CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Need some recommendations

KG6PSK

For the last few days I have been enjoying my STS like you wouldn't believe. The car is just plain incredible.

Now I am thinking of how I need to take care of my car.

My '91 Z28 and '97 Chevy Pickup both had K&N filters, and I would like to do likewise for my STS. Is this a good idea? The K&N website shows that they have a filter to fit my car. Is there any intake kits available?

Also, I am a big fan of synthetic oil. But I understand that synthetic may not be the best thing for all cars. What oil will work best in my car? I have heard good things about the Royal Purple brand of synthetic oil.

Lastly, with as often as I am driving my car, I am sure it will need to be cleaned soon. This is my first car with a leather interior and I am wondering what I need to do to take proper care of it. There is also the matter of washing and waxing, and so on. I'd like to learn how to clean my car right so it will look good and last a long time.

Mark

For the last few days I have been enjoying my STS like you wouldn't believe. The car is just plain incredible.

My '91 Z28 and '97 Chevy Pickup both had K&N filters, and I would like to do likewise for my STS. Is this a good idea? The K&N website shows that they have a filter to fit my car. Is there any intake kits available?

Also, I am a big fan of synthetic oil. But I understand that synthetic may not be the best thing for all cars. What oil will work best in my car? I have heard good things about the Royal Purple brand of synthetic oil.

You can run a K&N filter if you like... Lots of pros and cons on this... mostly cons... What we know for sure is that in the N* the K&N produces ZERO extra horse power... So the only reason to do this is the fact that the K&N lasts forever... Some tests that report to be "scientific" claim that the K&N let in more dirt... But they miss the fact that most of the dirt introduced into an engine is the soot that is created as the fuel is burned...There have also been some horror stories about fouled MAF sensors from people going hog wild with the oil kits... Short story...1) Horse Power: No 2) More Dirt: Maybe 3) Last forever: Sure 4) Engine Damage: be careful... I run a stock ACDelco filter.

Synthetic Oil, save your money... Lots of posts on this board from people who have found that synthetic oil and N* do not mix... common results, increased oil consumption, half case leaks, etc...

Regular old 5W30 Dino Juice is just fine for these cars and follow the OLM...

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Lexol is terrific, synthetic not necessary, K&N is for teenagers looking for more noise (and Bill K who seems to love them), :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Just keep your car factory. They designed, tested and built it. Cadillac Motor Division knows the best. That's what went into your car, The Best! If there's anything better they would had used it.

People on this board are really good at pointing you in the right direction for help with problems. I use my purchasing dealership (Cadillac) for all my service. Yes, it can get costly. But, my car runs like new and I have no problems having the car serviced by Cadillac.

Have fun and enjoy!

it was many moons ago and i can't give you a website to go to and check this but i have seen data that shows that k/n filters do let more particles through to the engine than a stock paper filter. the amount of extra "dirt" that gets through is still within the limits set forth by the manufacturers, but it does not filter as well as a paper element. jackg 90seville 100k

Everyone is correct about the K & N. Save your money unless more noise is what you want. It may last forever but you'll have to go about 250K before you break even cost wise (based on $6 -$7 I pay for a Fram air filter).

So far, everyone who has responded has been spot on.

As someone who used Royal Purple back when I first got my '99 Deville (Summer, 2001) all I really noticed about it was that the engine ran just a bit quieter with it. For the money I spent on the RP, I coulda bought 50 gallons of Castrol GTX....

I did that before I found these Caddy enthusiast sites, so I didn't know any better.

I forget where I saw it, but somewhere was a web post that waxed poetic about how good RP was in the Northstar, so I went and bought a 5 gallon drum of it...lol..blame it on my youth. I also (blush, blush) bought a Tornado...another useless piece of crap.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard P. Feynman

user posted image

Lexol is terrific, synthetic not necessary, K&N is for teenagers looking for more noise (and Bill K who seems to love them), :lol:

What may be "noise" so some of the older at heart members :rolleyes: is music to my ears.

I love to hear a horse growle. Its Grrrrate!!

What may be "noise" to some of the older at heart members :rolleyes: is music to my ears.

I love to hear a horse growle. Its Grrrrate!!

Don't I know that Bill! :lol:

Believe me, I know that NOISE, I use to take the air cleaner off of my Dad's 64 and 65 429's, to expose the Carter AFB and Rochester Quadrajet, just to hear that WAAAAAAAA........when the secondaries opened.. :lol:.... talk about sucking dirt, it once sucked the spun glass pad on the hood into the secondaries.... I did that trick until I set FIRE to the pad.... :o:lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

PM me with your address and I'll send you a used K&N panel filter for free, I won't even charge you for the 10,000 mile "break in"! AC Delco is the only way to go. If you really want to evaluate an air filter above and beyond what is posted here, (which I agree with 100%) it will take some time. The definitive test is by getting an oil analysis done and watching the SILICON levels in the oil. You'll need a background reading first, so get the oil tested after a couple of changes on your factory air filter. OH yeah, I almost forgot, if you want even MORE noise and MORE dirt in your engine put a K&N CONE INTAKE KIT on it! As a bonus, you will also suck in hotter air therby lowering your fuel economy.

As to motor oil, a pre '99 will require higher amounts of moly due to the flat tappet design on the 32 lifters! This, in my opinion means Havoline is about as good as it gets. After 1999, the Northstar went to roller cam followers, which are much easier on the oil. Any SM oil will be just about perfect in the proper grade, and you will get better CAT life as a bonus. Redline or Royal Purple might not be API certified (I don't know for sure) but if not, you are gambling with some high dollar repairs due to high ZINC levels (ZDDP).

I'm not a leather expert, but I can tell you where to find one..........The saddle shop or the shoe repair store, or maybe even Wilson's. These also seem to be the best sources for leather care products. My point here is, don't go to Wally World and ask the guy in isle 10.

Now here's one you will really enjoy! Learn to do the WOT manuever properly by reading the posts from the experts on this board. Once you learn to do it properly, and SAFELY, you can enjoy many years of trouble free service from your new GM vehicle!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

A great trick I always used was simply turning the air cleaner cover upside down. That way it would suck air from all around the diameter, bypassing the snorkle and preheater. It'd howl like a bear with his nuts in a trap. However, on a 50 degree rainy day, it'd ice up and slowly but completely plug the venturies.

I purchase my leather conditioner in "wally world" kinda store - actually it's sold in K-Mart, Wall Mart, etc. My seats look like brand new - not a single crack, discoloration etc., and soft like butter. Of all things, I purchased it 9 years ago because of the smell. Unfortunately, I am out of town, & can't think of the name. I know it comes in a brown bottle - maybe armour all. When purchasing leather conditioners, I thought it was important to use a conditioner that didn't leave a soapy smell - especially since I treat every 2-3 months. Just be sure you don't leave any build up in the seams. Also, I use a air compressor to gently blow out the sand & crumbs that somehow get in the seams. You don't want to rub that stuff into the seats. I find a white washcloth is best. let's you know the dirth spots, and also if you are removing any color :o -

also I use a soft bristle brush to get into the stitches on the steering wheel. with 95k, the wheel looks like new too.

Isn't it 10-w30 oil?

Synthetic is consumed more - I have been using since the car was new. I don't think it will "cause" leaks, as much as it is an effect - right?

Drive her hard and drive her often. Take her in once a year in tha fall and get her fully detailed inside and out and keep her clean in between.

Not much different than tha old lady. LOL

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Lastly, with as often as I am driving my car, I am sure it will need to be cleaned soon. This is my first car with a leather interior and I am wondering what I need to do to take proper care of it....

Mark

My rule for leather is 'treat it like your skin' and you might ask the females in your life for opinions.

The leather in my cars is gently washed with a mild detergent (Woolite is one of many) and conditioned with Mink Oil.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived