CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

warrenty and black box speed

an01sts

I think that it was here that someone mentioned a new goat, according to the black box, was exceeding 100 mph. The tech told the owner that if he did it again, it would void the warrenty.

There is a problem with this statement. In addition to outside of the US, after the ending the national 55 mph speed limit, there are many places in the US that don't have posted speed limits--I think that those areas are out in the midwest.

Also, my owner's manual talks about proper tire pressure/rating for driving at speeds greater than 100 mph. (They wouldn't address driving in excess of 100 mph if it weren't legal in to drive in excess of 100 mph in some parts of the US.) Why would Cadillac be telling customers what they need to do when driving their vehicles in excess of 100 mph, if drving in excess of 100 mph voided the warrenty? You'll also notice that Cadillac also clearly states what actions will void the warrenty.

What's your thoughts about a comment of driving in excess of 100 mph voiding the warrenty?

I would say that we (as a society) are well on the way to accepting this kind of quasi-regulation (again). The fact that we are even rationally discussing it - indicates a sort or passive acceptance or at least "conditioning" to the very idea.

Consider some other "balloons that have already floated":

1. Rental car companies charging for speeding.

2. Red light cameras ticketing car owners (not a specific driver).

3. Black box recorders used against the car's owner

4. No extended driving in the left lane.

5. GPS tracking & shutdown if in a forbidden zone, speed/braking limiters and recorders, alcohol no-starts. All these available now for offenders, or for your teen-agers and then - why not the rest of us law-abiding citizens?

The list goes on and on and won't stop as long as people think...

All of the above have been based on some sort of logical/legal safety issue and endorsed by the general public. The only ones complaining are the guilty ones...

Want higher-octane paranoia?

The technology has existed for some time to regulate the speed of every vehicle per any given area's speed limit via RFID, GPS or a myriad of alphabet soup techno. How would anyone argue against that great public safety concept?

Why not allow police to stop any car with an authorized code instead of endangering the public with hi-speed chases. OK, try to talk that one down?

Face it. We are in a time when technology can eclipse our so-called freedoms - with the stroke of pen. If the the above proposals were at all popular (such that an incumbent's re-election was assured) - the proposals would be law.

If every manufacturer could agree on warranties voided by "reckless driver abuse" - as they determined - it would be a done deal. The only reason its not here yet is that Safety and Marketing usually sit at opposite sides of the table. When they get together to make us all safe and better people - look out ! :(

Sorry if I sound bitter and suspicious regarding the application of technology. Believe or not, I am the chief proponent of technology at our deadly synthetic chemical facility. As expected, most of our technology is to ensure personnel safety, environmental responsibility and facility security. Production efficiency, capacity and reliability are secondary in this political/social climate.

I just seems to me that we get upset about red light camera tickets just like our grandparents got upset about traffic lights instead of Cops at every corner.

Technology is a kin to entropy.

My $0.3 and more :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

The tech told the owner that if he did it again, it would void the warrenty.

Overzealous tech, methinks. Naive? On a power trip?? Should be kept out of areas populated by customers???

Regards,

Warren :D

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

an01sts,

I saw that, too. But was too tired to reply at the time.

I can tell you from a long time "dealer" cadillac mechanic that their oversight on dealer training is non-existent. At least in the northeast region.

I mentioned the "region" because I can only speak from what I know. The dealer allows customers to be cheated by not performing oil changes and not rotating tires but charging for the work. I have proven this to my complete satisfaction.

There are worse abuses but they happened to others so I can't speak first hand.

It amazes me that a tech can plug into a black box and all of a sudden become a contract administrator. I wish that happened to me, he would have been a mere shadow of his former self when I was finished with him.

My advice, get a good independent mechanic, get the manuals, and stay away from dealers unless you really know their level of competence.

What's your thoughts about a comment of driving in excess of 100 mph voiding the warrenty?

I agree that it sounds odd. There are places in this country where that speed is allowed. I think that person was mistaken in his or her statement.

BTW, I do agree with, and fully embrace the black box notion. I wish my insurance company would allow me to install one in trade for lower premiums. Because you know what, when I write my insurance bill, I'm not paying for safe drivers. I'm paying for drivers who go out and drive 100 mph and wreck their cars and kill people in drunken stupors. My insurance would be halved or thirded if they only KNEW that I obeyed the law 90% of the time.

But having a pretty rational and objective mind, I love hard data. You can't argue with real data (assuming it was collected accurately). If my insurance company sees that I'm at WOT a lot of the time, and braking hard a lot of the time, and they raise my rates 20% for the next period because they perceive me to be a higher risk, how do I argue with that? Likewise, if they see that 90% of my driving is at or below the speed limit, and the black box records "normal" inputs of throttle and brake, and my insurance is cut by 20%, I'd be appreciative of that.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I'm paying for drivers who go out and drive 100 mph and wreck their cars and kill people in drunken stupors.

True, but you're also paying for their CEO's and corporate top echelon's bonus. I heard the other day (haven't verified) talking to a body shop rep that a CEO just received a 5,000,000.00 bonus for the year. If true, I wonder how much out of ole' Hip National (Yours and mine wallet) contributed.

Another thing some motorist are paying for is un-insured motorist. It just stagers the imagination why state regulators can't get a grip on this. I mean, here they are, imposing insurance upon those who operate vehicles on public highways, yet they don't want to put any teeth into for those who don't/won't comply. Insurance companies don't want to address it either. Hmmmm!!!

Also, I haven't heard of the insurance industry being in danger of collapsing, because they will always have revenue coming in.

I don't have anything to hide but I hope it doesn't come to the day that "any" big brother can plug into my "black box" to see my driving habits. If the insurance company wants to see my driving habits they can do it the old fashion way ... leg work!

Jim

True, but you're also paying for their CEO's and corporate top echelon's bonus.  I heard the other day (haven't verified) talking to a body shop rep that a CEO just received a 5,000,000.00 bonus for the year.  If true, I wonder how much out of ole' Hip National (Yours and mine wallet) contributed.

Yes, but that's always going to be true...with virtually any business/industry. The head-freds will make big bucks and customers will of course contribute to it. By the way, have you ever heard of an insurance company that pays dividends to its customers? I have, and I'm a customer. USAA. They're a fantastic company. ;) We did our home mortage through them, have our home and auto insurance through them, and we just used them to finance our Dodge.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

By the way, have you ever heard of an insurance company that pays dividends to its customers? I have, and I'm a customer. USAA. They're a fantastic company.

Yes sir, I have. I too am a member. They are a very good company but, they are availble but to very select group of people.

Jim

You guys are kind of freaking me out...

I was blasting down the highway today... Turned to my wife and said... "I think the vibration is back, do you feel anything?".. I look down at the speedo as I wait for her answer and I note that we are doing 165Km/h.... As usual she thought I was nuts...

I hope they still fix my Radio on Monday!

PS... I've been to the USAA HQ in San Antonio; I agree it's a very impressive company and very impressive building.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

On GM vehicles....its not like I can plug in a GM Tech2 and see that yesterday at 3 pm you were driving 101 mph.

Some Mitsubitis (?) do record some data like this. And some warranty issues have come up on people whom race their cars.

There are some aftermarket 'black boxes' that can be installed to monitor your kids or fleet vehicles.

What you may not know is the GM air bag systems DO record performance data. Dealers cannot access the data. All the info can be seen here....

www.airbagcrash.com

The current NA high speed download is 139 mph. It was a Corvette racing a Mercedes Benz. The Corvette cut a Jeep in half that was turning left. 4 killed in the Jeep. Corvette driver survived.

I have never heard of anything like that around here! But to tell you the truth it does make sense and is very possible. Is there a way to remove the black box. It all seams kind of like a myth to me because no one is sure if it true or not.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

The GM air bag systems DO record data. It will even record data in non-deployment bumps. Anything that wakes up the air bag SDM module will get recorded.

http://www.airbagcrash.com

The Tech2 cannot collect the data. You must have a Vetronix CDR to download the data.

Maybe this PDF file will work......

2G4WS52JX11165661A.PDF

Ladies & Gentlemen,

I was the one who started the thread. I will see if my son can get

more information when he goes back to college/work.

I believe the point was the car barely had 500 miles on it!

I'm amazed by those that are "OK" with being monitored because they think they are being good and will benefit or be rewarded. Um, who determines that? Have you really thought this through? Wow, what blind faith in the subjective reasoning of those monitoring you! Money rules. When the insurance companies can look at hard data that statistically shows they will pay out fewer claims if even the "good" drivers were squeezed to obey the law 99.9% of the time vs 90% then they will do just that. The naive can have that brave new black box world. Not me.

CadiKing Posted on Jan 4 2005, 06:46 AM

... I believe the point was the car barely had 500 miles on it!

Is there something in the owners regarding break in period such as how fast/certain engine RPM range to stay within?

If so, I could see where there might be a problem with the warranty coverage.

There have already been MANY lawsuits dropped after the recorder data is shown in court...or just to the plaintiff's attorney.

Can't blame the manufactures. This day in time, people will sue for anything. There are some idiots out here on the highway. I'm sure I'll see some on I-5 tomorrow.

Jim

The crash data can sometimes save your butt.

The sample crash data we posted was a rather boring download....until you know what it is showing.

Our clients Buick was involved in a very minor accident. No airbag deployment. Basically he stopped behind a S10 that had braked/stopped for a deer.

Then the S10 suddenly backed up and hit the Buick. At the time...the S10 owner stated that he had backed up so his wife could see the deer. No big deal...

It was latter on....due to insurance issues the S10 owner decided to claim that there was no deer.....and he had been rear ended by our clients Buick.

The data stored in the Buick did not support this claim. It shows the brakes were on....the car slowed to a stop...and was stopped when the impact happened. The last 5 seconds of data can really give an idea what is going on....

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?act...e=post&id=35138

The 1998 to mid 2001 lamps used the wrong sealer. When the lamp sits in the sun the material softens up....and allows a leak to form at the end points. They all do it...100% failure for water intrusion.

Cadillac at one time had a TSB about the lamps.....scrap out anything in storage and instead use a new part # with better sealer.

Mid 2001 lamps used the better sealer. These should be a much better lamp. Being so 'new' not many are floating around in the core supply field.

Anything used or on eBay will have the same issue. The key is to find the mid 2001 or newer lamp. Sometimes you can find a 'new in box' one on eBay.

Archived