CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New to the board, Need help 94 Sedan Deville engine dies at 65-7 MPG

Chads

Hi,

I am new to this message board. Hopefully someone can provide some insight to my issue. I have a 1994 Sedan Deville. The engine cuts out at highway speeds, but not when driving around town. It has done it 3 times so far, only on the highway at about 65 MPH, and my local shop cannot find the problem. When the engine cuts out, the gauge pannel stays on, lights stay on, radio stays on, only the engine dies. After it dies, the car wont start, it just cranks. If I wait about a minute after it dies, it will start, but runs pretty rough. After about 5 minutes, it will start up again just fine, but will only run for a few minutes at highway speeds before dying again. The shop thaught it might be a fuel issue, and has replaced the fuel filter, and the fuel pump tests out fine. Does anyone here any any idea what the problem might be? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Hi,

I am new to this message board. Hopefully someone can provide some insight to my issue. I have a 1994 Sedan Deville. The engine cuts out at highway speeds, but not when driving around town. It has done it 3 times so far, only on the highway at about 65 MPH, and my local shop cannot find the problem. When the engine cuts out, the gauge pannel stays on, lights stay on, radio stays on, only the engine dies. After it dies, the car wont start, it just cranks. If I wait about a minute after it dies, it will start, but runs pretty rough. After about 5 minutes, it will start up again just fine, but will only run for a few minutes at highway speeds before dying again. The shop thaught it might be a fuel issue, and has replaced the fuel filter, and the fuel pump tests out fine. Does anyone here any any idea what the problem might be? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

Welcome. Did you notice how much fuel you had in the tank when it happened?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I would tape a fuel pressure guage to the windshield and keep my eye on it when the engine quits. Have they tested the fuel pump at highway speeds? Try changing the fuel pump relay.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel and write down any codes that are displayed on the information center. The codes (if any are stored) will provide a clue as to where to begin troubleshooting.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons on the climate control panel and write down any codes that are displayed on the information center. The codes (if any are stored) will provide a clue as to where to begin troubleshooting.

Thanks guys. I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow and check for the error codes. I also think I need to find a new mechanic. The guy has had the car for days, and has gotten nowhere. I'll report back on my findings.

Thanks,

Chad

Thanks guys. I'm going to go to the shop tomorrow and check for the error codes. I also think I need to find a new mechanic. The guy has had the car for days, and has gotten nowhere. I'll report back on my findings.

Thanks,

Chad

Why go to the shop when you can check the codes in your driveway as KHE said? Post your findings and someone will decipher them for you. Is your engine a 4.9? Start with the basics, check your battery contacts for corrosion or loosness. Could be electrical or in the fuel system. Could be Fuel Pressure Regulator or Bad PCM or ground.

Archived