway but I dont in construction zones. (Sorta like speeding in a school zone) I have no problem with strict enforcement where people are working. More power to them....

) I have no problem with strict enforcement where people are working. More power to them....

If you can actually find someone working! :D as opposed to holding up a shovel

I see lawsuits over this though. At the very least, I see many motorists getting out of the tickers. Say, if you have tinted windows and they cannot photograph the driver. Well they can prove it is your car, but they cannot prove whom is driving the car. It is not illegal to allow someone to drive your car so in court............they would have to be able to prove who was in that driver's seat when the infraction occured. I will take a jury trial please..............

Hey, you know them realistic masks they sell that make you look like Michael Jackson or Randy Moss? I loned my car to Randy that day.....................I swear ............good thing it was just a camera...........cuz he runs over traffic cops!!!!! LOL. Or, I loned Michael my car, but I would not let him take my kids.................hahaha

But in all seriousness..............it is not illegal to wear a mask while driving either. Hell, even a ski mask. Now instead of robbing a bank, you are just robbing the poor goverment of their fines...........that is a shame. We don't give them enough money to begin with.

I got a ticket on my way to Florida right before the state line still in Ga

for 92 in a 70 it was $422. The first one i had in years. But the great state of OHIO does not keep track of out of state tickets . thats a policy I can live with.

Michael ;)

FYI

Illinois will begin using photo radar in freeway work zones in July. Second offense tickets are $1,000 with license suspension. Beginning in July the State of Illinois will use speed cameras in areas designated as "Work Zones" on major freeways. Anyone caught by these devices will be mailed a $375.00 ticket for the FIRST offense, but the SECOND offense will cost $1000.00 and comes with a 90-Day suspension. Drivers will also receive demerit points against their license, which allows insurance companies to raise their rates. This represents the harshest penalty structure yet for a city or state using PHOTO enforcements. The State will begin with TWO camera vans issuing tickets in work zones with speed limits lowered to 45 MPH. Photographs of both the Driver's face and License plate are taken.

Pass this on to everyone you know !!!!

for more info: http://www.dot.state.il.us/press/r033005.html

Hey everyone,

Do your WOT's While you CAN!

We're all screwed...Now they can track us day and night

with no one around!

Wife just go a $100 ticket in CLeveland, Ohio ...Chester Ave.

Speeding, picture from the rear...

My question is...

Who has bought license plate covers designed to work with these

cameras?

What brands are best...

I need three sets, and I don't want to learn the hard way that I bought

on price, not quality.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom offered...

jim

I see lawsuits over this though. At the very least, I see many motorists getting out of the tickers. Say, if you have tinted windows and they cannot photograph the driver. Well they can prove it is your car, but they cannot prove whom is driving the car. It is not illegal to allow someone to drive your car so in court............they would have to be able to prove who was in that driver's seat when the infraction occured. I will take a jury trial please..............

Hey, you know them realistic masks they sell that make you look like Michael Jackson or Randy Moss? I loned my car to Randy that day.....................I swear ............good thing it was just a camera...........cuz he runs over traffic cops!!!!! LOL. Or, I loned Michael my car, but I would not let him take my kids.................hahaha

But in all seriousness..............it is not illegal to wear a mask while driving either. Hell, even a ski mask. Now instead of robbing a bank, you are just robbing the poor goverment of their fines...........that is a shame. We don't give them enough money to begin with.

They are not taking a photo of you they are taking a photo of the car and the plate. You had better have reported your car stolen and keep track of who borrows it and when....I don't think they care who is driving, its doubtful you will win that fight, driving as they say is a privledge.

This is a shame, you exposed your ethics and morals to me with this statement, "Now instead of robbing a bank, you are just robbing the poor goverment of their fines...........that is a shame". Now I will be on guard. Why would I be so lucky for you to have ethics with me, understand? And that can come into play here, I have lent tools, sent engines to members.....that I develop trust in.

Lets not forget that you are putting peoples lives at risk first and attempting to defraud the government second. This is a local police department attempting to make the roads that YOU drive on, safe for workers. Ethics are important for me. I'd turn your butt in so don't let me know about it :rolleyes:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

[...

My question is...

cameras?

What brands are best...

on price, not quality.

jim

Try a search for "Photo Blocker Spray" or "Phantom Plate" covers

Joe

[...

My question is...

cameras?

What brands are best...

on price, not quality.

jim

Try a search for "Photo Blocker Spray" or "Phantom Plate" covers

Joe

The spray won't work if the camera flash is off. The license plate covers are illegal in many places. Better to just stop at the red light.

You can read more HERE!!!!

IPB Image

I just read this article about that photo blocker spray:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/photo-blocker/

"So it would seem logical that if the camera and flash are above and to the side of the license plate that the light from the flash will reflect off at an equal but opposite angle. If this is true, then even if the license numbers were painted on a mirror, they'd still be visible to the camera, no?"

That photo blocker spray appears to be bunch of bs. The guy probably relabeled a can of spray glossy polyurethane and made a mint.

I personally never speed through construction zones. I just figured I'd pass along that info as I thought the fines were a little crazy. But hey, if that's what it takes to save lives, so be it.

They are not taking a photo of you they are taking a photo of the car and the plate. You had better have reported your car stolen and keep track of who borrows it and when....I don't think they care who is driving, its doubtful you will win that fight, driving as they say is a privledge.

Mike,

They may not care when they send the ticket, but in court I think they must prove it was you driving. They cannot charge you with an offense you did not commit. "Technically" you are innocent until "proven" guilty.

It's too bad that more focus is not being placed on keeping drunk drivers off the road since they cause over 50% of the fatalities. I just had a friend who was hit head on by a drunk driver who had no license and insurance. My friend and his wife are barely hanging on with life and will probably be maimed for life. It wouldn't surprise me if the drunk driver gets released after getting 3 months free room and board in jail. Once out of jail, nothing will stop this drunk from driving again.

IPB Image

Mike,

They may not care when they send the ticket, but in court I don't think they must prove it was you driving. They cannot charge you with an offense you did not commit. "Technically" you are innocent until "proven" guilty.

That is incredible, so I guess the car, oh sorry, YOUR CAR..... is driving itself! I totally disagree with this, if it is your car, you are responsible, unless as I said, you can prove your car was stolen.... If it was not stolen, WHO THE HELL WAS driving and THEY get the ticket, but SOMEONE is getting a ticket when you are risking peoples lives..

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

No, obviously your car is not driving by itself. But you are not chargable for someone elses crime or infraction of the law. Haven't you ever been ticketed before? You get the citation, not the car. I guess what I am saying is that I believe the photo would have to include the driver as well as the plates.

Quote from the IDOT press release:

"Photo enforcement vans will be equipped with cameras designed to record a clear image of the vehicle and driver, it’s speed, and registration plate. The registered owner will not be liable if someone else is driving the vehicle."

Also:

"Under the provisions of the Automated Traffic Control Systems in Highway Construction or Maintenance Zones Act of 2004, Illinois State Police were given the authority to use cameras to enforce work zone speed limits in cases where workers are present. It also requires that signs be posted when work zone speed limits are being enforced by camera."

What if workers aren't present? I take it they're not allowed to have automated cameras if workers aren't present. Troopers yes, cameras no.

I don't how many times I've driven through construction zones for miles and wouldn't see a single worker present, through the whole work zone. And then there's been times I wouldn't even see any construction vehicles, nevermind workers. I've been tempted many times to speed up through those no construction construction zones, but figured if I did, my luck, I'd get busted.

The law prohibits speeding through costruction zones, with workers present or not. Isn't that correct ???

I'm just realizing that press release is a year old...March 30, 2005. Dang my email is slow! LOL !!!

The law prohibits speeding through costruction zones, with workers present or not. Isn't that correct ???

Yep. it's that's simple. If it's posted, regardless of the details you'd better obey it. Choose to make your own judgement, and you're rollin' the dice... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I'm just curious if it would be zero tolorence (limit is 55 you do 56 you get a ticket) or if they have their own limit (say 60) before they pull the trigger. Just somthing I wondered about when you use automated ticketing, Speed limit on I-95 here is 55 and the Police went zero tolorence one weekend and it was a free for all!

PS I don't blow through Construction zones,I run between 6-8 over on the highway, under the limit in residential areas and I turn off the friggin phone before I start the car!

Joe

Amazing

I'm just curious if it would be zero tolorence (limit is 55 you do 56 you get a ticket) or if they have their own limit (say 60) before they pull the trigger. Just somthing I wondered about when you use automated ticketing, Speed limit on I-95 here is 55 and the Police went zero tolorence one weekend and it was a free for all!

PS I don't blow through Construction zones,I run between 6-8 over on the highway, under the limit in residential areas and I turn off the friggin phone before I start the car!

Joe

I can tell you that on the toll road they won't bother you at 10 over. In a construction zone I don't think they will be that lenient. This whole thing is because there where 2 construction workers killed last year or the year before within an month or two. In one case the driver was drunk. That said, I think they have to give some leway to allow for speedometer inacuracy (I have no idea how acurate or inacurate they are). I think they would have a hard time making 56 in a 55 stick in court, but I would not expect more than 5 MPH leway. Just a guess on my part.

Speaking of speedometer inaccuracies, I imagine those 20", 22", 24" aftermarket wheels really screw up speedometers. But judge, I wasn't speeding! Wouldn't the bigger wheels cause the speedometer to underestimate the true speed? i.e. speedometer says 55, real speed 60.

Like I said Ranger, just wondering. I travel I-64 mostly and down here they usually don't drop the speed limit but they will have a State Trooper with the lights on just to keep you on your toes (now the mixing bowl in D.C. or Malfunction Junction as its been called is another story :unsure: )

Yall take it easy, Joe

Archived