CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Overheating

exchief

I have a 2000 Cadillac SLS with a overheating problem. Changed water pump, radiator cap, thermostat, checked purge line fluid flowing. When it starts to overheat if I rive the engine the gauge goes back to normal, then starts to rise again. Secondly, the battery light comes on when I'm at idle for a period of time. Third, the blower for the heater sometimes does not turn on unless I kick the lower panel on the passenger side on the car. Any suggestions on my problem ?

How many miles are on the car? Might be worth your money to do a combustion leak test to confirm if its a head gasket or not. The other problems might be an alternator and a blower motor and or connector.

Why did you change the waterpump?

Check the connection to the blower motor - the plug may have overheated and is not making good contact with the motor contacts.

The serpentime belt may be slipping on the tensioner - check the tensioner to make sure it is putting the proper amount of tension on the belt.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

With a 2002 SLS, you can check the OBD codes yourself using the A/C buttons and the message display. Any problem involving an electrical system, such as bad cooing fan relays, will throw an OBD code. See the link in my signature block for a Caddyinfo page on how run the codes for your car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Ditto on the combustion test on the surge tank. Also, on a cold start, check if the hoses get really hard quick when the Car is still cold, or stick the overflow hose from the surge cap into a jar of water, and see if alot of air bubbles blow out - especially on giving the engine some rpm's.

KHE

I changed the water pump a last summer because it seized up and burnt the belt, idler pulley and the pulley on the engine shaft that runs the pump.

Got it - there are so many people who have an overheating Northstar and they change the water pump in an attempt to cure the overheating problem which NEVER does as a water pump either works or it doesn't. A leaking water pump still pumps coolant.

Time to do a combustion gas teat on the coolant. If the headgaskets are shot, it's not the end of the world and can be repaired - very reasonably if you do the work yourself. I put a transmission into a '97 STS a year ago because my wife loves the car and it was cheaper than finding something newer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There is a friend of mine out East in your area that has been doing these jobs for years and is still currently at a Cadillac Dealer. I suggest you call him, he is a good guy and very fair. Jim 610-529-1346

Archived