CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Compressor noise

epricedright

smile.gif Well I finally got her done. smile.gif My mom was in the hospital for a few days with heart problems hence the delay. It was actually a piece of cake doing the job thanks to all the great advice I received here from the board...again, Thank You for all your help! You guys here are the best! That clutch plate removal tool was great Mike...Thank You! I'll get that back to you this week. The only snag I had was removing the pulley. I only had 3-jaw pullers and there was not enough room to use those, so I had to run to Sears and buy a 6 inch 2-jaw puller. The bearings were bad in the pulley, but they were still intact and not loose.

The only problem I have now is a small chirping noise it makes when it engages. The clutch plate was quite worn with some grooving, so I imagine that is why. I'm hoping after a few miles it will seat itself with the new pulley, and the noise will subside. Do you guys think that will work, or am I better off replacing the clutch? Actully the chirp it makes is not that bad and tolerable. But will the worn clutch screw up the new pulley you think? I tried different air gaps to see if that would help, but to no avail. I finally adjusted the air gap to around .025 which seemed the best. Unfortunately, I ordered the pulley/bearing beforehand, so I didn't have a new clutch. The price for the new clutch was $60.00, so I was hoping the old one would be ok.

I aslo replaced the idler pulley, so that slight noise is now gone. I bled my power steering, and low and behold, that awful-terrible noise is now gone as well. smile.gif So the Caddy is quietly back on the road, and I'm loving it!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just looking at a picture of a compressor clutch at Rockauto.com and it's description says "clutch rubber torque cushion". My clutch plate looked like all metal (sort of a soft metal maybe). Could my clutch be worn that bad where the rubber is gone. I haven't seen a new one of these, so I'm not sure what it's suppose to look like. If there is supposed to be rubber there, and if mine has none, then I imagine I need to replace my clutch as well...you think? And is this why I'm getting the chirp noise...metal to metal?

Did you take the clutch plate off your new compressor to see the metal clutch surface? I'm wondering what to do about my clutch plate; replace it or just leave it be. If it should be replaced, I'd just assume do it now being everything is fresh on my mind and I still have your clutch plate R/R tool.

Did you take the clutch plate off your new compressor to see the metal clutch surface?  I'm wondering what to do about my clutch plate; replace it or just leave it be.  If it should be replaced, I'd just assume do it now being everything is fresh on my mind and I still have your clutch plate R/R tool.

No I didn't I just was turning the compressor like that while I was filling it with oil... I would wait for Kevin to see what he has to say here. Personally I would replace it. Hold on to my tool until you are happy with the job..

Did you take the clutch plate off your new compressor to see the metal clutch surface?  I'm wondering what to do about my clutch plate; replace it or just leave it be.  If it should be replaced, I'd just assume do it now being everything is fresh on my mind and I still have your clutch plate R/R tool.

No I didn't I just was turning the compressor like that while I was filling it with oil... I would wait for Kevin to see what he has to say here. Personally I would replace it. Hold on to my tool until you are happy with the job..

Ok, I'll wait and see what Kevin has to say. Thanks Mike!

I don't recall any rubber cushion on the clutch plate. You might want to check with your local dealer parts department and ask them if there is a rubber cushion.

If the new part does not have a rubber cushion, then I'd be tempted to leave the existing plate and see if the engagement noise fades over time as long as the air gap is set to the proper spec.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Kevin, I said rubber cushion, I meant torque cushion, they come with and without a torque cushion, mike

#2 in the pic looks like my old clutch plate, which also looks similiar to the one rockauto.com has pictured at their website, that describes it as a clutch rubber torgue cushion. The one pictured at rockauto looks thicker than mine though, especilly where the holes are that I presume may be rivets. If those are indeed rivets, then my clutch is worn down to those rivets. I had some grooving in my old pulley that may have been caused by those rivets or by the clutch surface.

If your clutch plate is like no. 2 and it is missing the cushion, that would explain the grooves in the plate. I'd replace the plate and the noise will probably be history.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If your clutch plate is like no. 2 and it is missing the cushion, that would explain the grooves in the plate.  I'd replace the plate and the noise will probably be history.

Thanks Kevin! My gut told me to replace that as soon as I saw it, but I didn't have one on hand and it was Sunday night. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Thanks for the pic Mike! 

I'm sure I can use that installer to get the job done...maybe using some big washers for spacers to push the pulley on.

Thanks again!

That won't be necessary as you back out the bolt you will pull the pulling into place... I will ship it tomorrow, how soon do you plan to use it? Mike

Mike, I forgot to mention, for the record, your clutch plate R/R tool does not help install the pulley (pulley rotor, or AC hub bearing assembly) by itself. The inside diameter of the pulley is too large for the tool to catch it. What I did was use an old door strike plate that was wide enough to catch the pulley (as a washer) between your R/R tool and the pulley to press the pulley on. Now it does a great job by itself with the R/R of the clutch plate.

Interesting. I have seen about three different clutch plate designs, you would think they would keep the basics the same, but you solved the problem easily. Maybe a properly sized washer?

Interesting.  I have seen about three different clutch plate designs, you would think they would keep the basics the same, but you solved the problem easily.  Maybe a properly sized washer?

No, your tool works great for the clutch plate removal and install (the outer plate). It's the pulley (where your serpentine belt rides) that the tool isn't designed to install. But yes, with a big proplerly sized washer (or steel stock similiar to what I used - I actually used a door strike plate that was handy, and 2 washers), it then works. The door strike plate was the first thing I found in my junk drawer. biggrin.gif

• 2 months later...

BAD NEWS! I finally found the time and weather to replace my clutch plate with the new one and while doing so, the compressor shaft snapped. I was using the clutch plate installer tool and while installing the clutch plate, the threaded shaft on the end of the compressor that the installer tool threads on just snapped off clean to the last thread. There are no threads to screw the tool on now, and the clutch plate is around 3/16" from the hub....supposed to have a gap of .020-.030. I'm sickened by this. Looks like I'll need to replace my compressor now as I can't get the plate on far enough. For some reason it was going on hard, harder than the old one did. The shaft key was lined up, so that wasn't it. Maybe there was a burr in there, I don't know. I can't believe how easy it broke though, as I wasn't applying that much torque. I was able to extract the broken shaft out of the tool with a screw extractor, but there are no threads left on the compressor shaft. I even tried lightly tapping the clutch plate on with a 2x4 over the plate using a hammer, but it won't go on any further. I know I wasn't suppose to do that, fear of breaking a seal, but I figured I had nothing to lose at that point as the compressor was trash now anyhow.

I looked at rockauto.com and they don't sell a new compressor that comes without the new hub and plate. So now I'm out $200.00 I paid for the new hub and clutch plate, and will be out $426 for a new Delco compressor w/ it's own new hub and plate, plus labor. Maybe I can find someone to sell me a new compressor w/o the hub and plate for a discount. Maybe I'll go the reman route, who knows. If not, if anyone needs a new hub and plate, let me know.

Mike, I just looked at your tool getting it ready to ship back to you, and the threads appear a little buggared on the end where it screws on the shaft, so I want to either buy you a new one or I can send you whatever it costs in case you think you won't need it in the future and would rather just have the cash...let me know. Thanks again for loaning that to me and for your patience.

Btw, there is no rubber on the face of the clutch plate. The clutch plate is actually two metal plates that are held together with rubber, that allows the inner plate to move in and out, hence the name rubber torque cushion. I should have just left well enough alone being the new one looked like the older one, except for some grooving on the inner plate. I realized that when I received it, but I thought what the heck, maybe the new one will eliminate the light engagement squeal I had. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to try to make things perfect and right, just leave well enough alone! I am so sick by all of this I could just SCREAM!

Hold on to the hub and plate, someone here will need it at some point, you will sell it someday...

Just send the tool back don't worry about it, that is what tools are for. I wonder why it was so hard going on? Oh well...

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Hold on to the hub and plate, someone here will need it at some point, you will sell it someday...

Just send the tool back don't worry about it, that is what tools are for. I wonder why it was so hard going on? Oh well...

Thanks Mike, but it's not like it was when you sent it to me, so there's no way I can do that. That's just how I am. Besides, I could use it to take the new one off...one day. I can either send you a new one or cash, which ever you would prefer.

Why it was hard going on, I have no idea? There had to be either a burr in there or for some reason it was not as smooth inside there as it needed to be. Maybe I should have greased it? I used the new shaft key that came with the new plate and maybe that had a burr on it that dug into the shaft, or it was too big, who knows...the key lined up ok though. It was going on fairly hard, but not hard enough to break the shaft...so I thought. Hey Kevin, have you ever heard of a shaft breaking before?

epricedright,

Check this site out, your part is $375:

http://www.autopartsgiant.com/CAT_FRAMEX.cfm

Thanks Adallak! That's a better price no doubt. I wonder if that includes the hub and clutch plate, I imagine it does. What a waste to not be able to use my new hub and plate. What do you guys think about getting a reman Delco compressor. Sounds kind of risky to me, although I bought one off eBay for my minivan and it works great.

epricedright,

Check this site out, your part is $375:

http://www.autopartsgiant.com/CAT_FRAMEX.cfm

Thanks Adallak! That's a better price no doubt. I wonder if that includes the hub and clutch plate, I imagine it does. What a waste to not be able to use my new hub and plate. What do you guys think about getting a reman Delco compressor. Sounds kind of risky to me, although I bought one off eBay for my minivan and it works great.

I believe they offer free shipping. Replacing AC compressor is not fun as you learned. I would not mess up with a remanufactured part even from AC Delco. A few months ago I put a reman. AC Delco starter and it started acting upin a month or so...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I think I figured out why it went on hard. I didn't use the big silver washer that came with the tool. It was screwed together w/ the uninstaller tool, so I didn't think to use it. It had been 2 months since I used it last, so I forgot that was to be used with the installer tool, and not the unintaller tool....what a bonehead costly mistake. What was happening was the installer tool was grabbing the clutch plate as I was tightening, spinning out the other part of the tool, causing it to bind, somehow snapping the shaft. That big silver washer is like 2 washers in one that spin in each other. It doesn't pay to work in a hurry...and that was my BIG mistake...darn!!!

Glad you determined the cause of the shaft breakage. I haven't heard of that failure until now. On the positive note, you will still be money ahead vs. letting the dealer do the work for you...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Great post guys,

Mike's posting of Mac's A/C rework reminded me of my A/C problem, which I have put on the back burner for the winter. I have this irritating chirping sound when the A/C compressor engages, also when I acelerate with the A/C on I get a loud vibration sound (sounds like a heatshield vibrating). Is the chirping and vibration issue caused by a weak clutch?

Chuck

Archived