CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

another fastchip question

I may be buying a fast chip but I need to know how much H.P it will give me, Will it be enough to lower my 0-60 time and Qtr. mile time? If so by how much?????? Please report back as soon as possible if anyone knows this...

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I am not sure but I dont think there will be a horse power gain! You will see an increase in acceleration which means you 0-60 and 1/4 mile time will be slightly better. I think the chip arranges the gear ratios or somthing like that for better acceleration. That is what I have read anyway. I am also looking to buying a chip but I still cant decide. I am not sur so dont trust me. I could be way wrong!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I am not sure but I dont think there will be a horse power gain! You will see an increase in acceleration which means you 0-60 and 1/4 mile time will be slightly better. I think the chip arranges the gear ratios or somthing like that for better acceleration. That is what I have read anyway. I am also looking to buying a chip but I still cant decide. I am not sur so dont trust me. I could be way wrong!

Ya I figured thats what they probly do but just wasn't sure do you know how much of an increase in acceleration I will be seeing???

user posted image

Does anyone know if the 4.9L Seville chip is the same as the 4.6L northstar chip because I believe that I read that in a previous post. Custom chips can cost upwards of $300. I wouldn't thing that they would be the same but I think i read that and just wanted to make sure.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Does anyone know if the 4.9L Seville chip is the same as the 4.6L northstar chip because I believe that I read that in a previous post. Custom chips can cost upwards of $300. I wouldn't thing that they would be the same but I think i read that and just wanted to make sure.

I could be wrong but I am 80 percent sure that you need a custom chip. The 4.9 I am thinking anyways someone can correct me if I'm wrong would have a different setup well that what I;m thinking anyways.

user posted image

The 4.9L chip is different from the 4.6L.

I had a fastchip on my 92 STS w/4.9L but did not get acceleration data from the g-tech pro til after. I was happy with progress on the car overall, since it got down to 7.5s 0-60 mph.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I may be buying a fast chip but I need to know how much H.P it will give me, Will it be enough to lower my 0-60 time and Qtr. mile time? If so by how much?????? Please report back as soon as possible if anyone knows this...

The chip will most likely not change your performance much. See my response to your question in the other thread. Most noticeable difference will be the removal of the speed limiter. For your money, a set of Dynomax mufflers will be more cost-effective.

A chip is great on a turbocharged engine with a computer-controlled wastegate, because the tuning of the chip can actually affect the airflow through the engine. But on a naturally-aspirated engine like this, there's only so much you can do with spark and fuel. The factory runs the fuel curves a bit rich at WOT to protect the pistons. A chip will lean it out, and get more power, at the risk of engine damage. Search the archives and check out the posts from Bbobynski. Lots of info, both on the current board and in the archives of the old board (accessible via caddyinfo.com).

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Take it from your ol' Uncle Dasher - neither one of you kids need a fast chip!

One accident and your insurance will go so high you'll have to sell the car to pay the insurance!

Take it from your ol' Uncle Dasher - neither one of you kids need a fast chip!

One accident and your insurance will go so high you'll have to sell the car to pay the insurance!

Why? Are they illegel? Or do you mean just because the fact that I got in an accident cause i'm takeing that risk everytime I get behind the wheel of a car with the power of an STS.....

user posted image

Thanks for all the help guys I think I'll just get some extra power through my exaust and maybe an airbox thanks for the help you've made up my mind.

user posted image

I mean that having a fast chip will simply increase your temptation to speed (why have it if you're not going to use it?) and you don't need any incentives I'll bet.

Been there, done that.

Uncle Dasher

Unc Dasher is right on and...

Assume you might get in an accident (right... no way to imagine any such thing at only 16-17 years old). ;)

A sharp Attorney with a sniff for deep pockets (perhaps your folk's some how) will seek out those kind of vehicle modifications as "discoverables" to support a case against you - no matter your fault.

To repeat: Fastchips, NOs systems, other bolt-on go-fast stuff and of course the famous "installed, last-ten-second flight recorder" are all potential discoverables - that make a strong case for at-fault, reckless driving, etc.

Might not be fair from our point of view - but a real possibility anyway. :(

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I can remember when I first started driving at 15. By the time I was seventeen I had 12 or 13 speeding tickets and my folks were paying through the nose for insurance. I think back and the amount of liablity you can be exposed to from a younger driver behind the wheel of a car with 300 horses scares me.

sebring06RTP.jpg

Good point but I haven't been caught for speeding yet! If I do then I'll tone it down some.

user posted image

I dont think there is a law against accelerating fast! I dont need to break the speed limit, I just need to feel like i am! I should at least have some fun when driving my car otherwise I would have just bought a Toyota Echo. LOL. I am young and I dont think anything you say can change my mind, but you are welcome to try! Thanks...

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Sorry Yenko and Cadillac Caddy STS - I goofed. If I was going to presume to give you cautionary advice, I should have really gone for it.

Speeding tickets are the least of your troubles. What if you get in an accident, kill your passenger or someone you hit or yourself or what if you end up paralyzed for life?????

There'll be no second chances then and it will be too late to slow down.

I'm getting a real kick out of you "Kids with Kaddys" (see my post on teenagers and Cadillacs) but I'd be sick if something happened to any of you while you're enjoying them.

So enjoy your Cadillacs just as the rest of us do; but try to tone down some of that natural teenage exuberance when you're behind the wheel.

As I said earlier, you don't need a chip.

Ol' Unca Dasher

P.S. I'm not stupid. I also know its natural for teenagers to not listen to this kind of advice; but I'll feel better for having tried.

I dont think there is a law against accelerating fast! I dont need to break the speed limit, I just need to feel like i am! I should at least have some fun when driving my car otherwise I would have just bought a Toyota Echo. LOL. I am young and I dont think anything you say can change my mind, but you are welcome to try! Thanks...

Actually down here in the U.S. they can ticket you for "exhibition of speed"...an example would be, screeching away from a stop light.

Charles

Charles

You are all wise in your efforts to educate the young folk. The unfortunate thing is that young folk tend to fall into the victim category before they actually 'hear' what it is that those of us who have been there are trying to tell them.

Yes, the accident threat... the tickets and police harassment are all pages many of us have turned by now but our young enthusiat said "he" wasn't going to change anyway... sad, save your money kid.

I find it amusing that when all the others are driving non-descript grocery-getters that they feel they need to add noise, fenders and NOS to get noticed... our young friend is DRIVING A CADILLAC!!! I should think that causes attention when it's sitting in a parking lot outside the local McDonald's... only the jealous ones will accuse you of driving "daddy's car"... 'til they see you in it all the time... oh ya, that is until you lose your licence or wrap it around a pole during a fast acceleration.

Good luck with your learning experiences,

Mike P

Well, I'm sure this has gotten much heavier than anybody intended. These will be my last words on the subject and they aren't even mine:

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it

-- Omar Khayyam

What can I say? I dont think the same as you felles? Oh and I am not taking suggestions on how to drive my car! If I drive it slow or if i drive it fast no matter which way you look at it it is my car and my life. No offense to anyone; I do however appriciate that you are trying to convince me not to drive like an idiot. Not saying that I do. I dont drive fast very often, only when I feel like it. I have been driving like that for almost a year now and I havent lost my license or wraped my car around a telephone pole. And if I do thats when I will admit you guys were right.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Well I didn't buy an STS only for it's looks its also got a 300 horsepower Northstar engine. If we don't show it's potencial power we get made fun of for driving an old mans car, no offence guys lol.

But theres something about haveing a huge car that can burn rubber and fly down the road, but this can be done while being careful, I have never done over 80 MPH with someone else in the car I show off my fast driving when theres a buddy or a ricer or someone like that on my tail I'll floor it till about 120 MPH just to show them what there messing with, then at least the only life I;m jeperdising is myself!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats the point to buying a Cadillac STS if i'm not going to use the power? I should have just bought a BMW 3 series that looks cool but is pretty much powerless compared to an STS, I love my car the way it looks the pure under the hood and I just feel the need to open er up once and a while theres nothing wrong with that at all if you ask me. If you guys don't like the way I want to drive thats fine but I'm not gonna stop I am careful, I just don't drive like my grandfather drives his 99 DeVille.

user posted image

I totally agree with you on that one! I didn't buy an STS just for the leather seats and the luxury options. I also bought it for the Northstar and the power. I want to squeeze every bit of hp I can out of that engine, within my budget. To me that makes sense.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I want to squeeze every bit of hp I can out of that engine, within my budget. To me that makes sense.

Sure, we all do. The point is, a chip isn't the way to do it. You'll see more gains increasing airflow into and out of the engine. Intake and mufflers together will give you an honest 10-15 horsepower. A chip won't be able to match that at all.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Ed Wright/FastChip burned me a custom chip for my 1994 Eldorado (270hp Northstar). I was a faster-driver back then and bumped the speed limiter alot. I think it was 108 mph on that car and it bugged me. I don't recall the chip being particularly expensive. Anyway, got the chip and I felt it really woke-up the car right when I put it in. I did run that car at the track with the chip. 14.9 in the 1/4 mile. I was pleased.

~Doc

post-3-1104625555.jpg

Archived