CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New member here.  Hello all.

We purchased the vehicle new in California, (a species unto-itself), it has approx 155,000 miles on the clock and generally has been a great car.  About 1996 something on the suspension failed, and rather than sell our firstborn, the dealer set the speed sensitive, computer controlled, suspension system to be fixed at the mid range of the three ranges... that was fine until the last couple of years.  Now we feel every pebble on the road.  Problem is this suspension system was only used in 1992 (from what we read) and there are no longer any oem shocks available nor any take-offs.  We've looked at the aftermarket and are not convinced they'll work properly.

Here's a picture from the 1992 owners manual:

372620373_IMG_6128-1992CadillacSTSSuspension.JPG.590a68d0069c8c045673e14781596ec0.JPG

What do you suggest? 

Thank you, thank you very much.

You will prob. end up with a passive aftermarket strut.  The active OE front struts are long discontinued and $pendy if you find some.

You will also have to add the "kit" to shut off the CCR susp. or SES lights that would follow the active to passive strut replacement. 

Not a difficult job or repair.

Edited by sonjaab

93 DeVille-13 Chevy Impala

72 GTO - 77 Triumph Bonneville

84 Z-28

Syracuse NY

Check Arnott and strutmasters for aftermarket struts.  

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I went with Arnotts in the rear and monroe in the front on my 97 Seville.

Was not the direction I wanted to go having the magnaride suspension.

They were all plug and play. Not sure how different your 92 is from my 97 but probably not by much.

Mine has ride sensors at all 4 corners.

I preach to you to have a look at your compressor. The drier goes bad and moisture gets in there and corrodes the valve open or shut.

You should feel the car raising on a cold start and I would put about 100lbs in the trunk, wait for about a minute(car running)

Compressor should kick on and compensate.

Then remove the weight from the trunk and verify the exhaust valve opens and releases the air.

I replaced it on every Cadillac I have owned and have been very happy. 

Welcome To CaddyInfo forum. Glad we can help

So before you even touch the struts I would look into that.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile