CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

GM Oil Life Monitor real world example

JasonA

What I'm excited about is now even admited oil FANATICS, like those members on BITOG, are starting to accept that Jiffy Lube's advice is a thing of the past and the GMOLM really works.

YES and amen!

Every once in a while it's reassuring to see light triumph over darkness.

We've aways to go however; waiting in line yesterday I listened to two old gasbags discussing the recent storms. They agreed that the "earth is moving closer to the sun." blink.gif

Regards,

Warren biggrin.gif

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Recent threads about GM's OLM and Honda's new OLM (and near 10k mile oil change intervals) are really turning skeptics into believers.

Watch how the car rags will fawn all over Honda's OLM like THEY invented it....they'll overlook the fact that GM developed the OLM and has had it in vehicles for 15 years...

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Watch how the car rags will fawn all over Honda's OLM like THEY invented it....they'll overlook the fact that GM developed the OLM and has had it in vehicles for 15 years...

I hadn't thought of that. But, of course, I'm certain you'll be proved correct.

I'll look forward to someone posting the first such article here. biggrin.gif

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

We should draft a memo to the editor pointing out their bias when they do!

The one I laughed about today was a commercial about articulated head lights (maybe mitsubishi). Didn't Tucker have those and also the new Cadillacs?

QUOTE (jadcock @ Oct 8 2005, 02:13 PM)

Recent threads about GM's OLM and Honda's new OLM (and near 10k mile oil change intervals) are really turning skeptics into believers. 

I did post a reply to one of the BITOG posts asking if anyone knew how the Honda OLM worked. The post also had some info on the GMOLM and how it worked. The "answer" I got back seemed to indicate that the Honda OLM was the greatest thing since sliced bread, even though NOBODY had a clue as to how it worked. Someone did admit that they hired some EX GM engineers over there at Honda. So if any of us are still looking for bbob, we might try the Honda website. I, and another poster pointed out that GM's algorithm had to be patented at least, so they SORTA agreed that they can't be the same. The responses gave me additional incentive to spend the $30.00 on the oil analysis. The post is buried in there somewhere, maybe about page 8 - 10 about now.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Nevermind. The post was entitled "Honda has an OLM?" In doing the search, and finding the topic, I was informed that the post "does not exist" whatever that means. September post, but already deleted. I wonder why?

Someone did admit that they hired some EX GM engineers over there at Honda. So if any of us are still looking for bbob, we might try the Honda website. I, and another poster pointed out that GM's algorithm had to be patented at least, so they SORTA agreed that they can't be the same....

You can be sure the OLM algorithm that GM developed is patented in the name of the engineer that headed up the development process team AND GM (standard corporate - employee legal boiler plate).

Until that patent expires, other similar systems must differ in some significant way so as to not be a direct copy of the system that GM, and / or GM employees, produced.

The good news is the word is spreading about the absurdity of the "one size fits all" 3,000 mile oil change philosophy.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

• 3 weeks later...

Quite some time ago, I stopped the silly 3mo/3000mi oil changes and started paying attention to the OLM in my 93 Deville. That was the best thing I did because it:

- Saved money in fewer quarts of oil and filters purchased and in labor

- Saved time in either doing it myself or running to the Quick Lube places

Ran my 93 Deville to 298,000 miles. Engine still going strong - tranny died.

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

So now GM has an OLM on the tranny! Anybody want to take bets on how effective IT is? Does anyone know of ANY manufacturer that has a similar monitor? Does anyone know how it works? bbob?

The trans monitor is nothing like the OLM. No combustion byproducts in trans fluid so it will last almost the life of the car. It basically looks at tempurature. Overheat the trans and fluid life falls off fast. Otherwise it will stay at 100%.

Quite some time ago, I stopped the silly 3mo/3000mi oil changes and started paying attention to the OLM in my 93 Deville. That was the best thing I did because it:

- Saved money in fewer quarts of oil and filters purchased and in labor

- Saved time in either doing it myself or running to the Quick Lube places

Ran my 93 Deville to 298,000 miles. Engine still going strong - tranny died.

How many miles did the tranny last and what happened to it? Thanks.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Both the tranny and the engine are original.

The tranny had a mini-overhaul under warranty, though.

Engine was never opened up. Still runs like a top.

I lost VCC lockup maybe 50,000 miles ago. Never thought to fix it as I thought it was going to be expensive.

One night, coming home on the Interstate, the engine suddenly required a tonne of RPMs to keep the car moving. Drove it another 2 miles to home and parked it in the garage. As soon as I shut it off, the radiator overflow tank spewed out this foul smelling substance all over the garage floor - oily and dark brown. It kept doing this for some time (1 minute?). I immediately checked the engine oil. It was still honey golden in color and at the proper level. Checked both the tranny fluids and radiator fluid color - same color and smell.

Apparently, the tranny cooler tubes broke inside the radiator. Probably a small leak over thousands of miles. Then, it must have snapped or something. In the end, the color and smell of the fluids in both tranny and radiator are the same color - dark brown. I understand that when the two mix, you normally wind up with a milky-colored substance. This was dark brown. I take that to mean that the clutches inside the tranny are toast.

RIP

Cheers,

T

2003 Seville STS 43k miles with the Bose Sound, Navigation System, HID Headlamps, and MagneRide

1993 DeVille. Looks great inside and out! 298k miles!

IPB Image

I just returned home from a 2,000+ mile trip that started with the OLM at 8% life remaining. Did not have time to change the oil myself and was not about to let anyone else do it.

Based on comments from our MIA GURU about one of the tests GM conducted to verify / validate the OLM, I did not hesitate to go well beyond the 0% countdown. In fact, when the OLM hit 0%, I reset it to 100% while rolling along I-71 at considerable speed.

Tomorrow the oil will be changed at 11,200 miles and 90% life remaining on the second countdown.

Got to love this computer on 17" wheels.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived