CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

did my transmission go out? '02 Deville DHS

I love my Cadillac, but this last winter, it broke down on me. I was driving it when it was at least -10 degrees here in Iowa:/ As I was turning the corner, it suddenly became difficult to turn. I pulled off to side and it wasn't wanting to move forward; however, it would go in reverse just fine. I had it towed home and the next day I noticed a fluid had leaked out - it was brown/dark red in color.

I would love to fix my Caddy up, but I'm afraid the cost will be as much (if not more!) than what I paid for it years ago. Any ideas on what the problem could be??? Thanks in advance! :)

:welcomesmiley:

There isn't much information for a diagnosis here. One thing that will probably help is if you run your OBD codes and post them here. Use the link in my signature block for directions in running your OBD codes.

You might take a closer look at the fluid that leaded out. Is it just a few drops under the left front? Is it oily? Does it smell like coolant? Also, look in the radiator surge tank and see if the coolant is milky.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I have had a couple of these transmissions implode. Sprags, snap rings near the foward clutch housing break and the transmission will just start to eat itself internally and spreading metal throughout. It's easier for me to get a used transmission from pull-a-part and go thru it and install it in your car. Where are you located?

Thanks Cadillac Jim! I will have to check the OBD codes & let you know... it's been so long ago I don't recall what it stated. As for the liquid, it wasn't coolant... it was dark brown with a red tint and it was thicker like oil - I'm thinking either oil or transmission fluid? From where the tow truck towed me, there was a trail of the liquid to my house, then a huge puddle of it ended up draining out to the edge of my driveway. I just realized.. a quick check I could do would be to check the oil and add some in to see if it spills out below... that would tell me more right there. I will do that and also check out the coolant to see if it looks normal.

I should also mention that I was having running issue before this happened - when I would stop at a light/stop sign, the car would chug on me and sometimes stall. I took it in to get fixed and was told it was the spark plugs..... got them fixed and was still having same troubles. It's been very difficult finding a reputable mechanic in the neighborhood :/

Thank you barczy01! I'm located in Iowa. I really would like to find out what's going on with it before I actually tow it to a place here in town... because the mechanics here tend to give me the run-around (small town - no Cadillac experts). But, how much would you estimate it would cost to get a used transmission and install it on my car? If that is the issue..

Thanks Cadillac Jim! I will have to check the OBD codes & let you know... it's been so long ago I don't recall what it stated. As for the liquid, it wasn't coolant... it was dark brown with a red tint and it was thicker like oil - I'm thinking either oil or transmission fluid? From where the tow truck towed me, there was a trail of the liquid to my house, then a huge puddle of it ended up draining out to the edge of my driveway. I just realized.. a quick check I could do would be to check the oil and add some in to see if it spills out below... that would tell me more right there. I will do that and also check out the coolant to see if it looks normal.

I should also mention that I was having running issue before this happened - when I would stop at a light/stop sign, the car would chug on me and sometimes stall. I took it in to get fixed and was told it was the spark plugs..... got them fixed and was still having same troubles. It's been very difficult finding a reputable mechanic in the neighborhood :/

If the car has the original crankshaft sensors that were made in Mexico, they are the prime suspects in the stalling issue.

Thank you barczy01! I'm located in Iowa. I really would like to find out what's going on with it before I actually tow it to a place here in town... because the mechanics here tend to give me the run-around (small town - no Cadillac experts). But, how much would you estimate it would cost to get a used transmission and install it on my car? If that is the issue..

I would think you could get a good used, low mileage trans. installed for $800-$1000 but you should make sure that is the issue.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I had a 02' Deville for head gaskets this Summer and on a road test it would idle low and stall once and a while. I did check and the car had the updated crank sensors. The throttle bore was clean and I did replace the plenum boot due to age and mileage. I ended up grabbing my tech 2 and doing a crankshaft variation relearn and it fixed the problem.

Blenvina: KHE is correct on getting a used transmission and that might be an option for you too!

On the fluid leak, I would check your power steering and or the High pressure line hose.

And, of course, check the transmission fluid.

The engine oil won't have a red tint.

You might check the oil and transmission cooler lines on the radiator tanks. I believe that the transmission cooler is on the left and the oil cooler is on the right. It's possible that you have damage to one of them that would explain the oil trail.

I've seen an oil trail from a parking lot that apparently resulted from the reinforcing bar that was used to stake the tire bumper in position. It had worked loose and was sticking up over a foot, and several cars had their fascia ripped by that thing. It apparently got an oil cooler line or some such on somebody's car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived