CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing Front 5 1/4 Speakers

Scotty

What do you guys think of these Cerwin Vega 5 1/4" component speakers to replace my front speakers that are blown, I don't have the Bose system. I believe that I can mount the new tweeter in the stock location, but, its possible that I might be able to surface mount the new tweeters high on the door, but I am reluctant to mess with the look of the interior.

What do you think about these speakers. I am not into spending $150....just getting decent sound back in the front.. Mike

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2007.html

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could try getting a new component system that is originally $150 from ebay for cheap. Just make sure it says the product is new and not refurbished since my friends and I have had problems with refurbished stereo equipment from ebay. You still should be able to find high quality speakers there.

You could try getting a new component system that is originally $150 from ebay for cheap. Just make sure it says the product is new and not refurbished since my friends and I have had problems with refurbished stereo equipment from ebay. You still should be able to find high quality speakers there.

Do you not think that the speakers I have chosen would be adequate? Mike

Well I bought the speakers, I will report back how they sound. Now that I have a dremel I may surface mount them high on the door so that highs are more on ear level, unless the new tweeter can be directed from the stock location.

Tomorrow I am getting my windows tinted using Llumar tints, I am going 35 all around, can't wait to see it, Mike

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html

Nice choice scotty! If I tint out my windows thats what I was going to use to was 35 all the way around! As for the speakers I have never heard of that brand before but I have aftermarket speakers in my car and they sound great! Good luck hope they sound great!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Nice choice scotty! If I tint out my windows thats what I was going to use to was 35 all the way around! As for the speakers I have never heard of that brand before but I have aftermarket speakers in my car and they sound great! Good luck hope they sound great!

Hey Thanks... Cerwin Vega has been around since I was in college in the mid-70's. I considered getting a better (more expensive) speaker but I am only utilizing the stock radio. My 19 yo son blew my front speakers a year ago the first time he sat in the car by just cranking it up all the way, I wanted to wring his neck...I just got the car that day :angry: Thanks

LOL! Ya I would not be surprised if I blew the speakers in my car someday haha! I just love pumpin the music when cruison in town! :D

user posted image

Since you only have a stock radio it may be hard to utilize those speakers you are getting since you may have a problem if you have the amplified stock speakers.

I don't believe that my stock speakers are amplified, they are standard speakers, my 91 had the Bose system that created a bunch of problems.

Tomorrow I am getting my windows tinted using Llumar tints, I am going 35 all around, can't wait to see it,

Lets see a pic of that baby! :D

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

That good news. Cerwin Vega are good speakers but I never heard their car speakers. Just their stage monitors and house speakers. I am in the process of trying to wire my friend's mercury villager that has "premium sound" with an aftermarket stereo. I have actually been in process for about two months, since don't get over there much. His wife drives the van anyways.

Tomorrow I am getting my windows tinted using Llumar tints, I am going 35 all around, can't wait to see it,

Lets see a pic of that baby! :D

:lol: Tomorrow after it's done, I will get it washed first so its looking good.

Those speakers look like a good choice! Are you aslo replacing the 6x9 speakers? It all depends on what you are using them for! :D My 6x9's are wired up to a 300w amp and the 5 1/4 are powered by the Panosonic recievers 200w amp! And it sounds really great at high volumes! I cant wait to see pics of the tint........ B)

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Those speakers look like a good choice! Are you aslo replacing the 6x9 speakers? It all depends on what you are using them for! :D My 6x9's are wired up to a 300w amp and the 5 1/4 are powered by the Panosonic recievers 200w amp! And it sounds really great at high volumes! I cant wait to see pics of the tint........ B)

I will replace the 6 x 9's at some point, but right now I only have the rear, so this will be a big change... can't wait...

Last week on my trip to Philadelphia, I plugged an FM modulator into my daughers DVD headphone output and played the DVD thought the FM radio and speakers and it sounded amazing.. can't wait to have front speakers again

I am thinking about getting these Cerwin Vega 3-way 6 x 9's http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_278.html#

They are the same construction and HED series as the 5 1/4" fronts I bought. I can not believe that the 6 x 9's are not installed from the trunk, and that the rear seat, seat back and deck has to come out....at 6'5" 235 I hate squirming around in the back seat (by myself anyway, :) )

Looking at the service manual the OEM speakers look pretty pedestrian (and they sound adequate), the new speakers should be a big step up..

Here is Cerwin Vega description of the HED line (click HED):

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/mobileaudio/index.html

I like this feature :lol:

Direct Factory Replacement

Adapts easily to factory cutouts. High-end component sound without major modification; saves install time.

I like it! Is it a law there that you can't have tint on your windows there? It is here well you can have it on the back but the front windows and the windsheild you are not alloud to have it on! Do I care no haha! I am getting some when I can afford it! :D

user posted image

I like it! Is it a law there that you can't have tint on your windows there? It is here well you can have it on the back but the front windows and the windsheild you are not alloud to have it on! Do I care no haha! I am getting some when I can afford it! :D

Thanks, here are the Canadian and US laws regarding tinting, Mike

http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto-tint-laws.html#

I was just going to suggest those. Hey for $20 more you're getting a whole lot more speaker. Nice choice Scotty!

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Archived