CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Convertible Cadillacs

This 69 Deville Convertible is in the year range I have been watching for:

01616_2u85TR4qx2d_600x450.jpg

I don't think the black paint with white top looks good on this example, although could be just the pics.

00101_iuIxGmik6uP_600x450.jpg

Ad: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5045543801.html

00I0I_iaN698DsHZa_600x450.jpg

Ad: http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5037843057.html

I am split between an antique like this range and a 07+ XLR. Which one would you prefer?

01.jpg

The Allantes are down a bit lower again too; this 93 for $12K is quite handsome.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/613414489/overview/

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

XLR, my favorite (of those listed). And on the '69; white top complements the white interior IMO.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

For a weekend car, the XLR would likely be more expensive going in, say $28-30K but less maintenance.

The 68-70 Deville would cost a bit less, although the 74-76 Seville Convertibles are found more frequently and are perhaps even less. In this range as an antique a bit more invested up front can save a LOT in restoration.

The lure to the Allante is the low cost of entry, but these can have high maintenance cost.

Bruce

I like the black and white combo in general, but this one doesn't look smooth in that pic. As far as which car, obviously I will be biased. There is no comparison between a hard top convertible and a soft top. The hard top is quiet and I would guess never leak water (mine doesn't) and the soft top is the opposite. If it is to be a daily driver or even semi regular driver, that top is going to be up a lot, especially in texas! If you haven't drove both, DONT buy one without driving both, with the top up, in the rain would be a true test too. I am sure most soft tops don't leak when new (how would they sell them), but age, not miles will cause wind and water leaks. My guess would be most people don't repair those because of cost and the fact that 97 out of 100 days its not raining, but the wind noise is always there at 50+mph. Bruce if you do drive an xlr you really need to try a v also, after having your sts, I think you may be disappointed in the base. One more thing about the xlr-you may not be after wow factor at all, but you will get more attention and get to talk about it to more people than probably any car outside a true exotic sports car. I bet 5-1 over any vette. If the car is nothing but a weekend car some of the previous comments would have less impact. A negative about the xlr, your wife/passenger can't lay the seat back for a trip. The trunk space is thought to be small, however if you are traveling and taking luggage the top will likely be up and then the space is fine. Not often you will want to drive more than an hour on the highway with the top down, particularly women and their hair. :wipetears

I think that the Allante is one of the best looking cars ever made, but people never quit driving them and the supply of spare parts became a desert long ago. I would look at the chatter in online communities before I joined them.

The 1969 is a great year for the car and you should have no serious issues with maintenance. Black is a good color but it must be spotless and shiny to look its best; the photos were on a cloudy day and the car could have used a polish job first.

The 2007 XLR is less than 10 years old; it's a great investment as a future classic. Garage it, keep it pristine, and it might pay for your retirement.

All of these are great cars. Just have a plan to keep them in great condition before you commit.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Strangely Photoshopped to lean the grille forward. I have never seen a floor that people walk on that is so shiny that you can see clear reflections in it. The quad headlights are vertical; the 1969 used a horizontal layout. Here's a real 1969 Deville from an enthusiast site:

DSCN1836.JPG

Here's a 1968 Deville convertible. Note that the grille looks more like this one, and the headlights are laid out vertically:

68_DeVille-01.jpg

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I have pics of that red 68 from this morning and will post to the blog later today. It is an unusual color,

Bruce

Bruce

Sorry Jim, I Think You are wrong! Look again. ;)

It is said to be a .......... 1968! The floor is clear coated.

Yeah, I realized that after I posted, but I took the trouble to get the nice pictures, and I like them, so I let it stand. Clear-coated floor in an auto showroom??? That's sort of like a small-town lawyer with a $200 haircut, isn't it?

The "Photoshop" appears to be the use of a wide-angle lens and camera position close to the car, which will emphasize the tilt of the grille. Note that the rear of the car is small, showing the perspective that you get with a wide-angle lens close to the car.

I love the red one in the blog photos. The white one (1964 model?) has a more elegant look, but you just *have* to love the red one.

My current thinking is a 07-09 XLR for a weekend cruiser, and separately, replace my STS-V in time with a CTS VSport Premium as a daily driver.

The XLR would get low miles and the garage spot, so could last a nice long time. The VSport is a tight comparison with an ATS Coupe Premium but the VSport has more features and the turbo V6.

Bruce

How long a car lasts is more a function of its care than the miles. The care includes avoiding roads that abuse your car, not allowing food or uncovered drinks in the car, particularly while moving, oil changes, garaging the car, and one thing that you can't control: availability of quality parts. This last may dictate keeping down driven miles for the lean decade, when a car is between 15 and 25 years old.

One thing that is hard on cars that people usually don't think about is parking it outside in the heat all day, say when working or shopping. That's hard on paint, rubber and neoprene in the interior as well as under the hood, the battery, etc.

A man just posted on facebook today that his xlr just truned 250,000 miles!!! Mine just turned in the 30's lol. I think its his business car. I think I should try to get ahold of him and question what things have had to be repaired.

Bruce did you ever drive that V? The week is almost up you know. You gotta turn in your homework. If an xlr does follow you home you should know they, as well as vette's, don't do well with sitting much over 2 weeks without being driven. They like to discharge the battery. Which reminds me mine needs some exercise soon.

Archived