CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Center Console Illumination

Rich

I searched the forums but came up empty. Was driving my 97 Eldorado last night and glanced down to notice that the shift quadrant in the center console wasn't illuminated. I did have the quadrant in the dash (between speedometer and tachometer) to reference but the console was not lit. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure that it should be lit. Does anyone know for certain? If it should be lit, is it by a simple bulb that can be easily replaced? More importantly, how difficult is it to access? Something simple, or does the whole console need to be removed? Just wondering whether this is something that I can do or have done for a reasonable fee. Thanks all.

I don't believe that the shift indicator on the console is lit. I'll check the FSM if you want to be really sure.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Thanks Jim. What does FSM stand for? Hopefully, someone else with an Eldorado will advise as to whether or not their console shift quadrant is illuminated.

Do you have the plastic shift console or the plastic one?

Basically

ETC got the zebrano wood ashtray cover and shift console

ESC or base eldo got charcoal grey plastic.

If it has the wood one it is very delicate and you must be very careful when removing it.

Underneath of the shift console is a plug and it controls the 2 shift indicator lamps, the bulbs are replaceable, One likely burnt out, then over time the other did.

Other possibility is that the unit is not plugged in.

If you need help in removing the shift console I will post some pics of the bottom of it so you get an idea of where the clips are located

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

I have the ETC with the Zebrano wood trim on the console. So the plate is removed by simply prying it off? From which end should I attempt to remove it? I imagine that pics would be helpful, but I just called the Cadillac dealer to check if they had the bulbs in stock or if I would need to order them. After being placed on hold, I was told that they don't show any bulbs in the console. They list only a shift indicator/dial GM Part #25656277 which is no longer available. Now having the part number, I've been checking the obvious places online for a used unit with no luck. Searching online for bulbs, I found threads indicating that while aftermarket bulbs might fit, they will burn out quickly and will burn hot possibly causing melting of the indicator itself. Not sure where to go from here.

I will try to post a few pics of the console tomorrow. I have several.

I want to know if the actual gear indicator lights are working. By which I mean the orange indicator next to the indicator. I almost think those are led. Which would support my not plugged in theory.

there is a plug under the indicator console that plugs into the blue part next to the shifter.

If both bulbs are out and the indicator markers are out then I would check the plug.

The panel is very carefully removed by prying up at the side where the cupholders are, you must carefully pop it up evenly and work toward the ashtray.

2 of the clips snap into the lower portion of the ashtray assembly.

GM FAN FOREVER

I see the orange indicators you're talking about just to the right of the PRNDL indicator. These indicators are illuminated, though not on initial engine start. They remain dark until the shifter is moved out of park, then all orange indicators remain lit, but the PRNDL indicator remains unlit. I assume this means that the plug is connected and the bulbs for the PRNDL indicator are burned out. Looks like I'm s__t out of luck, right?

so I have this right, the letters arent lighting up?

Then you need bulbs. When you remove the console take one of the bulbs to your local parts house and get a pack of them. I forget the number. You may have to swap the little rubber tip onto the new bulb if the old ones have them.

I also forgot to mention, to remove the shift lever there is a staple on the front side (dash side) It is just below the button, use a small flat tip screwdriver and it slides out. then the handle pulls up and off.

Pay attention to how the staple comes out as it must be reinstalled the same way it was removed.

Also I put the shifter in neutral when I go to pull the console off

GM FAN FOREVER

The FSM is the Factory Shop Manual, which I should have referred to before I posted.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

I read somewhere yesterday online that the bulbs aren't readily available. The bulbs widely available at the auto parts stores might fit in the sockets but will burn out quickly and burn too hot and will burn or discolor the PRNDL indicator plate. Something to do with different wattage than the original bulbs. I've been trying to find the link to post it here but can't find it now. The thread mentioned some special purpose bulb that are used on Freightliner trucks and were available from Freightliner dealers back in 2011 I believe as that was the date of the thread I'm referring to. As I recall, the poster said the bulbs were available but only in bulk. Will keep searching.

The 1997 FSM seems to show the console PRNDL light on page 8A-117-8, inside a dotted box labeled "Electronic PRNDL" which includes the LED PRNDL light on the dashboard between the speedometer and tach. If so, this is a single bulb with a GRY wire. The LED runs under 16 Volts dimmed power.

There are seven LEDs that are controlled by the IPC labeled "Electronic PRNDL" on page 8A-82-1, powered by 12 Volts with separate dimming just for the PRNDL lights; there are only four PRNDL light controls from the IPC. These are the lights that show the individual gears on the instrument panel.

I don't see any information on the bulb identification or bulb power.

I had problems with the running lights on my Eldorado because filling stations would use whatever bulb looked like the one burnt out and would put in one that was too bright (and hot). I did my own bulb maintenance after I noticed that.

I have found that Sylvania and others have comprehensive crossovers for nearly all bulbs in the car. When in doubt, read anything you can find on the old bulb with a magnifier.

I've run into problems with "non-replaceable" bulbs in the IPC and such here on Caddyinfo, but not on my car; we found solderable "grain-of-wheat" bulbs bulk online, but the price was a dollar or two for 50 or some such and that was not a problem.

Thanks Jim. I'll have to see where I go from here. My car is in the driveway and we have a blizzard on the way followed by Arctic cold. Looks like I won't be doing anything about this problem in the immediate future. Thank you all for your advice as always. Stay warm.

I'm not sure what the original poster's issue is but the entire dash should be backlit and the gear indicator should be lit in an amber tone.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

he is referring to the shift bezel in the center console, on console shift models.

It has both the indicators in the IPC and in the bezel

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived