CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

~TRUNK DAMAGE UPDATE~

davedog

Well, I know someone who ownes a body shop so I went over To talk with him. He said that the cheapest thing to do would be to get another trunk lid, BUT the thing that would look the BEST is to have it fixed. He said it would be easier to blend the paint that way, and didn't seem to think the dent would be to hard to pull. He also thinks he may be able to come up with the chrome piece!

I've known him for a while and I trust his opion, so I'm probably gonna go for it. I've got about two weeks of jobs in front of me though, but his price is right (best case $375, worst $600), so I guess I'll undure 2 weeks more of punishment. <_>

Well, when I got up this morning and looked at my car, it didn't seem so bad, still overall one great looking ride...but I still can't wait to get her fixed.

Well, I'll keep ya'll posted, and I'll put up before and after pics when it's all over in a couple weeks. Thanks for all the help thus far.

Here's the pic in case anyone hasn't seen the results of my stupidity:

p2150064.jpg

Crystal Red Tintcoat Exterior | Shale/Brownstone Interior | 32k

Ummm...thats pretty bad. It will never be right again...

Try...

car-part

The chrome bumper part is plastic. It should still be available from Cadillac.

I noticed the XM radio antenna. I tryed the same thing on my '93 SLS. Still looks like crap on the front edge of the decklid. So...try it inside...

Its hard to see...but this car has a XM radio antenna inside the back window..look near the rear passenger side shoulder belt. There it is..

1062664446989_fake_008.jpg

I know you have the 3RD lamp in the center. The antennas will work 99% of the time inside the window. The newer antennas are way smaller. Maybe 2x3 inches. Have one on the roof of the wifes Saturn VUE.

Ouch, be prepared to bend over to get it fixed correctly... I went through the same thing when I was hit by a runaway rolling lifted truck... Final cost was $1800+ to his insurance company... That was repairing the trunk, repaint, left tail light, blending into the rear fenders, and painting the roof...

caddy_trunk.jpg

The bodyshop (my preferred) told me they could do a trunk only repair if I wished, but that it wouldn't look right after a year or two because of fading...

Hmmm, not sure why the image is so large here... I linked it on another site and it was much smaller... :unsure:

The bodyshop (my preferred) told me they could do a trunk only repair if I wished, but that it wouldn't look right after a year or two because of fading...

That doesn't sound right. Any good bodyshop should be able to match the color and if it is done right shouldn't fade anymore than the factory job. The body shop I take my cars to guarantees his work for 7 years. Any work I have had done by him has always looked like a factory job for as long as I have owned the cars.

Ummm...thats pretty bad. It will never be right again...

Try...

car-part

The chrome bumper part is plastic. It should still be available from Cadillac.

I noticed the XM radio antenna. I tryed the same thing on my '93 SLS. Still looks like crap on the front edge of the decklid. So...try it inside...

Its hard to see...but this car has a XM radio antenna inside the back window..look near the rear passenger side shoulder belt. There it is..

1062664446989_fake_008.jpg

I know you have the 3RD lamp in the center. The antennas will work 99% of the time inside the window. The newer antennas are way smaller. Maybe 2x3 inches. Have one on the roof of the wifes Saturn VUE.

I have sirius, don't think it makes a difference though...

Do you really get good rececption like that???

I asked the guy at Best Buy if I could do that when I bought mine, but he said it HAD to be on the OUTSIDE.....but what does he know

How much of a reception loss did you get?

and an off-subject question...is there somewhere I can get the "ETC" emblem for my car....I've tried ebay..

Ouch, be prepared to bend over to get it fixed correctly... I went through the same thing when I was hit by a runaway rolling lifted truck... Final cost was $1800+ to his insurance company... That was repairing the trunk, repaint, left tail light, blending into the rear fenders, and painting the roof...

did the repaired trunk look OK or were you always able to tell it had been fixed.

Al least my taillight didn't get damaged at all

Both the XM and the Sirrus use a Trek antenna. They look identical on the outside.

I only loose the signal maybe 2% of the time. Not very often...and only for a half a second or so.

The ETC emblem should only be $10-15 new at Cadillac.

Logan...can buy that peice of chrome that got damaged (see pic above) by itself? Someone told me it was part of the bumber and I would have to replace the whole thing.

If I can buy it seperatly, how much do you think it would cost at cadillac, and what should I ask for?

THANKS! :D

By the way, it's not a bumber, it's a bumper. At any rate, Is that the Really Really Dark Green color? If it is, one of the guys that works for me will sell you his entire car...trunk lid included...for $16,000. 67000 miles..identical '92. Oh, and if you ever need a pair of those pressure assist lifts for your seat, he has a spare set new in box. Seems they only sell in sets of 2 so thinking he was ordering 2 pcs, ended up with 4.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

LOL...don't need the whole car!

Is 16,000 what a 92 eldo is worth...or is car special in some way?

(Paid 5800 for mine, with 48k)

bumper....there....I feel better now.

What are those things for the seats you are talking about????

I think the price just reflects what he has in it. Sounds like you got a great deal on yours though! I asked him if I could just buy the trunk lid, but he said he has plans to use it for a while longer. Anyway, the seat backs seem to be assisted by those high pressure gas strut things. Like those that commonly hold up hatchback lids and hoods and such. His failed, so he ordered some new ones...and ended up with an extra pair.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Ya know...Maby if you shut yourself, or better yet someone else, in the trunk they could push out the dent with their feet.  As they are screeming to be let out.

Just a thought....

Ya know, you'd be surprised how hard it is to get a conscious person into the trunk of a Caddy... :o ummm...or so I'm told, or something

-Mark P.

Salem, MA

IPB Image

"Refined Sugar" - '96 SLS, 175K

"...the Caddy is dedicated to relentlessly -- and comfortably -- converting time into distance." -J.J. Gertler

hate to ruin this plan, but there is another layer of metal inside the trunk. You can't even tell it's been hit from the inside....

...even if someone shuts you in..... :ph34r:

you could always drill a hole from inside the trunck and take a pick bar but that's getting complicated and if you do it wrong you will wind up with a bigger mess than before you started.You are better off leaving it alone and let the body shop get at the damaged area. You could always try a bath room plunger on the outside of the truck just put it on there like a big suction cup and pull & see if some of it will pop out.

Good Luck

Jim

Archived