CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Am I crazy to buy another Eldorado?

My name is David. I used to own a beautiful 1999 Eldorado, black on black, but no matter how much I loved the car, it was too far gone when I got her and she never loved me back. After dealing with the dreaded blown head gasket for as long as .... well..... a while, I reluctantly posted it in the local classifieds and sold it for $1,500.

Before selling the 99, I purchased a 1993 Eldorado with the 4.9L V8, not the Northstar. The car is in pretty rough shape, but runs strong. starts first time, everytime and no overheating!. problem is.... it is not really the car I want. I really love the 96-02 Eldo's. Always have, always will.

Driving home from work last week, what do I spot? a 2001 Eldorado in Diamond Pearl. only 88,000 miles. engine bay looks clean enough to eat off of. rest of the car is straight and rust free. Test drove it today. it was 95 degrees outside. ran the AC, drove around for quite awhile, stopped in a parking lot and let it idle to check to see if the temperature would creep up, but never did. Seems ok at the moment.

Here is the question. After dealing with all of the headache of a blown head gasket in my 99, am I crazy to even be looking at the 01?

any advice or shared experience would be tremendous. I am thinking of taking it to the local Caddy dealership to do a compression test, but I am not sure if that would guarantee me anything. HELP!!!!

thanks again!

David

Forget about a compression test. Have the cooling system checked for combustion gasses to see if the headgaskets are intact.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I just picked up an 02' ETC for 600$, but I can fix them for free. Expect the worse always .

barcrzy01, thanks for the reply!

how much do you charge to do the head bolt/gasket repair on a Y code 2001 Northstar?

If this question is not appropriate for this forum, I apologize. Just trying to get a handle on potential expenses.

thanks again!

1800$ But ever patient is different. I would buy a radiator on ebay and put in the trunk for the repair. 85$ shipp is a great price and parts are so cheap for these cars is silly NOT to fix them. Have you seen used car prices?

Thanks for the posts. Emergency follow up question!

Just dropped the car off at the local Rick Hendrick Cadillac Service Dept and the service manager says "how would I check for combustion gases in the coolant system"?

I am paying $100 for a "27 point inspection" and they are doing the work tomorrow. What do I specifically need to ask this guy to do?

The results STRONGLY influence if I buy the car or not.

again, thanks for any input.

Thanks for the posts. Emergency follow up question!

Just dropped the car off at the local Rick Hendrick Cadillac Service Dept and the service manager says "how would I check for combustion gases in the coolant system"?

I am paying $100 for a "27 point inspection" and they are doing the work tomorrow. What do I specifically need to ask this guy to do?

The results STRONGLY influence if I buy the car or not.

again, thanks for any input.

The service manager doesn't know how to test the coolant for combustion gasses??? WOW....

Go to Autozone, buy the test fluid and "rent" the tester and test it yourself. Yyou get the rental back when you return the tester. Testing the coolant for combustion gasses will tell you if the head gaskets are good or bad. It is the SINGLE most important thing you can check on a Northstar engine.

The second most important thing is to run the diagnostic codes and if you see a PC 0741 code - that is a $1200.00 transmission repair job.

Those two items are the only things that would make me walk on a deal. The 27 point inspection plan is mostly brakes, suspension items, tire wear, wiper arms, brakes, etc. - really all minor things compared to a headgasket job or a torque converter replacement.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I feel the same way you do. Unfortunately every eldo I have bought has has issues. I currently have a 2001 pearl white. Had countless issues when I bought it last year.

I am down to 2.

I have never had a cadillac use as much oil as the 2001. I have heard this is common from several people with the 2000-2002 model year.

I love the body style of the 96-02 more than anything.

I would try it and if you dont like it resell it.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Have you tried "motor honey" for the oil consumption issue? I know it stopped my oil pressure light flicker after coming from high RPM to idle issue. It's supposed to help with oil consumption also. Sorry, but on cars older than 10 years, i believe in only 2 motor oil additives and distillates, and 2 gasoline additatives.

I run 15-40 Diesel oil in my 02' Deville in late Spring-early Fall. Cuts oil consumption down to nothing. Just put 2200 miles of hard 85-100 mph driving on this car and burned at most a quart.

Update:

Took the 01 Eldorado to the local Rick Hendrick Cadillac and when they attempted to pressure test it, discovered a blown radiator.

Also found a severe oil leak in upper and lower crank gaskets. estimated total repair at $4800.

I walked away from the deal and am now exploring options on restoring my 93 Eldo to its former glory.

thanks for all of the info everyone!

much appreciated.

Archived