CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Curious about the battery cable (s).....

Do you have the style where the two positive cables are stacked? 

Did you remember the lead spacer needed between the two? 

Or do you have the (2) cables molded into one joint style? 

batteryspacer.JPG

I don't think that matters. But it is a clue..

Original GM cables are either stacked.....or molded together. 

The other picture shows the stacked version.....if the lead battery terminal spacer is left out....you can get odd electrical problems. It happens.  

This picture shows the positive cables molded together version. 

batterycable.JPG

I’ll switch them out and go back to the side post. Everything I’ve looked at has side post ( wouldn’t think it mattered, jmo ??? ) but it will cross that off the list ???? Will post results. 

When you turn the key on is there any lights or messages that stay on the cluster other than BRAKE TO SHIFT?

Does radio still display even though it does not work?

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Ok...got it. How did you deal with the harness? Did you leave it dressed on the engine......or did you disconnect everything from the engine?

Changed battery and cables back to side post with new cables. Installed positive cable that has 3 cables molded together. Reset all codes via onboard diagnostic system, done the 3 - 10 min reset sequence for anti- theft system, security light flashing when key is off, shuts off when key is on. Checked ground connection via volt meter. Good voltage on positive, battery, battery connection at fuse box ( 12.3 - 12.5 ) All windows, trunk release, fuel door, headlights, door locks, power mirrors all working. Cluster showing brake to start, service airbag. Still no radio. Gonna pull radio see if there’s a fuse behind it in dash ??? Still no crank from key.

No fuse behind radio.

I am pretty sure radio fuse is in trunk. Security light sounds normal. Flashing when off just means it has the anti-theft(alarm). Light would go solid if you hit a lock button.

I wonder why it says Service Airbag. Did it say this when it was running? I am wondering if this, the radio, and the no start are all related. I need to see the datalink and circuit diagram. Just been so darn busy I haven't had the time to look at it. I feel bad you have not figured it out, but surely are on the right track.

You may have answered this but does the radio display anything? or is it completely blank

GM FAN FOREVER

It has been saying service air bag for awhile, even before the stud replacement. Was going to check into it but then head gasket blew so that got on back burner. There is no power to radio, nothing. It is an aftermarket stereo, but was professionally installed and no issues before shutdown for oil pressure after start up. Actually was listening to it when putting last of engine components together. Makes no sense to me why have nothing now ??? Know what u mean by no time, that’s why took me so long to change cables, other obligations came first. Got plenty other vehicles to drive, so just basically this car is a project. Been down too long tho. Really appreciate all the help !!!

Aftermarket... That changes things for diagnosing that issue. That is a big word when it comes to these. There should be a fuse in the back of that one. No idea how they made it work though. I never put one in any of mine because of the headaches involved.

GM FAN FOREVER

Of course. That's fine, just different diagnostics as they work entirely different from the original. Original is powered by datalink. Aftermarket is powered by battery and ignition. 

Not sure how the radio is wired in, if it actually uses the datalink or not. If it did and there was a datalink issue it would be related. If it does not then it is likely not related unless the power source is related. 

Ok so lets go back to the diagrams that Logan shared. Thank You Logan. I was just going to post the same diagrams.

Have you verified proper voltage and ground on both the theft deterrent relay and the start enable relay? 

If this was Passlock related you would be missing input from the instrument cluster Yellow/black at the Theft Deterrent relay Pin D. Should be negative (ground iirc). This is just the cranking portion, not related to the fuel and spark portion.

Being you have 12v at pin F that tells me it is seeing Park/ Neutral.

If you jumped pin B to pin E then that shows you have power from the maxifuse 1, and good trigger wire to the starter.

Lets start here. See if you are missing any of the signals I posted. Can go farther once we know a little more 

GM FAN FOREVER

Attached is a little reading regarding the Passlock system. I hope you can read it. I got it off my other computer.

Typically there is a message sent from the PCM back to the IPC(cluster) if the Passlock trips during key cycle. Fuel and spark enable come from the PCM. Enable signal is sent from the IPC to the PCM, PCM then outputs, either fuel and spark, or a error message back to the IPC. I hope this helps

0827232134.jpg

0827232137.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Can't help much with the radio. But I assume it worked before the no start happened? If you can post a picture of what the radio plugs into in the dash. Not sure if it utilized the original blue plug or if they ran new wires. 

We know pin B at the relay is 12v. 

E is irrelevant at the moment as we know when you jump B to E it cranks.

Need to go back and look at pin D. Yellow/Black. Check for negative when key is on

GM FAN FOREVER

On 8/28/2023 at 9:27 PM, rockfangd said:

Need to go back and look at pin D. Yellow/Black. Check for negative when key is on

GM FAN FOREVER