CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

I just inherited this 05 Deviile in July.It spent its entire time down in the tampa /naples area. Its now in St Louis and we just had a cold snap and the car dosn't have heat, the blower works fine.My gut feeling is the heater core is clogged or gummed up due to non use.Any remedy besides replacing the heater core?

It's probably a stuck temperature control door. I believe that you can run the OBD codes on a 2005 model. Run the codes and post them here and if it's one of the control flaps in the heater and A/C there will be a code that tells the tale.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I'd check the coolant level too. I've seen a lot of cars with no heat due to not enough coolant to circulate through the heater core.

Uh, oh.

B0419 Air Mix Door #2 Range Error
B0429 Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

Two of the doors malfunctioning probably means that you have a vacuum leak or a hose off a fitting.

This does not mean that you shouldn't check the coolant, too.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

No vacuum operated actuators in the '05 Deville- they're all electric.

The rear circuit is not what is causing the no-heat issue but the #2 mixer may be part of it with the tri-zone system.

Try running the temperature setting to 90°, waiting for 45 seconds, then turning it to 60°, wait for 45 seconds, then repeat and see if you have heat from the outlets.

The coolant flows through the heater core continuously so the fact the car was in Florida wouldn't have much to do with the problem. If the car sat for extended periods, that used to be a problem with the old green silicated coolant - it would gel in the heater core. I do not believe Dexcool has that issue.

If you can feel the heater hoses (or better yet use an IR thermometer) with the car warmed up and see if the inlet hose and outlet hoses are about the same temperature. If the outlet hose is cooler than the inlet hose, there is likely a restriction in the heater core and backflushing the core will probably restore the heat.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Lets hope it's not the heater core...

Dash has to come out to replace on the Deville. Core has very long tubes..both downhill...difficult to flush.

post-2-0-13959700-1444229259_thumb.jpg

The blend door would certainly prevent heat. Wouldn't let air flow over core. The range could be off because of door not attached to motor and so its over ranging with no resistance to stop at set point

Lets hope it's not the heater core...

Dash has to come out to replace on the Deville. Core has very long tubes..both downhill...difficult to flush.

Looks kinda like a band instrument with those pipes

Sorry I mentioned vacuum. I didn't take the time to go to the SI DVD. But KHE fixed that. Thank you KHE.

Thanks , you guys are great, Love this site. This site makes me comfortable in owning a Cadillac, My father loved this caddy and I intend to own his car for a long time

I'm a newer member here and agree with 100%. I've got a help when my 1st post was a question. Since then I've tried to help and show the same kindness I received.

Yeah, that's how I got started, too. Came for help, stayed to help.

Archived