CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PLEASE HELP ME

NINAROSS

Okay everybody this is the deal... I live in Michigan where during the winter months it gets awfully cold outside, due to that fact my car wasnt giving off much heat flow if any at all, it was so cold when driving I stopped driving it all together for maybe a week or two. The next time I tried to venture out my dash gave me a low oil pressure message , knowing that I was soon due for a oil change I got that done the same day. Still the low oil pressure message was on the dash. Sometimes the battery would die after driving and somtimes it would crank right up. Again I quit driving it altogether, so it sat for another week or two maybe more. I tried boosting it and the car would run off the boost but my dash would show a no battery charge message and there would b no way to turn the wheel, so again its been sitting, went outside to fiddle underneath the hood today and discovered that my serpentine belt on my engine was completlely off, I would like any input on how that may have happened and by it not probably being on properly for some time could that have been a factor in any of the problems I've been having. Any input would be gladly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hi NINAROSS,

The serpentine belt off... it explains most if not everything happened to your car - pumps did not work, battery did not get charge etc. i am surprised it moved. you are very lucky if nothing bad happened to the car. have a new belt installed, and ALL your problems will be gone hopefully. let us know if not

Godd luck,

Armen

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Adallak is right. Sounds like that belt explains ALL your problems, no alternator (electrical problems), no power steering pump ( can't turn the wheel), no water pump (lack of heat). When the belt is replaced or reinstalled be sure to have the tensioner checked. It is likely the reason the belt came off unless it (the belt) broke.

Being originally from Michigan....and then some 7-8 years in Grand Rapids. 5 inches most days...

Its a great place to live during the summer months...

Dont miss the snow here at all in Nashville.

okay all , ive got my belt replaced and im starting up on spot and everything but and there is always a but isnt it....i have a coolant leak that seems to b on the passanger side of my car near the to the right of the front of the tires..any suggestions on where it may be coming from?

Being originally from Michigan....and then some 7-8 years in Grand Rapids. 5 inches most days...

Its a great place to live during the summer months...

Dont miss the snow here at all in Nashville.

Logan,

I've been to Knoxville a few times, there's not a prettier city anywhere in the USA. The people are lovely, the city is clean and everything is just nice there. I might drive out there in the summer again. I miss it there. I almost moved out there at one point, I still might in the future.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

radiator tanks are plastic, so they crack getting certai age. check for narrow (1/16") vertical cracks on the upper side of the tank (actually check both sides). if you find one let us know. I fixed mine without replacing the tank. It took 15 minutes and a couple of $$.

no , not a dealer just a mechanic in a shop nearby my house...went on his advice and replaced the water pump and it isnt leaking on that side anymore, its leaking on the driver side now, but i dont think it does all the time... i know when i put coolant in i always start the car so there is not much of a drip but when ths mechanic put it in with the car off it was coming out in like a fast trickle, its kinda hard to explain, but he says my radiator busted , which i really dont dispute because i sometimes notice leaking from there but he was saying it was totally shot and I was thinking like more some it was overly rusted in some parts from sitting so much outside without cover, it would b 225 to get a new one for parts and labor i told him id get back to him on that purchase, then he went on to say that i may need a head gasket but he wouldnt be able to tell without a new radiator in there , then his final suggestion was that i did need a gasket and on my engine the gaskets arent changable u just get a new engine and he could get me one for 1400 parts and labor.I am utterly going crazy at this dilemma. Now when I get home from the shop, I fill it with coolant while it was running, it bubbled up some then calmed down , i rode around for maybe 2 hours or more , i got no coolant smell and my temp on the dash fluctuated back and forth as low as 170 to as high as 250, it would go up gradually depending on how long i was idle for the most part, it was about 34 degrees today if that any kind of info that help, i know this is kind of vague but what might it seem like to u all?

o boy! do not listen to mechanics! he replaced the water pump ( i am pretty sure it was fine), now he wants to replace the radiator (!) and probably whole engine!!!! then he will tell you your tranny is about to fall apart... did you chack the radiator anks for cracks? do not ask a mechanic, DIY!

Hi Nina

I would look for another mechanic. If your raditor is leaking which is not oncommon for a older car You should be able to find the leak yourself just by looking around the raditor you may have to rinse it off to find exactly where it comming from.You may just have a hose leaking something very simple to fix.You will notice the leak more when you shut down the car beacuse that when the system is under the most pressure.I would check the yellow pages and look for a raditor shop in your area I also live in michigan but it's a big state. Sometimes to get a raditor rebuilt is your best bet and the cheapest way to go. Last time I had a raditor problem I took it to the raditor shop they recored the raditor. There used to be a shop in clawson michigan If I recall the name was raditor king or something like that it was in the back of a gas station but the guy does good work at honest prices.If I recall I paid something like $125 for the job and he did it while I waited it took about 1.5 hrs but it was worth the wait It would have been quicker but he did not have the raditor in stock so he rebuilt (recored)my old one.

Maybe your mechanic is correct but I would get a secon opinion about head gaskets and it can be done without a new engine.And a new engine is just the starting price at $1400 you mentioned when they tear it apart they will find all kind of extras you need new hoses, eng mounts,gaskets etc etc..'and the total cost will be a lot more than the price you quoted.

Good Luck

Jim

then his final suggestion was that i did need a gasket and on my engine the gaskets arent changable u just get a new engine and he could get me one for 1400 parts and labor.

Replace the engine instead of the gasket? Are you sure this guy is a mechanic? :rolleyes: I'd find a REAL mechanic.

I try not to ask mechanics, i try to troubleshoot as much as I can and use different sources on the internet this site included for input on my findings, so when and if i have to ask a mechanic anything I try to have a general understanding of the problem..but this situation here has got me perplexed. I do sometimes see leakage from my radiator but its hard to really pinpoint where, ill get down on the ground and look up under the car and it looks normal to me, but im not very automotive intelligent. I know the sure fire way to best test the radiator is to pull it out and dip it in liquid to check for cracks. I change minor hoses and things on my own , but I'm too afraid for any other things for fear that I may make the problem worse. Now my dads talking about maybe its the fan.I just need to get her back on the road without any fears of being stranded somewhere....I do have a mechanic friend whose generally been honest about repairs during the last few years ive known him..thought maybe id have him check it out in the morning!

Nina,

It's a good idea to have someone you trust to look at the car. I hate too see mechanics cheating on people, furthermore on ladies! Do not get upset - even if , say, the radiator leaks (I am sure it has cracks because it is old enough) you still can drive the car safely. Half capacity coolant is actually enough to take care of cooling in the winter.

Back to the serpentine belt. Was it bad? What was the reason it got off?

Nina

Have you considered buying cooling system sealer to see if the leak can be stopped without mechanical repair? Sealer may provide some indication as to the state of your radiator if indeed it’s leaking. If the radiator needs to be replaced the sealer will either not work or only be a temporary fix as another leak will likely spring up. But if it’s in otherwise generally good condition you may be able to repair a leaking radiator by spending only a few dollars. Though it sounds that your coolant leak may be too large for sealer you might want to give it a shot anyway. Also, regarding the head gasket, some of the sealers on the market can seal both radiator and head gasket leaks. I once owned a 77 Datsun B210 and the head gasket leaked so bad there was a stream of water coming out the tail pipe. I couldn’t believe the engine was able to run. I bought sealer made by Solder Seal called Block Seal or something like that and it sealed the head gasket without needing mechanical repair. Just be aware to read instructions carefully. For example, to my recollection the Block Seal must be flushed from the cooling system according to the instructions otherwise it can harden and completely block the radiator.

Before you try this, I would suggest waiting to see if others are willing to comment about this suggestion. I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction.

Mike

you all are so very helpful, I honestly dont know what i would do without this site. With the belt it was just time for a new one, it was really worn so that made it loose on my pulleys and it slipped off, the new one has been working fine since installation and yes i will try a radiator sealant, my father also suggested I try a sealant also. wish me luck!

Nina,

I would keep a close eye on that belt and be very suspicious. The tensioner should keep the belt tight no matter how worn it is. My last car had 125k with the original belt and never slipped off. what I am saying is make sure that the tensioner will move freely and is not rusted in position.

when i say worn im saying like the belt wasnt deteriorating making it not wide enough to fit securely in place, when i actually noticed it was off, it was like partially still on and over to the right..where it was on the right it was not on the pulleys n-e more , it was totally off, i had to ease it around to get it completely off.it looked as if it kinda slipped, u know like how a bike chain slips.sorta like that

Nina

One more thing about leaking head gaskets. You can check for signs of a head gasket leak without a mechanic. One way is to check the oil dipstick to see if the oil is discolored white or whitish. If water is leaking into the combustion chamber or is otherwise getting into the engine through an oil passage, it will mix with oil and emulsify causing the oil to turn whitish in color. Also, remove the oil cap and look into the engine to see if there is any milky residue and check under the oil cap for same.

It is possible for a defective head gasket to cause coolant to leak externally. If you can see coolant leaking from the head/block seem then there is a problem.

Mike

With my recent experiences with teh coolaing system and tracking the whole cooling system for blockage, extra heat and what not, I think the initial drop towards teh passenger side could be the overflow tube coming out of teh surge tank. The latest drops after changing the water pump is becuase of one of the loose hose while the mechanic was putting that pump in. They always do that. Leave a hose or two loose. My mechanic is adamant that my engine is roasted and I have a leaked headgasket. But I am sure thats not the case becuase there is no emulsification in engine oil and other things liek engine is still running like a beauty. no noise nothing.

I wish u luck and please wish me luck too.

Ali

Archived