CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

air/heat systems maintenance (1990 cadillac fleetwood)

Tim Bevan

i am getting almost no heat from my 1990 cadillac fleetwood. it will blow hot air threw my window/defrost vent. and for the dash vent i feel no hot air, i can't even tell if its blowing air. soon i will change the thermostat and flush my heater core. but for the no air flow issue i was thinking it could be a "cabin air filter". i am currently trying to find research for where this is located. and if that is in fact what it is called. i will go deeper into diagnostics if needed.

* just found out that there is no air cabin filter in a 1990 cadillac fleetwood. possibile causes bad actuator, broken vent door... how does this sound to you guys?

Air mix door actuator arm could snap off. I am afraid only visual inspection can help.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

i thought of the door actuator too tomorrow im hoping to take out the dash and check, i hope that part isn't hard to get. and i had just recently got the so so no repairs yet. but what would a poor installation of the tee cause?

you are correct. No cabin filter in that era.

I would say actuator also.

Just humor me and try this trick.

Unhook your battery. After a minute or so hook it back up.

Turn key to on but dont start.

leave key on for 1 minute (dont touch anything during this time)

After minute is up, recycle key and try everything.

It has worked many times with a out of time actuator issue.

Can someone tell me if the car in question has the vacumn modulated setup for the actuators? Dont think so but not completely sure

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Also try running the climate control down to 60°, wait for a minute, then run it to 90°, wait and repeat. This may fix the problem if it is an actuator issue.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

i thought of the door actuator too tomorrow im hoping to take out the dash and check, i hope that part isn't hard to get. and i had just recently got the so so no repairs yet. but what would a poor installation of the tee cause?

The tee is direction-sensitive. There must be an arrow. Nevertheless, I think air mix door is your problem.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have tried to unhook batt, sit 1min, turn on acc, sit 1 min, recycle key check heat. for the first maybe 3 seconds it blew out of the interior vent the went back to no air flow. i also tried to run on the opposite climates for a little while on coldest/ hottest. did not succeed to move the air mix door. i was looking at other systems that are faulty in my car so i was unable to remove the dash, if the air mix door is broken 1- are doors mostly universal, or will it be a difficult part to find? 2- in most cases the door itself is broken, could i refurbish the door itself?

To do what I mentioned you

hook up battery

turn key forward to ON position.

Dont touch anything for 1 minute

that should cycle all of the actuators in the HVAC and relearn the positions.

If anything is touched within the minute the action is cancelled and nothing happens.

This Is to the best of my knowledge. It has been awhile

GM FAN FOREVER

isnt the a acc position back one. Ie. acc, off, run, start?

Anyway after you hook the battery back up you turn the key to RUN and leave for 1 minute

GM FAN FOREVER

I probably should have done some checking before writing that. Mine is not, but I have a car that is. I guess it depends on the car, and that being a 1990 is probably correct rockfangd

Archived