CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DISCONTINUED... WHY?

jinxed45

AMEN!!

I have always held the eldorado as my fav caddy, and now that I finally own one I can't understand why they took it away....think they'll ever bring it back?

And is it just me or was its exterior styling ahead of it's time?

I LOVE MY ELDORADO! :rolleyes:

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

The Seville sales surpassed Eldorado sales each year, so that I think it was not ecnomical to keep the Eldorado refreshed. Without more regular model updates, eldo sales continued to stutter. With the new models on the horizon and the marketing desire to move to 3-letter names, the Eldorado name was done.

I personnally would not object, however, if someone took an XLR and put an El Dorado name plate on it.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I think it's the fact that as the years went on, from both the front and behind, the Dorado and the Seville looked more and more alike, only thing separating the two 94s in rear design was basically that the Seville had the LED strip? Anyways, they were two similar, they had to choose one, STS = more reasonable for older people and well-off families (still the primary buyers at the time), and subsequently, they could charge more money for a better vehicle. Just my two cents, though.

I would've liked to have seen the SLS discontinued and the STS and ETC continued instead of the STS and SLS and no Dorado.

I personnally would not object, however, if someone took an XLR and put an El Dorado name plate on it.

lol

:lol::lol: :lol:

good stuff bruce!

I just can't understand how the sales wen down, this car is such a head-turner B)

oh well...

Huh? uh..El XLR? ;)

roughly translated: "THE XLR"....I guess...or something....

I need to go to bed... :P

Based on the older model Seville/STS. STS is going into its second update. Its really late '80s technology....design wise.

I think the latter Eldo was being built at plant 2 in Lansing.

That plant is now starting to build the Chevy SSR truck. I think the truck is being built basically by ASC.

I should also add. Take the Olds 2 door Cutlass as the example....

Best selling car in US years '75-76-77. That model gone after '87. The market changed.

Oldsmobile division gone 2005. Think about that!

2 door coupes are a very hard sell. Everyone wants 4 door cars. The 2 door Ford/Lic car is already gone.

They should have just made a four door model of the Eldorado, since that's USUALLY the only reason people choose the STS. I think the ETC looks better. I love the rear end of the Eldorado! Brings back some of the Classic CADDILAC look. My opinion.

Bruce, as for the 3 letter models, I know what you mean.. but they should just use "ETC"!!!

Man.. I love my ETC.

One could ask the same question of the famous Coupe DeVille.

It was not only the Cutlass but all the 2 doors in the Olds line with the exception of the Alero (a very sharp car in my opinion) even before there was no more Olds.

All of the 2 doors in the Buick line went bye bye. Remember the long running Riviera?

Only the 2-door Grand Am and Grand Prix remain at Pontiac - no more 2 door Bonnevilles for years now.

When you ask a question like "Why did they discontinue" something, look at the dollar. It's what drives everything in business.

I always drove 2 door cars through my nearly 62 years and a million and a quarter miles of driving and after my two STS's over the last nine years and 172k miles, I would find it hard to go back to cramming people into the rear seats of 2 door cars, as much as I like their styling.

I posted this once (or something like it) but it was lost in a glitch with my server. If it shows up twice, you'll know why.

I remember my mom bought a brand new Dodge Daytona [don't laugh] back in 91 I think. I just thought that was the greatest thing on Earth.. She even had a manual tranny..

I loved it until I had a growth spurt.. then banging my head and being hunched in the back seat wasn't fun

Ever ridden in the back of a Dodge Stealth? That's the worst!!

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

They should have just made a four door model of the Eldorado, since that's USUALLY the only reason people choose the STS.

Even with the operative word there being "USUALLY," I'm not sure that would hold up with the majority of STS owners...There's more to it than just 'doors'... ;)

We could always have one of those dreaded polls..."Did you by a Seville for just four doors?" <_<

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I've never really looked into Sevilles too much BECAUSE of the AWESOME look of the Eldorado. I'm shallow I guess. haha I buy cars for their looks, and not whats on the inside. (that's what counts right?)

Anyways, enlighten me on the advantages of an STS besides the four doors. Isn't it heavier?

I haven't checked the weights between the two. The STS is said to be 4,000 lbs and I can't imagine that the Eldorado ETC is THAT much less in weight.

Beauty is subjective and what you like might not ring my bell - otherwise, we'd all be chasing the same girl; but, when I first saw the 1992 Seville (which ran through 1997 pretty much unchanged) I was a goner. I, who had ALWAYS driven 2-doors thought it was the sharpest car I had ever seen. I had a '93 STS and thought I had the world on a string! I now have a 2000 STS and I like it; but somehow I have never liked its looks like I did the previous model. There are all kinds of people who won't agree with me on this; but, again, it's "in the eye of the beholder" and nothing they say will make me like the styling of the 1998 + cars as much as those perfect (in my mind) 92-97's

So, if the Eldorado is your thing - go for it! And also take care of it 'cause I think they may be gone for some time, maybe forever.

Beauty is subjective and what you like might not ring my bell - otherwise, we'd all be chasing the same girl; but, when I first saw the 1992 Seville (which ran through 1997 pretty much unchanged) I was a goner. I, who had ALWAYS driven 2-doors thought it was the sharpest car I had ever seen. I had a '93 STS and thought I had the world on a string! I now have a 2000 STS and I like it; but somehow I have never liked its looks like I did the previous model. There are all kinds of people who won't agree with me on this; but, again, it's "in the eye of the beholder" and nothing they say will make me like the styling of the 1998 + cars as much as those perfect (in my mind) 92-97's

So, if the Eldorado is your thing - go for it! And also take care of it 'cause I think they may be gone for some time, maybe forever.

Well thank you Dasher, I could not have said it better. I've also had a number of two doors, and a 2000 STS. But this '93..it stays in my collection B)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I don't know what ill drive when i can afford a new Cadillac. I'm 17 and all ive had is Eldorados a 95 and 98. In my opinion they are the best looking Cadillacs. They definitely need to bring back the Eldorado before its time for me to get a new one.

post-3-1078383009.jpg

Andrew Morris

Dallas, Texas

1998 Black Eldorado:

full custom Borla exhaust

Custom intake

1500 watt Hifonics amp

3 12inch Boston Acoustic G2 subwoofers

I-pod integrated

18 inch Lexani Krystals with Z-rated tires

E&G classics Billet grill

BMW E36 Angel Eye Headlights

Ported SS heads

I have always prefered 2-door cars just because I think they look sportier than the equivalent 4-door model. I've been particularly fond of the personal luxury coupe body style since the first Rivieras and 4-seat Thunderbirds came out in the early 60's.

I have owned some 4-door cars (the last one was an 89 Sedan de Ville) but, since my kids have grown up, I almost never had anyone in the back seat. Driving a big sedan just became rather pointless.

I love the final generation Eldo's and plan to drive them until I can afford an XLR!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Beauty is subjective and what you like might not ring my bell - otherwise, we'd all be chasing the same girl; but, when I first saw the 1992 Seville (which ran through 1997 pretty much unchanged) I was a goner.

Dasher, I said the same thing when i first saw the 1992 Seville. I was stunned. I just had to have one.

As to the demise of the Eldorado... Mostly it's a marketing issue. The current trend in the spendy car category is the sports sedan. Expensive 2-day cars just dont sell in any quantity. Not like in the 70's when the "personal luxury car" was the hot item of the times.

As to the demise of the Eldorado NAME... It's been around since the 50's and yeah i hate to see it go. From a marketing perspective I guess it sounds a bit dated.

The main difference between the Seville and Eldorado during the mid '90s was styling and door count. The cars are very similar in curb weight, wheelbase, etc. The dashboard and front seats are identical I think. Those of us who have Sevilles probably have them because we like the styling better than the Eldorado (I raise my hand). Those of you who have Eldorados probably have them because you like the styling better than the Sevilles. Like many of you, the '92 Seville just put me on the ground. What a stunning car. Considering I was 13 in that year, I figured I'd never in my wildest dreams be able to have a Cadillac like that. Fortunately, it was in the cards, and I did ultimately get my dream Cadillac and it's sitting in the garage right now.

In general, it IS hard to sell 2-door coupes. Continuing Logan's discussion earlier, the Olds Cutlass in the late '70s was one of the best selling cars in the world. It was built on the A-body platform. In 1982, the Cutlass Ciera cars (and clones) were introduced, and named the A-body. The A-body was GM's general family car platform, and it was the intention to discontinue the rear drive A-body cars and replace them with the downsized FWD A-bodies. Well, the RWD cars continued to sell strongly, and they kept that platform all the way through 1988, and called it the G-body. Technically, no cars were produced in 1988, but there were Cutlasses and Monte Carlos produced through December of '87 which were marketed as '88 models. Sales continued to slump through the mid '80s, despite some performance offerings on that platform (the Hurst/Olds, 442, SS, and Grand National packages).

The Ford T-bird eventually went away in the late '90s because of slow sales, only to be revived earlier this decade with mixed results. The Lincoln Mark VIII went the way of the Eldo too. I think Chrysler's only 2-door luxury coupe is the Sebring, which is mainly a convertible, so I think that's the draw there. Conventional 2-door personal luxury coupes are hard to move today (unlike just a few decades ago). I've seen concept drawings for a Lincoln Mark X, based on the recent new T-bird chassis. Maybe that'll revive the segment, who knows.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I suspect that if the GTO and CrossFire sell well, there might be a resurgence in upscale versions of those vehicles.

I think the key to both of those successes (if they are successful) will be RWD V8.

I also miss the Eldorado (and the Coupe DeVille). However, it seems likely that if any Cadillac would be produced as a coupe, it would likely be a variant of the CTS. I think the big (and relatively affordable) coupes are gone for good unfortunately.

I'm not sure sales explains everything. How many XLR's does Cadillac realistically expect to sell? With the Eldo sharing so many parts with the Seville, it doesn't seem like it would have cost all that much to have a distinctive offering like a large luxury coupe. If I recall correctly, originally the Seville was a version of the Eldorado (Eldorado Biarritz and Eldorado Seville), so it wouldn't have been inconceivable to make the Eldorado into a Seville Coupe (STC?) rather than dropping it entirely.

Personally though, I'd rather see the Eldorado (or any Cadillac Luxury Coupe) be RWD. A coupe version of the soon-to-be-realeased STS would be great, IMHO. After all, if they're going to really compete with the big luxury makers, then they need a coupe. (Jaguar XK8 and XKR coupe, BMW 325 Ci, M3 and 645 Ci, Mercedes C230, C320, CLK500, CL600, Bentley Continental) BMW and Mercedes in particular have an entire offering of coupes across their model range.

:o Woa.... lets back up the truck here. What year did they discontinue the eldorado???

I'm assuming they weren't selling enough of them any more.... now days everyone drives Sevilles and Devilles.... I don't see nearly as many eldorado's. The ones I do see are ussally a little older.

Cadillac is headed in a different direction right now, but it won't surprise me in a couple years they bring back a new stylish ETC. The Eldorado is a classic name and I believe Cadillac will do something with it down the road.

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Archived