CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

My New 1993 Seville

Matt

I had my eye on this Seville for a long time. It was a friends of the family, stored in a garage and not used much. With 100.000 miles it is in fantastic shape. There are service records for general maintenance that show its care. I wanted this car for a long time and now it's mine. I'v had it for 7 days now and am obsessed with careing for it. It's clean in and out. I love the dark metalic green and the white leather interior. The 4.9 V8 PFI engine is fast and powerfull. I'v been a mechanic for 23 years with a large general equipment rental company and have the place and tools to care for this car. The car has 2 problems . The first is no big deal, I have a place local that will work on the Bose Stereo. I get a CD error when I put in a compact disk and it will not play. I may take it out and look it over my self, I'm not sure. "The second problem is more complicated". The engine idles rough when in drive. If it's in park it idles good 99% of the time. I'v put in a full tank of Mobil Hi Test and a can of Fuel system and injector cleaner.The injectors on this engine are around the sides of the intake manifold. I also sprayed out the goop from the air intake system with sensor safe cleaner. I found a lot of build up in the center of the air intake in the two tubes that stick up under the butterflys. I cleaned it all out to. I have only used up a quarter of the tank of fuel so far with this treatment in it and it is starting to run a bit smother at idle in drive. NOW I NEED TO KNOW WHAT MODEL THIS CAR IS ?? I want to find info from this site but is it a Seville or a STS or a SLS ?? My owners manual package makes no mention of any thing but Seville.. I read something about needing to re set the idle system if the battery is disconnected, mine was for a little bit. Please help me find what model this is so I can use some of the computer diags to look for a idle problem. THANKS MUCH. Matt

Does it have fog lights?

Of the many, that is one easilly identifiable difference between the base Seville, and the STS.

If it is an STS, it will lack the exterior chome grille and trim of the Seville (and SLS of 1994+), yet have more agressive lower body cladding, including fog lights infront.

Interior wise, the STS has wood trim on the console and rear doors, whereas the Seville does not as well.

Those are the main visual differences.

Hope this helps

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

The STS has smaller tail lights, to allow for the larger license plates in europe.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Changes year by year on the Seville

That is a local Caddyinfo website and it has all the changes that occured on the Seville since 1989. If you say your Cadillac has a 4.9L V8 I would think that it would be the SLS since only the STS in 1993 got the Northstar but I could be mistaken. Glad you like the car and welcome!

Spence

Whether it's a seville or sts you have a fine auto in your possession... congratulations. That 4.9 will definitely come off the line in a hurry. As far as the Bose system goes...... it's very common for the earlier CD players to fart out and give you that error message. Sometimes on warm dry days they "might" behave if you're lucky. There is no easy fix for this problem. Any certified repair center just replaces the old CD unit part with an updated model. The cost is around $200 and mine came with a 2 year warranty. I use my CD player about 90% of the time and it's still going strong after 2 years. Let me know if you need a recommended service center.

:)

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

If the car is a '93 and the engine is a 4.9L then you have the SLS model Seville. The STS in '93 came with the 4.6L DOHC engine. The Cadillac emblem should be located on top of your hood for the SLS, and your grille would be chrome. On the STS model the emblem would be located in the middle of the grille, and the grille would be the same color as the car. I hope you find your Seville as satisfying as I find mine to be everyday.

OK, Guys. Thanks for all the help on what model I have. Let me try to go through all the replys. I am sure it's a 1993. Yet there is no STS or SLS on trunk lid. Next here is the Vin Numbewr- 2 1g6ks52b1pu835268. I hope you find it for me. Next it HAS the exterior chrome grill and lots of lower body cladding, but I have no fog lights. I do have wood trim on the console and all the doors. As for the tail lights, I do not know if they are larger or smaller since i have nothing to compare then to. Yes I have the 4.9L V-8. I understand you say the STS in 1993 got the Northsar. And to kger2, thank you for the congrads. It is a fine automobile. It really has power. It's so nice to have such a fine automobile with so much power. It is very sporty to me and really supprises many on the road when i shove there aggression in there faces and blow them away. Fine on the CD repair. I have a place near by I have had repairs on other equipment done by in the past. Thanks. My Emblem is on top of the hood and my grille is chrome. OK , there you have it. Now it's time for sleep, only 7 hours before I get to drive to work again, I look forward to the drive now. WOW..... P/s I try to add a pic of Seville but no matter what I do, size and file type, it keeps telling me i can not add file of this type. What is it looking for??

OK, Guys. Thanks for all the help on what model I have. Let me try to go through all the replys. I am sure it's a 1993. Yet there is no STS or SLS on trunk lid. Next here is the Vin Numbewr- 2 1g6ks52b1pu835268. I hope you find it for me. Next it HAS the exterior chrome grill and lots of lower body cladding, but I have no fog lights. I do have wood trim on the console and all the doors. As for the tail lights, I do not know if they are larger or smaller since i have nothing to compare then to. Yes I have the 4.9L V-8. I understand you say the STS in 1993 got the Northsar.

It's neither a STS, or SLS. It's a standard Seville, the base model.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I want to thank everyone for there time . Thanks very much to " bbobynski " for the instructions on how to clean the throttle body to get my idle correct. Now that I have exact info i can go over it again and pay attention to your instructions. I will also reset the PCM after it is all done. I took care of the radator and added a liquid that my parts dealer said to use, BUT the coolent is not what you spoke of nor did i use Distilled water. This weekend I will do it all over again. I will try to locate the GM pellets this time and buy distilled water. I will do it sooner this week if I can locate the pellets faster. Now others are saying I have the SLS model, I would have thought that someware on the car or in all the original manuals I got with it there would have been mention of the model someware,other then just Seville. What say you??? There is one fellow here that said he ran the Vin number I gave him and it comes up SLS. OK, now it's back to the reck room to watch a little Tv and clean up the car some more. I converted the 3 car garage to a play room/garage, it's nice to relax there in the evenings and be next to the car. Thanks for the help. Matt

I will try to locate the GM pellets this time and buy distilled water. I will do it sooner this week if I can locate the pellets faster.

Matt,

You can get Bar's Leaks from Wal-Mart, see the topic:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...t=0entry40540

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

the big thing with the 4.9L is they have weak, or poor injecters. If they aren't used the begine to fail. But theay are easy check, just need to mesure resitens within the injector.

They should have at least 12 ohms or better. If not they need to be replaced. There five that are on top and easy to check, if they are fine a would just gues the others are aswell.

Weak injectors? Nah! That doesnt make sense. I often drive GM cars well over 200,000 miles. I have never had a GM injector fail 'due to a lack of use.'

Have seen replaced aftermarket 'rebuilt' injector flow 30% different then stock. This is ok if ALL the injectors are replaced. Its the way the PCM sets the pulth rate via the PCM based on O2 Sensor feedback......

That should say....

'Pulse rate of the injectors'

Its a PCM issue. Throw in one 'new' rebuilt injector with a 30% less flow rate.....the PCM cannot see that......you will have a miss.

Replace the complete set with rebuilt units.....the PCM can deal with that.

If you are going to replace a single injector....use a new GM unit.

Been there....done that...

Archived