CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Turn signal/hazard flasher

Golfer

Hi guys, I have a weird problem with my 03 STS. I have just replaced the turn signal/hazard unit in the dashboard, because the left turn signal would sometimes work, you could hear the unit clicking but the arrows on the display would not light up, also the left turn signal lights would not work either. The right turn signal worked fine as did the 4 way flashers. I assumed it was the flasher unit so I replaced it with an AC Delco original unit.

After installing the new unit, now I have a different problem. When I turn on the left signal the 4 way flashers turn on. The right turn seems to be OK. If I turn off the engine and leave the ignition on, the indicators work fine, left right and 4 way.

As soon as the engine is running and I turn on the left turn signal, the 4 way flashers come on. Do you think there may be a problem with the turn indicator lever. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ron

Was the part you replaced a relay? Is it possible to have put it in wrong, or received the wrong part, etc?

On my project car the relays could be inserted in 4 orientations with amusingly confusing results. Only when I studied the circuit and diagrams on the part did I get it sorted.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Thanks for the reply. The module is a combination hazard and turn signal combo. Sits in the middle of the dash.

The part I installed was A genuine AC Delco part #25635327. There is only one way to plug in the harness.

Its funny how it works when the engine is not running. All bulbs are OK.

With engine off and signal on can you verify from outside the STS all 4 turn indicator bulbs are coming on? Sometimes the indicator circuit will behave oddly if one or more bulbs out.

Since behavior changes I guess you have a short between signal control and emergency flasher control. On my STS-V the emergency flasher button is on center console is that where your is, or on steering column?

Bruce

Hi again, with the engine off everything seems to work OK. Left turn lights flash with left turn on, right turn lights flash with right turn on.

With engine running, left turn signal turns on all turn lights (left and right.) All bulbs flashing on and off. Weird.

My emergency flasher is in the center of the console between the ac vent control wheels.

i suppose it is possible the new part is defective. It is the intersection for the signals and hazards right?

It didn't do this before new part right?

Can you reinstall old part and validate doesn't do this?

A low probability thing to try would be disconnect battery 30 sec and reconnect in case system has built up potential or poor ground to try to reset. i don't expect that to work but would try to eliminate.

Bruce

From what I see from other cars when people see what you are seeing (and they do!) they replace the hazard module, which I think is the part you just replaced

Bruce

Actually the reason I replaced the unit was because the left turn signal was very intermittent to not working at all. You could hear it clicking on and off but the left turn lights were not coming on all the time. Sometimes they would come on sometimes they wouldn't. I did disconnect the battery for a while but that didn't help either. I also do not have the old unit as I threw it away once I had the new one.

I am thinking it might be the turn signal lever, but I don't want to get into that. It can become very expensive buying replacement parts and not knowing if that is the problem.

According to the FSM the module is in the hazard switch assembly. The turn switch is just a switch. I would look at the connector and wiring to the hazard warning switch. All the turn signal lamps hook to it, and that is where the logic, blink timing, etc. is done.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Carrying on with this topic, I have come to the conclusion the ignition switch could be the problem. My last STS had to have the ignition switch replaced. I have got all the screws out that hold the switch in, but just cannot get it out of the dash. The air supply ducting behind the switch does not give me enough room to get it out. Anybody know how to remove it?

Thanks

Archived