CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

cruise control 97 Seville

Hi all. 

I rarely post about my 97 Seville. Still love it. Noticed on a recent road trip that my resume/ accel part of the cruise control is not working.

Everything else works but that. Every time I had to stop cruise I could not resume, had to hit set every time. 

I swapped the stalk today (even though I have never had one not work) and it made no difference.

I have never really had any issues with the cruise units in the mid 90s once they did away with the vacuum type. 

Any ideas on what I  might have to get into would be much appreciated. I may have a spare cruise unit kicking around but dont want to change it unless I have to.

Thanks All. Happy motoring

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Rockfangd,

This is the pg you needURL]

URL]IMG_0256_zpssfaamejj.jpg

Sorry about the sideways shot. Photobucket wouldn't let me rotate it for some reason????

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Thank you very much. So according to the chart I have a problem with the grey/blk wire from the column to the cruise module.

Should be 12v when pushing resume. I only have 1.7v.

Hopefully I can find the time to figure out where the problem is. Sounds like a corroded wire.

GM FAN FOREVER

Sure does sound like a corroded wire, that's quite a voltage drop. 

Check the steering column connector first, That's the C202 connector, it's pretty easy to check. You may have been there already when you did the switch test though, If you want/need a pic of the circuit let me know.

Edited by OldCadTech

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2016 at 3:01 AM, OldCadTech said:

Rockfangd,

This is the pg you needURL]

URL]IMG_0256_zpssfaamejj.jpg

Sorry about the sideways shot. Photobucket wouldn't let me rotate it for some reason????

Is there any chance you still have the cruise control diagram? I am trying to find the cruise issue while I am going to have the column out.

GM FAN FOREVER

Rock, I sold the 98 and the FSM with it.

I had a preliminary edition, I will look for it,

Edited by OldCadTech

Lol. 

I have the FSM but have little time and patience to look. I remembered there was one here but it is gone. I may have saved it as well

GM FAN FOREVER

@rockfangd is this the scan you are looking for, I have one more on the cruise control system, if it isn't, I think you were looking for the stalk wiring, no?

scan0039.jpg

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Thank you. That is perfect. 

The wire in question is the grey/black that goes from the stalk to the cruise controller. I may take it apart tomorrow. Just got NYSI today.

Wanted that done before I take it apart

GM FAN FOREVER

So today I replaced the turn signal switch and cancelling cam kit. I ohmed the wires from the stalk to the base of the column at the main black plug. All are good. I now need to ohm from there to the cruise control unit. I figure that is where the issue is. If I find the issue  I will post a pic.

I am sure this is a broken record comment but I dont think GM crammed enough components and wiring through the saginaw column. 

I have needed to replace the turn signal switch since the day I bought this car. It must have had a bad contact for the Left turn, but I was always careful with it. First time I ever drove the car it puffed smoke out of the column. That was however many years ago lol. 

GM FAN FOREVER

So I must be so close. 

I traced the wiring from the column plug under the dash to under the hood. 

It does not go directly to the cruise control module. There is a wide plug under the black cover by the Left strut tower. The wires from the column go there. I ohmed the grey/black on each side of the plug and it was open. I then took the plug apart and found corrosion on the pins. 

I cleaned the pins good and reassembled it. I thought yay I found the problem. But no.

So the connection is good at each side of the plug but still nothing at the cruise control module. It looks to be just a short set of wires that go from that plug to the cruise control module. So either that wire from the plug does not go to the cruise control module or the wire is bad somewhere between the plug and the module..

The grey/black can be seen in the picture below. If I can 100% confirm that the grey/black in that black plug goes to the module then It must be bad.

I am also nearly certain that the dark blue next to it is the set/coast wire. I should have ohmed that.

The diagram is not quite clear enough to see the pin numbers in the plugs. That would confirm it as well

Just for the heck of it I tried it while driving tonight and no response

plug Seville.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Yay. Today I have success.

Problem was at the black plug in the picture. The wire itself at the pin that goes out to the cruise module was bad right at the pin itself.

Thus why the pin ohmed good but I still had no connection. 

Replaced the wires to the plug and voila it works again.

The really sad part is that it took me nearly 3 years to get a chance to find the problem.

Not hard to fix but when juggling the craziness I live time just flies.

Thank you all for the help

GM FAN FOREVER

13 hours ago, rockfangd said:

Yay. Today I have success.

Problem was at the black plug in the picture. The wire itself at the pin that goes out to the cruise module was bad right at the pin itself.

Thus why the pin ohmed good but I still had no connection. 

Replaced the wires to the plug and voila it works again.

The really sad part is that it took me nearly 3 years to get a chance to find the problem.

Not hard to fix but when juggling the craziness I live time just flies.

Thank you all for the help

So how was the wire bad?  Broken at the pin?  Or was the pin bad?

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm