CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

V-Series Family | V-Series Blackwing | Cadillac

Looking at the Cadillac.com first page on the "build and price" pages for the CT4 and CT5 Blackwing, the CT4 uses a twin-turbo  3.6 liter V6 rated at 472 hp, and the CT5 uses a hand-built supercharged 6.2 liter V8 rated at 668 hp, apparently adapted from the Corvette supercharged engine.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Yes, updates of the previous engines more or less -- the LF4 update perhaps less than the LT4.  It is a shame after all the development the new Blackwing engine didn't get used except in the CT6.  This is why car companies are sometimes described as great capital destruction organizations

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

This ad sends conflicting messages about what Cadillac is and what they profess for the future.  Don't get me wrong, I all for the "Blackwings", but with an all electric future, anyone who is paying attention can see that the message(s) are ambiguous.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

The all-electric future is a lot farther away than most realize.  You can't jump in any all-electric vehicle and take a two-day road trip.

Somebody decided to cancel the 4.4 l DOHC Blackwing V8 before developing it to produce 700 hp and remain warrantable to 100,000 miles.  The 6.2 LT is about the same weight and its size is manageable.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

There is some thought that this gas engine is the 'last hurrah' for a full-on V8, but we'll see.  I like the idea of battery electric Cadillacs but yes they need a better solution from cross-country trips

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

There is room for both engine types in autos.  As an engineer, I see turbines as the best technology for long-haul 18-wheelers and even trains, but turbines have obvious carbon-capture problems.  Trains have used diesels with electric motors powering the drive wheels since 1924, and turbines driving the generators are the obvious modern design.  For short trips, stop-and-go, plug-in electric is the obvious choice, with some competition from PZEV turbo four-cylinder engines which have decades of development behind them.  For the near term, I see plug-ins and hybrids as becoming dominant in consumer vehicles that are used in town 99% of the time, combustion engines for commercial trucks that run all day, and diesels and diesel-electric hybrids for long haul trucks.  I don't mention turbines because turbines have never found a niche in the automotive world.  Sports cars are a separate consideration, and there are many kinds of sports cars, so the drivetrain technology will likely fork, too.  All-electrics have the edge in drag racing, for example, and you will not see an all-electric entry in a 500-mile race anytime soon.