CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello Everyone -

I am selling my 93 Seville after owning this great car for 9 years. I bought it in 97 & it is the first & only car I have ever had...so, needless to say, it is MY BABY & it is very hard to give up & will always have a very special place in my heart...but it is time.

OK enough of that, now about my car....

The car passed RI inspection including emissions in June which is valid until June of 2007. I also have all the maintenance records for the 9 years.

Faults:

- 1 cylinder has low compression

- The "service ride control" message is being displayed (code I039)

- There is a small oil leak

- Any other faults I consider to be normal wear & tear for a car of this age & usage

I am going to try to post some pictures but I do not think I am enabled for that option on this site. So if it doesn't work, I will post the link to my ad on autotrader.com. I also have a Word document listing all the features of the car & any faults I could think of which I will try to attach here or cut/paste into a message.

Thank you for all the advice over the years & thank you for looking,

Charlene

Sorry but the pictures are too big to attach here. 9 pictures can be found on my ad on autotrader .com or I can email them to anyone interested & also answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability.

I hope I am not going to be in trouble for posting this link here, but here is my online ad...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_...STAFSRCHUSDTEXT

caddydescription.doc

When you say compression is low in the #1 cylinder, was it ever determined why (rings, valves?)? Is the low compression causing idle or driving roughness? Thanks, Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

When you say compression is low in the #1 cylinder, was it ever determined why (rings, valves?)? Is the low compression causing idle or driving roughness? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

No I never had it checked any further to determine exactly what the cause. One mechanic did give me a list of about 10 things it could be along with the diagnostic printout: plug, wire, egr valve, piston, rings, gasket, distributor cap, fuel injection, etc. The computer printout showed "RPM drop" results between 40-55 for 7 cylinders & a result of only 4 for cylinder #1.

3 other mechanics also gave me a similar diagnosis for this cylinder, 2 of which were Cadillac dealers (1 in MA & 1 in RI). They all hesitated to give an estimate to repair it saying they would not know until they took apart the engine, but it might be very costly. Of course the 2 dealers said it was not worth fixing.

I have been driving it in this condition for more than 3 years. It has caused a loss of power, lower gas milage, & yes a rougher ride. It is definately noticable if you drive a Caddy, but not so much for people who drive other kinds of cars, since it is still a very powerful car. Occasionally it shakes when I press down on the accelerator, & maybe a few times a year "service engine soon" lights up (Code P046). The light goes off by itself after a while.

Hope this answers your question.

Best to you, Charlene

Hmm, then it might NOT be low compression as you mentioned. Low compression to me is more serious as it means that either the rings or the valves are not providing good sealing.. Did they actually do a compression test? This power balance test is different and as you noted is related to the efficiency of the cylinder.... Your answer was 100% correct that it could be >>plug, wire, egr valve, piston, rings, gasket, distributor cap, fuel injection, etc<< . Was this the extent of the testing or did a compression test detect low compression in that cylinder also? My son goes to Westfield State, in Westfield Mass and I have been looking for a car for him.. The timing is not 100% good, but it might be soon, let me know about the other testing... Thanks, Mike

Dealer's don't want to open up an older car for fear that they open a can of worms, on my 91 they said they could do the #1 main bearing at 70K miles at 95K miles they declined... This problem might just be a bad injector, or ignition wire...

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

This test that I am referring to for which I have the printout is called a "cylinder performance test". The results are called "cylinder efficiency results". This was done by a regular mechanic, not a Caddy dealership & was done on 7/16/2003. I will try to scan the document & attach it here & any other you want to see I should have it.

Another test done by the dealer in RI was on 6/4/2002 & was called a "compression check". I was not given the printout of the test only what the dealer typed up on the receipt & he wrote "found low compression in cylinder #3". I am not sure why there is a difference with the cylinder #1 vs. #3. At this time my car was still under warranty & they replaced a faulty plug & wire & recommended a fuel treatment. I have a hand-written note on the receipt saying "130 vs. 195 compression" so that must be what he told me when I picked up my car & I wrote it down there.

The most recent test for this was done at yet another mechanic on 6/9/2005 for my inspection & all he said was "cyl #1 low compression" as a result of 2 tests that he ran: compression test & ign system test.

So I am not sure what the difference is between all these tests, only of the result when I drive which I mentioned.

Hope I explained this OK & let me know if you want any more info. Thank you, Charlene

OK I could only attach the first page to that last message...here is the second page but I had to cut off a little of the top & bottom to get it to fit as an attachment here but no important info is cut off just the garage name address etc.

post-507-1135995329_thumb.jpg

post-507-1135995757_thumb.jpg

Wait while I pick my mouth up off the desk! I am impressed with how much detail you have on your car! Terrific stuff. The compression low like that is not really to bad either. She is not burning oil. It might be a valve hanging up from carbon or a bad valve seat but it's does not appear serious. I will watch for you on line, Thanks, Mike

I am impressed with how much detail you have on your car!

Yeah no joke I have every scrap of paper relating to my car from the sticker that was on it at the dealer to the last oil change; it's a folder almost 2 inches thick. This was a big investment for me & I take it seriously & I have to say one of the best decisions I ever made was to buy this car...it has served me well & been nothing but a pleasure.

Let me know if you need any more info & Happy New Year to all !!

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressive EBAY add! If you don't sell it with that add, I will be amazed! Good Luck

Very impressive EBAY add! If you don't sell it with that add, I will be amazed! Good Luck

Thank you very much.

No doubt it will sell, but at what price. My highest bid so far is $700....even the Caddys that DON'T START are getting around $1500. I will be VERY disappointed if I can't get more for my car.

LOCATION is an important factor with cars on EBAY because of the shipping costs. My 3 bidders are all within 50 miles or so of me. So that limits your bidders to some extent. That's really the only difference I can think of other than my "marketing".

There was 1 other bidder for $1200 that I had to cancel since I suspect them to be a fraud. This is also disappointing that you have to deal with people like this.

I have a reserve on there this time but if it doesn't sell this auction I can/will relist for free with NO RESERVE & also lower the "buy it now" price on autotrader.com. I think I have this car fairly priced based on sales of similar cars, so hopefully I will not be giving this car away for a steal.

Its a shame you can't take it with you.. I would love to have it, and if things improve before you sell it, I would buy it.. Mike

No doubt it will sell, but at what price. My highest bid so far is $700....even the Caddys that DON'T START are getting around $1500. I will be VERY disappointed if I can't get more for my car.

Don't get discouraged. You have almost a full day left on the auction as of this post. Usually, the whole auction happens in the last hour and frequently in the last few minutes. The price will probably run up quite quickly at the very end.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Thanks guys.

Those psycological ebay games work on me. I am losing sleep over this. It feels like I am losing my best friend. I am going to miss it !!!

Most people probably think I'm crazy to get like this over a car, but I know other Caddy owners can sympathize with me about giving up our Caddys. My family says we are a cult !!!

Hello Folks -

High bid was $1000 for my caddy so it did not sell as I had a reserve on there of $1500. I can't believe it. Even caddys that are dented & don't run have sold for more on there. Plus KBB is between $2850 - $3350 so my car is literally a STEAL.

I lowered the "buy it now" advertised price on autotrader.com to $1995 & I am re-listing on ebay at 8:00pm est tonight item # 4608360529. I have to do it with NO RESERVE since I am leaving for Vegas on Feb 15 & it has to be sold before I go, so someone will definately be getting a STEAL.

This is STRESSFUL....I am in for another gut-wrenching week with little sleep over this. :(

Thanks for listening, Charlene

Thanks guys.

Those psycological ebay games work on me. I am losing sleep over this. It feels like I am losing my best friend. I am going to miss it !!!

Most people probably think I'm crazy to get like this over a car, but I know other Caddy owners can sympathize with me about giving up our Caddys. My family says we are a cult !!!

I know exactly how you feel. We are a cult. In 1990, I gave away a 74 Eldorado Convertible because I wanted to give it to someone that loved it, but could not afford to buy it from me. I drove to his auto repairs garage, signed the registration and walked home. I am odd, I know. He was an excellent honest mechanic and rebuilt the front end and had it repainted...

post-2998-1138481328.jpg

I received this message in ebay for my car. WHAT A SCAM. Plus the guy just registered on ebay today to do this to me.......

M INTERESTED IN BUYING YOUR ITEM,HOW MUCH IS THE FINAL PRICE? AND I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU ACCEPT A MONEY ORDER AS A MODE OF PAYMENT ALSO IF YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEND THE SHIPPERS CHARGES TO THEM IN UNITED KINGDOM VIA WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER.THE REASON BEHIND THIS IS JUST THAT MY CLIENT WHICH IM BUYING THE ITEM FOR HAS ISSUED THE SALES AND SHIPPING FEE TOGETHER IN ONE MONEY ORDER. KINDLY PLEASE GET BACK TO ME WITH YOUR CONTACT NAME AND ADDRESS INCLUDING YOUR CONTACT PHONE NUMBER AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO FORWARD YOU THE PAYMENT TOMMOROW MORNING WHICH YOU WILL RECIEVE IN THREE BUSSINESS DAYS,ONCE YOU RECEIVE IT,DEDUCT YOUR AMOUNT FOR SALES,AND TRANSFER THE SHIPPING FUND TO MY SHIPPER IN THE UNITED KINGDOM AND HE WOULD COME PHYSICALLY TO PICK THE ITEM UP FOR SHIPMENT.

THANKS.

Luckily I had read about this scam on autotrader.com so I reported him to ebay support. I guess what happens is that the money order they send "clears" but it is never actually "paid" & you also get stuck for bank charges plus money you wired.

Only 1 bid so far for $800 & NO RESERVE. I will be SICK TO MY STOMACH if I have to sell this car for $800. 4 more days of THIS FUN :(

Oh by the way NICE ELDO you gave away BBF !!!!

Well I had a few good bidders, then at the last second a bunch of CRIMINAL bidders with zero feedback came in & won my car for $1431. It was too late for me to cancel their bids & I am sure they will not pay. I am really upset...I paid all these fees to ebay & they can't stop these frauds from ruining my auction. Now I have to wait 48 hours for each of the 2 top bidders to NOT PAY & try to scam me somehow I guess, I don't know what they will try to do to me aside from not pay. Does anyone know about this ??

Then I have to try to sell my car to the next lowest bidder a legitimate guy from N.H.

Am I the only one who has these nighmare experiences ?? I am beaten down :(

OK now I think that possibly is it just kids doing this for kicks, or the other idea is that it is just to get your personal information. So if no one tries to get me to send them money, one of these could be the angle.

Seems like a lot of effort to go thru & I don't know what the benefit. All I know is I spent a lot of time, money, & effort on this listing for it to be runied by 2 non-paying bidders at the last second & I have to go thru the ebay process to claim unpaid items twice to get to a legitimate buyer if I follow thier rules.

It's just unbelievable. Looks like my caddy will sell for around $1200....so much for kelley blue book values.

:(

OK now I think that possibly is it just kids doing this for kicks, or the other idea is that it is just to get your personal information. So if no one tries to get me to send them money, one of these could be the angle.

Seems like a lot of effort to go thru & I don't know what the benefit. All I know is I spent a lot of time, money, & effort on this listing for it to be runied by 2 non-paying bidders at the last second & I have to go thru the ebay process to claim unpaid items twice to get to a legitimate buyer if I follow thier rules.

It's just unbelievable. Looks like my caddy will sell for around $1200....so much for kelley blue book values.

:(

It is possible that they are valid buyers who happen to have registered in order to bid.

Not likely, I agree, but possible.

Ebay in general seems to represent the wholesale value of most vehicles, not the

private sale blue book value. One would suppose if you had a good market locally

you would not put it up for sale on Ebay. That said, I have seldom been able

to get blue book for cars I sold to individuals either. My Mom on the other hand,

seemed regularly able to sell used cars for close to or at their value.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Charlene,

Sit tight and see if the winning bidder follows through. He or she may be legit. I know I registered on Ebay for the purpose of buying a car. I spent several months watching the action and trying to score a car for a good price.

I found that "sniping" (coming in during the last few seconds) is the best strategy. Bidding earlier in the auction, unless you come in with a high bid, just stirs up the water and runs up the price. As I said in my earlier post, the whole auction happens in the last few minutes.

I finally won my Eldorado at a price much lower than wholesale Blue Book. I still had zero feedback with Ebay but I did follow through and buy the car. When it was delivered to me, I discovered that the seller, a dealer, had glossed over some of the car's faults.

The worst problem was that the air bag system had been canibalized and the driver information center kept flashing "SERVICE AIR BAG SYSTEM". Estimates to repair the air bag system came in at over $2000 including a new passenger side air bag, some new sensors, a new upper dash panel (the air bag door had been broken and glued in place), and a new instrument panel cluster (the air bag warning light had been destroyed and kept setting an error code).

Weeks of letter writing and phone calls got me nowhere with the dealer. I finally put all my documentation together and filed a complaint with the Attorney General for the State of Texas. Several weeks later, I got a call from the dealer who said he would arrange to have the air bag system restored at his expense by a body shop near my home.

It is, in fact, a jungle out there on Ebay for both buyers and sellers of used automobiles.

I've been following this thread for some time. Please be sure to post a follow up and let us know how this all works out. Also, I would be very interested to know what it costs to auction a car on Ebay.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Poobah -

It cost $40 to list the car, then another $40 when/if it sells, plus if you want to make your add fancy they charge extra.

Some of these extras are worth it...for instance I paid an extra $30 on my second listing for a "featured" listing which puts your listing at the top of the page with bold, highlight & border.

This increased my hits per day from 80 - 100 in the first listing to 250 - 300 in the second...and I had a max of 16 "watchers" in the first listing & this got boosted to 50 in the second. So for $30 I got about 3 times as much traffic/exposure...I would recommend it.

I sent the "winner" 3 emails, plus called & left message in California with no reply, so I basically have written this off as a deadbeat bidder. You would think they would reply immediately since this is a car we're talking about, not some $10 T-shirt. #2 winner is the same...ebay deadbeat from Georgia.

Now I have to wait 7 days for EACH deadbeat to file unpaid item report, meanwhile can not sell my car via ebay till this is resolved. Problem is I am leaving for Vegas on Feb 15 so I have to sell my car before then outside of ebay.

Ebay will refund me $40 if this auction does not close. They need improve rules for restricting bidders on ebay motors & I have emailed them suggestions.

This has not been a good experience....wish me luck I NEED IT

blubird,

The ebay is a great place to sell and buy, but ebay-motors seems to be very different. Even a test drive does not guaranty you will buy a car without problems, how about buying a car without even seeing it?

Good luck!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

blubird,

The ebay is a great place to sell and buy, but ebay-motors seems to be very different. Even a test drive does not guaranty you will buy a car without problems, how about buying a car without even seeing it?

Good luck!

Yeah good points & I am finding that out the hard way. 2 unsuccessful auctions & now these "second chance offers" that ebay came up with in order to be able to get their $40 back from the seller with a non-paying winner, these don't work either. I sent them out to 3 of the legitimate buyers so far & no responses, probably they changed their mind who knows. And we are talking at rock-bottom prices of $1200 for this beautiful car.

When I looked thru the completed listings of cars on ebay, I got the impression that they were selling a good amount at decent prices, but I guess a lot of these sells did not go thru just like mine. Maybe the dealers are the only ones able to sell cars with luck on here I don't know.

So now this winning bidder did not make the $250 deposit within the 48 hours as stated in the listing & is requesting my contact information now. Next they will be asking me to wire them money. It's just unbelievable that ebay can not stop this.

I am going to have to try to sell it to a used car dealer here as I am running out of time before I leave for Vegas on Feb 15.

Archived