CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Reward offered for 1930 Cadillac V16 Roadster stolen in Redlands

Thieves may be seriously disappointed if they try to sell a swiped classic car. The rare Cadillac Roadster was stolen in Redlands. There's a reward for its return.

There are fewer than 20 of these beauties left on the road today, which is why the restored 1930 Cadillac V16 Roadster is estimated to be worth 3/4 of a million dollars. On Wednesday, it was stolen from Nicks Old Car Specialty.

"A trailer we had parked outside waiting for the client to come get his car, and the car was in it was gone," said Harry Nicks.

http://abc7.com/news/reward-offered-for-classic-car-stolen-in-redlands/1012806/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Wow the balls some people have. That's not a car you can park and it blends in with the crowd. They must have either targeted that car and waited for right time or just happened to come across it dumb luck. Either way I hope someone catches them and teaches a lesson to them the hard way before police show up.

Winterset is offering a really hot deal (not post #1 in this thread).

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

For sale:

1930 Cadillac v16 roadster. Must sell quick. Cash only.

I'm currently traveling out of the country. I can send a money order to you. Please cash money order and I've included $12000 extra for shipping. Pay the shipper $2000 please and wire me $5000. Keep the other $5000 for your trouble . Thank .

PS if you want to send me the extra $5000 I have a friend who won the lottery in Congo and will split it with you for the $5000. Just wire him the money 1st. But not until you ship the car to me.

The thieves will get caught when they go in for service and the dealer checks the VIN.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Wouldn't it be fun to take a 1930's era car to the dealer for a recall check? That'd probably puzzle the service advisor on a vin less than 17 numbers.

The first year for 13-digit VIN numbers is the 1968 model year, the same year that they were first put on the dashboard and made visible through the windshield. Very few people below retirement age remember those VINs.

The 1930 V16 did not use a VIN. The engine numbers were 700001 through 703251.

I'm only 41, but I've had to deal with 1970 bins with 13 digits . I think from 1981 a and up has been 17.

So someone could take this 1930 and change the engine and paint and have a clean car. Wow seems too easy. But easy normally means prison.

The 1930 Cadillac V16 has an engine number that is unique, and for 1930 it was as good as a VIN. If a 1930 Cadillac shows up with a defaced engine number, no one will allow it in a show or buy it. Since these magnificent cars are all in collector databases, the car can quickly be identified by elimination: which known survivng car does not have a known location - that one is the one with the missing engine number! One might claim that is is one of the unknown survivors, or there might be more than one out-of-sight known survivor, but the only reason to deface an engine number is fraud or to obfuscate a theft.

I was figuring a con artist thief would just swap engines. But then again I'm sure gm performance is out of v16 engine . And probably not real common to find engine for sale.

There were 3250 of those engines made which seems like a lot for a classic, but 85 years later all of the surviving ones are accounted for somewhere. The identity of the car goes with the engine and its engine number. Swapping the engine is something you do when you have two cars and want to make one car out of them.

Archived