CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

vibration

davedog

Ever since I bought my car it has had a vibration when I get up to 60mph +. When I first purchased it wasn't that noticable, so in never really bothered me...but it's gotten alot worse in the past month. I know it's not the wheels themselves, because I've gotten brand new ones, and had them balanced, BUT I transferres the tires (which still have most of the tread) to my new wheels. These are the tires that were on my car when I bought it, and since it 1992 model with only 48k, there is no telling how long they have been on there. A friend drove my car yesterday, and said he thinks it's the tires. I'd hate to go out and drop $500+ in new tires and have it do the same thing though....what do you think? Is it the tires?

THANKS!

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Dave:

How about a friend with a video camera in another car? Take a few minutes of closeup video of each wheel from various angles at highway speeds. You might be able to spot something from the comfort of your living room that provides some information.

I've been there with vibration on mine and vowed I would photograph dynamic wheel activity if I even encountered the problem again.

BTW, the Service Manual for a '98 Seville devotes 33 pages to "Vibration Diagnosis and Correction" (which includes a decent description of resonant frequency and harmonics).

At the end of my saga, I found two bent wheels and the clue I had overlooked for a long long time was wheel weights larger than 1 oz.

Good luck.....

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

i had new set of tires, and they were fine. but as soon as have rotated them they started vibrate. misteriously they got off ballance each time i made rotation. finally i desided to not rotate them at all. let front tires get done first, i'll put new ones and when rear get bad will just replace them. no more rotations!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Dave:

How about a friend with a video camera in another car? Take a few minutes of closeup video of each wheel from various angles at highway speeds. You might be able to spot something from the comfort of your living room that provides some information.

I've been there with vibration on mine and vowed I would photograph dynamic wheel activity if I even encountered the problem again.

BTW, the Service Manual for a '98 Seville devotes 33 pages to "Vibration Diagnosis and Correction" (which includes a decent description of resonant frequency and harmonics).

At the end of my saga, I found two bent wheels and the clue I had overlooked for a long long time was wheel weights larger than 1 oz.

Good luck.....

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

with my luck I'd get pulled over or something.....

can't be the wheels....brand new OEM cadillac wheels, besides, my old ones did it too.

anyone know a test for the tire theory?

....besides hanging out of a car with a camcorder :lol:

It's possible it could be your tires. When I purchase new tires I don't get them balanced when I install the tires I put about 50 or more miles then bring it back and have them balanced the tire is not fully seated to the rim in my opinion until you drive it for awhile

If I purchase tires and get the liftime balance then I have them balanced at time of purchase and bring it back in a couple weeks to rebalance and every time they are out of balance,I just mention I have vibrations they check it and sure enough they are..and then they rebalance them..

Just my experiences with tires.

Jim

I once purchased new tires at SAM's Club. To make a long and expensive story short, SAMS tire balancing spinde was bent. Every tire they balanced actually was unbalanced. I was told over and over that the problem was my car and not the tires.

I'm just wondering if you have used the same dealership, tire store, garage to balance your tires. Maybe the spindle is bent on their machine. How about telling them to balance your tires to less than .5 ounces of remaining residual unbalance or have the tires balanced at a different garage?

Could it be subtle tread-seperation that tends to modify itself even after a balance?

With an aged tire from an original '92 (not just miles) perhaps the radial or bias plies are simply "tired" (pun intended) and shift at vehicle-weight loads and heat.

This might be a the sort of dynamics problem that may not show up on a static or even low-load/speed spin balance.

How to verify? Good luck with studying the tread pattern for deformaties.

Had this problem with an old set of Firestone 500's. Diagnosis complete and issue resolved dramaticly when the tread jetisoned and wound around the axle at speed.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Had this problem with an old set of Firestone 500's. Diagnosis complete and issue resolved dramaticly when the tread jetisoned and wound around the axle at speed.

english please...lol

soulds easier just to buy new tires :lol:

...let front tires get done first, i'll put new ones and when rear get bad will just replace them. no more rotations!

Adallak,

<_< Wouldn't you automatically mount the new tires on the rear of a front wheel drive car? I'm just asking because Sam's employees look at me like I'm nuts... I don't want to loose it from the rear tires breaking traction before the fronts are plowing hard. thanks... :unsure:

I think it could be 2 things.

1. Tires. Look at each tires for "bumps" or other unusual damage. Make sure they are balanced.

2. Loose wheel bearing. Jack up the car and see if there is any play in the wheels when you move them back and forth.

Those are beautiful wheels! Is your vibration in the steering wheel or in the seat or body of the car? If you can pinpoint that then rotate front to rear and see if it changes. Also as said earlier check for loose wheel bearings. If you are putting excess weight on one or more wheels when balancing have the tire rotated on the rim and recheck the balance. You don't say how old the tires are or when you bought the car but it very well could be as said before a "tired" tire. Really hard to diagnose without driving it and if new tires don't cure it, well, been there and you really need to keep one of them old tires to KICK around! LOL

Same problem with my 91 Seville. After balancing at 2 different dealers, finally got all new Bridgestones. No change. Last mechanic told me he has seen people spend incredible amounts of money to chase this problem down. Advised me to live with it. Not my favorite choice. Still have the vibration after 25,000 miles.

Sometime back, saw posted here a reference that stated the brake disks can often be out of balance. Haven't checked that yet on my car.

Somewhat unrealted, but sparked from the last post, on my mercedes it had a wierd vibration that started at about 62 mph and disappeared around 85+, balance, alignment, new tires, new shocks, no change...it was driving me nuts....then I had the brakes done, turns out it was a problems with a rear caliper (and for those interested, strangly the vibration was just as evident in the steering as it was in the body of the car)

I cant explain why or how, but after this, when chasing down these kind of problems I have resorted to finding a shop that can/will check for tread seperation and tires being out of round (not a balancing issue, but at one point I had a tire that was not round; it was more egg shaped but you could not tell until at 50mph it got real annoying), then I look at the brakes

just a thought, hope it helps

Archived