CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Clearcoat pealing?

The proper way to repair is to sand off the existing clearcoat and the basecoat down to the primer, then re-apply the basecoat, blending into adjacent panels, then apply the clear. At least $800.00 from a decent body shop if only the hood and tops of the fenders need to be redone. How is the rest of the car's finish?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Looks like the whole car got this to some extent -- left rear, right rear, some on left front. I suppose could just be a bad application at the factory but I wondered if the car got splashed by something caustic?

$_57.JPG

Even the front emblem looks involved.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Looks more like the car spent its entire life in the hot sun suffering from uv ray damage. The plastic even turned funky. That does not look like a 2008 car but more like a 1988 car when clear coat formulation changed and many cars looked like they had a skunk stripe.

Certain trees will do that if you park under them regularly. I believe that Willows are an example. The owner may have one throwing shade on his driveway. This kind of thing is another reason that you should garage your car if you can.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

A sad looking car. Someone didn't take care of it. How do you put a car on ebay for sale and not put the center caps on the wheels or even clean the brake dust off?

Some people put a car on eBay or Craiglist because they don't want to deal with it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If it is the whole car - figure $2000 - $2500 for a compete repaint. Unless you get an awesome deal, I'd pass on that one.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived