CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

just replaced my wheel hub assembly

tekfx19

I replaced the right side because of its annoying loudness on the road, i did some road "S's" and replaced the louder side, when i got past the brakes, and loosened the spindle hub and 3 t55 bolts the darn thing fell out. no wheel puller necessary.

so now i drive it, and the OTHER side is comparably louder than the new "quieter" side. But now at least i got rid of the whurr noise from that side.

hub assembly from pepboys 139 + tax

going to buy another after i get back from orlando.....

Please explain in greater detail how you decided which side was louder. I still have a slight noise when I turn left, like in a parking lot, at low speed. It is a little more like a recurring clicking than it is a whirring sound. I suspect the right side drive shaft CV joints....but how can I tell?

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

JohnnyG,

Just do a series of "S" turns, like a Nascar driver heating their tires. A bad bearing will growl louder when you load that bearing and quiet up when you unload the bearing.

JohnnyG,

Just do a series of "S" turns, like a Nascar driver heating their tires. A bad bearing will growl louder when you load that bearing and quiet up when you unload the bearing.

I am getting that growl now on the LF.... I need to tear this front end apart..

I just got back from orlando, the drive sucked very badly. After i replaced the right hub, whenever i made left turns it was silent, not like before. IN FACT the right hub was so bad that i didnt even hear the left hub which is not as bad, but at 80 miles an hour on the highway it became downright annoying. So whenever the highway drifted left, it was fine...smooth riding, however if it drifted right, then loud noises were made and my steering wheel shook madly. The sound was exactly like the sound of the pod racers in episode I of starwars. the sound of the pod racers going by really fast. Now i want to change the other one, 75 bucks?!!! I might just check that out.

Scotty,

If your hearing that growl, I wouldn't put it off. I noticed mine about 60 miles into a 200 mile trip and it was raining pretty heavy and really didn't know what it was until I got further down the road.

Jim

Thanks Jim you are right about that, I certainly don't want any cherry RED hubs! LOL....

I just got back from orlando, the drive sucked very badly. After i replaced the right hub, whenever i made left turns it was silent, not like before. IN FACT the right hub was so bad that i didnt even hear the left hub which is not as bad, but at 80 miles an hour on the highway it became downright annoying. So whenever the highway drifted left, it was fine...smooth riding, however if it drifted right, then loud noises were made and my steering wheel shook madly. The sound was exactly like the sound of the pod racers in episode I of starwars. the sound of the pod racers going by really fast. Now i want to change the other one, 75 bucks?!!! I might just check that out.

You know its funny you say that, I am getting a little wheel shake also! I need to get this baby up and look it over, I need to take my son back to college next week... Thanks

The napa down here wanted 136 + tax for the hub, i was really hoping for cheaper, oh well.

I just checked my NAPA also, it was $140, maybe I am thinking about my 91... I was hoping to save you some money, oh well... Mike

just checked my NAPA also, it was $140, maybe I am thinking about my 91... I was hoping to save you some money, oh well... Mike

Yes 91 was $75.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Is the hub were the speed sensor is located? My traction control no longer works and when I looked up the code it said left rear speed sensor continuity fault and then I phoned the GM dealership and they told me it was all in the hub and that it would be 400 dollars for a new one. The car drives fine I just would like traction control and to get rid of the annoying ABS and traction dissabled message.

So if you know that would be great cause thats not a bad price. Can I install it myself? I have no mechanic experiance LOL.

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

The hub bearing and sensor assembly are one assembly according to my 96 manaul. In bold at the top of the dianosis tree it says:

Ensure sensor is not visibly damaged, if it is damaged, replace the gub bearing sensor assembly, clear codes, and turn ignition to run to see if code exists.

Check to see if the electric connector is securely connected at the wheel, its sits inboard i believe.

Is that $400 just for the part or installed? Either way, you can get the hub & bearing assembly for at least half that price if you can do the job yourself. Might be a little tough without any mechanical expirience but then there is only one way to learn.

Like Mike said, check the connector first. If that is clean and tight then you have to change the hub & bearing assembly.

Is that $400 just for the part or installed? Either way, you can get the hub & bearing assembly for at least half that price if you can do the job yourself. Might be a little tough without any mechanical expirience but then there is only one way to learn.

Like Mike said, check the connector first. If that is clean and tight then you have to change the hub & bearing assembly.

Okay then I'll try that first so if I replace the intior thing then the Speed sensor will work again? I'll check the wire and follow it back I hope it is just a lose connection!!!! Much cheaper that way.

user posted image

Yes, the speed sensor is integral to the hub & bearing assembly so if it is replaced, the sensor is replaced with it. No need to trace anything. Just check the connector behind the wheel.

AS far as wheel hubs go i replaced both of mine about 3 months ago , i both priced and went by and looked at least 5 different hub assemblies, including GM, NAPA, AND IDIOT ZONE AND A COUPLE OF IND. jobbers. I went with idiot zone , because they use TIMKIN BEARINGS, made yes made in the USA. All of the others including AC DELPHIA were made over seas , or some assembly overseas, whatever the crap that means. THEIR quality was better than any i looked at , sensor and wireing were perfect. I HAVE used timkin bearings for over 38 years on and off and have never had a problem with them . Price was about 135.00. As a general rule i do not use the zone for my parts , my time is more imp to me than a free warranty item , that should not have gone bad in the first place. But i do recommend them for this part. 96SLS

We have had a few cars here where the connector came loose usually during a brake job...

The brakes were replaced 1,000 miles before I bought the car I'll bet thats it!!!!! :D

At least I hope thats it!

user posted image

We have had a few cars here where the connector came loose usually during a brake job...

The brakes were replaced 1,000 miles before I bought the car I'll bet thats it!!!!! :D

At least I hope thats it!

That may well be your problem! If the connector is hanging off, look to see if the connection is dirty, if it is you can purchase electrical contact cleaner (I have seen it at pepboys) and clean out the socket and plug and reconnect. The plug might also not be fully inserted or there could be corrosion from water/oxidation look the contacts over. Hope this solves your problem

Okay I tried to get at the speed sensor wire today but the problem is that I CAN'T GET AT IT!!!!!! I tried to get in there any way I could but I just couldn't find a way to get in at it. I'm going to ask my dad to give me a hand he's better at getting around those little places better than I can anyways. I get all clostrophobic when I'm under the car and it's not up on a hoiste or something so I'll get him to try and get under there today so he can clean the connection up and see if theres any corrosion in it. :D

user posted image

Okay I tried to get at the speed sensor wire today but the problem is that I CAN'T GET AT IT!!!!!! I tried to get in there any way I could but I just couldn't find a way to get in at it. I'm going to ask my dad to give me a hand he's better at getting around those little places better than I can anyways. I get all clostrophobic when I'm under the car and it's not up on a hoiste or something so I'll get him to try and get under there today so he can clean the connection up and see if theres any corrosion in it. :D

It will be easier to get at if you remove the rear tire... Mike

Archived