CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

mileage

Ed Fenwick

Aloha,

Now that I don't go to work anymore, my driving is just town and country. Verry little freway anymore. The car gets 13.1-13.8 mpg pretty steady over many tanks of gas. Is that what I can expect or is there something that I can do? only 80K miles.

Thanks Ed

That sounds about right for stop and go local driving, I was getting about 17-18 with mixed driving with my 91 Seville 4.9, but local driving definately dropped it. Make sure you run your tires hard to minimize rolling resistance but don't exceed the max pressure marked on the tire. Keep it tuned up

13's are pretty good for stop and go driving. A lot of variables to consider like amount of traffic, number of stops, ricers that need to be beat, darting pedestrians, etc. Shoot sometimes I even get in the single digits. Of course I manually shift into 3rd to keep the tranny from searching in city or town driving (40mph or less).

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

No way, You should AVG 17-18 mpg around town and short trips. There is something wrong check your codes. My son's 92 Eldo Avg 17-18 and he works three minutes from home to work. He gives the Eldo hell and when he's not working its never parked at home always on the go. He's nineteen years old, and that should tell you about his driving habits. However, once his milage drops below 17 he always tell me there is something wrong with his car because his milage has dropped, and guess what he has been right every time and its not because of his great driving habits (Ha, Ha).

No way, You should AVG 17-18 mpg around town and short trips. There is something wrong check your codes. My son's 92 Eldo Avg 17-18 and he works three minutes from home to work. He gives the Eldo hell and when he's not working its never parked at home always on the go. He's nineteen years old, and that should tell you about his driving habits. However, once his milage drops below 17 he always tell me there is something wrong with his car because his milage has dropped, and guess what he has been right every time and its not because of his great driving habits (Ha, Ha).

No offense to your son but if the only time he can get below 17 (average gas mileage) is when there is something wrong with the car then I fear one of two things. One: the mileage indicator isn't working properly. Two: he drives like a stereotypical old man......unless, of course, he resets the Ave Mileage indicator before you see it. :)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The size (heavy) and power (Lots! :D ) of these

cars make them hyper sensitive in the mileage department (IMO).

The first week I had mine I was averaging 11 miles per gallon. Since then I have started to refrain from testing the traction control system at every stop light and I get about 15 around town. If I turn off the A/C and drive like my grandma I can get 17.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Just in case you are interested, I use a gas additive made by STP in my 92 Caddy Sevile 4.9, and it may not seem to help too much but it gets me about 14-15 mpg's in the city. I only add this stuff once every 2,000 miles and it seems to be pretty efective. It costs $4 a bottle. You should look into it, it can be bought at any pep boys or most automotive parts stores.

I get about 16 when im in traffic in the city and about 22 on the highway. I have gottnen it up to 24 before that was my best!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Yes, I am avergeing something like 17 miles city, But that is mainly because I live in a lower traffic small city! I think the the worst I have ever averaged was about 11 and that was when I first started driving! 13 seems kinda low!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Let's all remember that the original poster is not driving a NS but a 4.9. I have had a 13 mpg average on my 96 Deville and 91 Seville 4.9 on many occasions depending upon the driving conditions. Put any car in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic with the AC on (he is in Hawaii) and that is what you get and less.

Hell on that other hand, if I am on the open highway doing 55 with the cruise control on I have gotten 28 after pushing MPG RESET while I was moving! Lets try to be supportive, informatiive and accurate here. This guy basically asked if 'given his driving conditions' WAS it possible, given that he does VERY LITTLE highway driving that he could be in the 13 to 14 MPG range? And hell yes its possible, maybe those of you that are saying, NO WAY THATS LOW, need to visit New York City to understand what stop and go traffic is and how it affects your MPG.

So by saying NO WAY thats LOW how have you helped his guy? Now he thinks he has a problem? My first post said, run the tires hard and keep it tuned up, that is all we can do for him given that 13 to 14 MPG is possible in stop and go conditions...especially since it seems that he at ONE TIME got acceptible gas mileage

Facts and direct experience are king, anecdotal information is not helpful.

Let's all remember that the original poster is not driving a NS but a 4.9.  I have had a 13 mpg average on my 96 Deville and 91 Seville 4.9 on many occasions depending upon the driving conditions.  Put any car in bumper to bumper stop and go traffic with the AC on (he is in Hawaii) and that is what you get and less. 

Hell on that other hand, if I am on the open highway doing 55 with the cruise control on I have gotten 28 after pushing MPG RESET while I was moving!  Lets try to be supportive, informatiive and accurate here.  This guy basically asked if 'given his driving conditions' WAS it possible, given that he does VERY LITTLE highway driving that he could be in the 13 MPG range?  And hell yes its possible, maybe those of you that are saying, NO WAY THATS LOW, need to visit New York City to understand what stop and go traffic is and how it affects your MPG. 

So by saying NO WAY thats LOW how have you helped his guy?  Now he thinks he has a problem?  My first post said, run the tires hard and keep it tuned up, that is all we can do for him given that 13 to 14 MPG is possible given stop and go conditions...

Amen brother!!! B)

I was also wondering if some were reading what he wrote and considered that he drives on an island. This is about his car. His situation. :blink:

"Burns" rubber

Now I'm sorry I responded. I really didn't think that by adding my experience I'd be met with that kind of backlash. I looked around the site, and was dumb enough to think that maybe a few posts might help to generate some interest and traffic. I thought, mistakenly it seems, that people might be interested in typical examples of other owners' results.

Believe me, I never meant to generate that type of negative response. I thought forums were for discussions. I won't bother you again.

Now I'm sorry I responded. I really didn't think that by adding my experience I'd be met with that kind of backlash. I looked around the site, and was dumb enough to think that maybe a few posts might help to generate some interest and traffic. I thought, mistakenly it seems, that people might be interested in typical examples of other owners' results.

Believe me, I never meant to generate that type of negative response. I thought forums were for discussions. I won't bother you again.

Frankly the post was not directed at you AT ALL, so dont be so sensitive and take your ball and run home. For that matter my post was not directed at anyone in particular. It was not necessary to cut and run like you did, YOUR POST for your information WAS helpful, as you are driving a 92 AND your mileage was higher due to YOUR highway driving. BUT a lot of the posts were NOT applicable, as they are driving a NS, not driving in traffic and the info is anecdotal....Its not necessary to post to every thread for the hell of it

If you RE-READ this thread VERY little information was helpful and I simply was trying to bring it back to an acceptible level of focus, FOCUS is the word! If you re-read you will see posters CONTRADICTING prior posts, and also CONTRADICTING themselves WITHIN posts..... Lets not be so sensitive! I personally make mistakes here all the time and I accept my lumps and move on!

Unless your average MPG is less than 0 ( :D ) or more than 70 you probably get what you were supposed to and your Caddy is doing well. There is no way to compare and evaluate MPGs based on just "I drive like this or I drive like that". Period.

bob2231,

I have been around for a year or so and NEVER saw any member of this board offending someone based on what was posted. We all hope to see you posting again and sharing your experience! Nevertheless, try to avoid two topics by all means:

1. Are the democrats better than republicans?

2. Is synthetic motor oil better than mineral one? :D

Here is where everybody gets nasty! :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Frankly the post was not directed at you AT ALL, so dont be so sensitive and take your ball and run home.  For that matter my post was not directed at anyone in particular.  It was not necessary to cut and run like you did, YOUR POST for your information WAS helpful, as you are driving a 92 AND your mileage was higher due to YOUR highway driving.  BUT a lot of the posts were NOT applicable, as they are driving a NS, not driving in traffic and the info is anecdotal....Its not necessary to post to every thread for the hell of it

If you RE-READ this thread VERY little information was helpful and I simply was trying to bring it back to an acceptible level of focus, FOCUS is the word!  If you re-read you will see posters CONTRADICTING prior posts, and also CONTRADICTING themselves WITHIN posts..... Lets not be so sensitive!  I personally make mistakes here all the time and I accept my lumps and move on!

After experiencing some other caddy enthusiast sites I thought it might be nice to find one that's not as critical and argumentative. So I tried here. As you can see by the info under my name, I've had pretty limited experience with the site (Mostly trying to find some parts with no success. But hey, people have what they have, and you can't expect to find old parts that easily) but I wanted to get more involved.

So I posted my experience in a pretty generic thread and right away 2 established members slam what people have written. While it's true you didn't mention any specific names, you also didn't exclude any. And frankly, the stuff about taking my ball home and cutting and running, make me wonder about the aggressive attitude.

As a suggestion, maybe you could have just pointed out that some were off topic and tried the friendly approach. Sometimes that works better, especially with newer members. If you'll look at what you wrote, with all the caps and such, your explaination isn't even friendly.

To be honest, I thought I was in a car forum not a fight club. I didn't know there were lumps invovled here.

Let's leave my balls out of it OK? :lol:

Frankly the post was not directed at you AT ALL, so dont be so sensitive and take your ball and run home.  For that matter my post was not directed at anyone in particular.   It was not necessary to cut and run like you did, YOUR POST for your information WAS helpful, as you are driving a 92 AND your mileage was higher due to YOUR highway driving.   BUT a lot of the posts were NOT applicable, as they are driving a NS, not driving in traffic and the info is anecdotal....Its not necessary to post to every thread for the hell of it

If you RE-READ this thread VERY little information was helpful and I simply was trying to bring it back to an acceptible level of focus, FOCUS is the word!   If you re-read you will see posters CONTRADICTING prior posts, and also CONTRADICTING themselves WITHIN posts..... Lets not be so sensitive!   I personally make mistakes here all the time and I accept my lumps and move on!

After experiencing some other caddy enthusiast sites I thought it might be nice to find one that's not as critical and argumentative. So I tried here. As you can see by the info under my name, I've had pretty limited experience with the site (Mostly trying to find some parts with no success. But hey, people have what they have, and you can't expect to find old parts that easily) but I wanted to get more involved.

So I posted my experience in a pretty generic thread and right away 2 established members slam what people have written. While it's true you didn't mention any specific names, you also didn't exclude any. And frankly, the stuff about taking my ball home and cutting and running, make me wonder about the aggressive attitude.

As a suggestion, maybe you could have just pointed out that some were off topic and tried the friendly approach. Sometimes that works better, especially with newer members. If you'll look at what you wrote, with all the caps and such, your explaination isn't even friendly.

To be honest, I thought I was in a car forum not a fight club. I didn't know there were lumps invovled here.

Let's leave my balls out of it OK? :lol:

Point taken, welcome to the site, I am sure you will see that we are a friendly group, and I will watch the caps, its a bad habit...Mike

Thanks Mike, no harm no foul.

Hopefully I can contribute something. I have some work experience with GM and recognize a name or 2 here from other forums. Guru seems to still be an info junkie.

Thanks Mike, no harm no foul.

Hopefully I can contribute something. I have some work experience with GM and recognize a name or 2 here from other forums. Guru seems to still be an info junkie.

Terrific welcome, its a great group and very helpful, I have learned a lot here and this board helps me own and maintain my 96... Mike

Archived