CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT RPM Shift Point

tjtjwdad

I did one of those roling (20 MPH) WOT's today and I noticed the car shifted into second gear @ 6500 RPM. In the past it's been something like 6300 (guessing).

Is this something to be concerned with? I tried it several more times and each time it shifted at 6500 which is further into the red zone than I like.

No issues and no cloud of dust either!

Jim

2001 STS

It might be over running the 6200rpm mark a little because you are flooring it from a roll. The car has to downshift into 1st gear, which then runs out at 40, and then has to upshift back through 2nd amd 3rd gear. I guess it's probably just catching the tranny off guard (if that make sense). It's not a normal action to floor the gas at 20mph, so when you do it, the car has to react quickly, and choose a gear. In it's haste, it's only in 1st gear for maybe a second, which could be why it's revving to 6500rpm. Going that high, should still be fine, since it's veyr close to the normal WOT shift point of 6200rpm.

Hmmm...the 1st to 2nd shift is as 60mph you say? That woudl explain the higher RPM's. I did some testing a few months back from a dead stop, do WOY's to see at what speed and RPM it would shift at. the 1-2 shift was consistantly 40-45mph. I haven't looked to see where it shifts from 1-2 when flooring it at 20mph, but if It's shift later, that might explain the higher RPM's. From a dead stop, my 2-3 shift point was at about 80+mph. What speed is your shifting to 3rd at from a roll?

Actually, what I was trying to say is the "posted speed limit" was 60 MPH. I'm not sure what the speed of the car when the 1-2 shift occurs, too busy watchin' where im going.

The 2-3 shift is beyond 60 MPH (I think around 80 MPH as I recall). I'm not sure what the RPM's are at the 2-3 shift.

Jim

From my experience, WOT's that begin at 20/25 MPH will cause the shift, at least the first upshift, to occur at a higher RPM than from a standing start. Also, selecting 2nd from a standing start will do the same. My stock 97 STS will not break in to the 14 second 1/4 mile range unless I select 2nd from the start. I used to get 15.2-15.4 in drive. Selecting 2nd gives me consistent 14.7-14.8 times doing nothing more than that.

From my experience, WOT's that begin at 20/25 MPH will cause the shift, at least the first upshift, to occur at a higher RPM than from a standing start. Also, selecting 2nd from a standing start will do the same. My stock 97 STS will not break in to the 14 second 1/4 mile range unless I select 2nd from the start. I used to get 15.2-15.4 in drive. Selecting 2nd gives me consistent 14.7-14.8 times doing nothing more than that.

So when I take my car to the track I should put it in 2nd?

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

So when I take my car to the track I should put it in 2nd?

Putting the stick in second raises the fluid pressure in the tranny allowing for a much crisper shift from first to second gear. It will definitely take time off your run. As well, less wear on the clutches etc. than a "plush" shift.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Right...although it shouldn't physically raise the shift point at WOT, it should make the car accelerate better because of firmer shifts. Apparently, STYES's car is the only one where the WOT shift point is raised when the shifter is in 2nd gear. ??

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Right...although it shouldn't physically raise the shift point at WOT, it should make the car accelerate better because of firmer shifts. Apparently, STYES's car is the only one where the WOT shift point is raised when the shifter is in 2nd gear. ??

My ;96 SLS shifts at 5800 in Drive and 6000 in 1or 2, always has. Another thing, my mom drove the car for a while when her's was wrecked. When I got it back it would shift at 5500 in drive and 5800 in 1or 2 aftera few WOT's it went back to normal, must be that Adaptive Learning PCM I've heard about.

Huh. Mine shifts at 6000 rpm, no matter what. Every now and again, it'll wind out to close to 6200 rpm, but it doesn't matter what range the selector is in. Odd.

Yes you will get a better 1/4 mile time selecting 2nd than leaving it in drive, and I am not alone here. I have taken my car to the track, and verified this. The increased line pressure I had not considered, it makes sense though. Don't believe me, just try it. But try it at the track. Drag racing on the street is something I do not condone. But do your WOT's in drive, and start from a lazy roll at 25. Try this just for fun. Do a few WOT's from 60 to 80. Time them, and compare it to the 60-80 that is published by the magazines for the 2005 Mustang GT. Leave the car in drive when you do it. You WILL be surprised!

flooring the car in 2nd gear at about 60mph all the way up to 3rd is fanfreakingtastic! So much pull ! Pretty much from 80 and on to about 135ish its in 3rd but it still moves fairly quick up to that point, only other car taht pulls harder that i have driven is my dad's E500, which has 302hp and 340lb ft tq! seriously that thing hauls *smurf*!

Yes you will get a better 1/4 mile time selecting 2nd than leaving it in drive, and I am not alone here. I have taken my car to the track, and verified this. The increased line pressure I had not considered, it makes sense though. Don't believe me, just try it. But try it at the track.

You can be a responsible driver without going to the track. Simply put the stick in "2nd" and accelerate from a stop to the get-go at half throttle. You'll notice a much "crisper" shift from 1st to 2nd. It's that simple. Honk on it, and you'll notice your tires "bark" as it shifts second gear.

Try it again in "Drive" and listen as your clutches/bands smoke themselves at the same rpm while they do a "plush" "luxury" shift.

It's not a secret.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Yes, even at low speeds, you'll notice a firmer shift when you have the gear range in 2. I keep it in 2 anytime I'm driving 25 mph or less (like through the neighborhood).

Back in the good ole days when we were driving BB Chevys with Turbo 400's, we could leave them in first & nail it, the trans governor would shift into second at about 60 (if I recall correctly) & bark the tires when it did it.

I had an (of all things) a 1977 Suburban with a Turbo Hydro 400 and a 454. It was stock except for a stack on top of the Q-jet & a Corvette open sided air filter. One day I was driving out of a little town her in Southern Illinois. There was a double solid yellow (no passing) area right to the town limits. Then the speed limit went to 55. As I was coming through town (which was and is a speed trap) a 340 Duster got right on my tail. He was hugging the center line, going over and back like he was itching to get past the lead sled (me) in front of him. I dropped the Sub in 1st and told my wife to watch & let me know when he started around us. Right at the town line he started out & my wife yelled "HIT IT". The front bumper of the Duster never got any farther that my side mirror. At about that time the Sub shifted into 2nd & barked the tires. The duster was "DUSTED". The guy had his girl friend with him. I'll bet he felt like torching that Duster if it couldn't take a Suburban! :P The only problem with the Sub was she could pass almost anything but a gas station! :o 10 MPG was considered GOOD! :blink:

I haven't studied the 4T80E to see if it is capable of the same thing. But I do know that my SLS will get a "chirp" when shifting from first to second when left in second on a WOT launch from a stand still. (Have to disable the traction control).

I have gotten pretty impressive results manually shifting from first to second also, much to the displeasure of some 5.0 Mustang jockeys. :lol:

Britt

Britt

Yes, even at low speeds, you'll notice a firmer shift when you have the gear range in 2. I keep it in 2 anytime I'm driving 25 mph or less (like through the neighborhood).

:D So I'm not the only one that likes to do this, eh Jason! :P I just like to listen to that motor, the combo of those 32valves and a nice set of dual Dynomax's... Like music to my ears! B)

Mine will significantly catch a firmer shift at 2nd gear launches. Was glad I learned this before I hit the track last year. It was barking pretty good at the shift there also (6200 on my "Y" series N*) The only run I tried drive for launch was where I was above 15 sec. time. The rest were pretty consistant in the 14.7-14.8 area.

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Archived