CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Hello all, I'll get right to the point of this thread. Everybody knows that head gaskets are prone to failure on the 96-2004 North*, would anybody here dish over 5k for a 99 Eldo with 29k miles and the coolant has never been changed? This sound like risky business to me. Even though the car has never seen winter, driven by a nice older gentleman, with a few bruises on all four corners from hitting the garage. Looking for your thoughts please, and thank you in advance.

I personally wouldn't give $5k for a 16 year old dented up Caddy but if I'm iffy on something, I hold out for a good deal or walk.

That said, if I got the seller to a price that I could work with, I'd have no problem buying it knowing the head gasket issues and plan on time-serting or studding it myself.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Clean retail is about $5000 for that car. The fact that it needs paint work would deduct from that amount since the car is not in clean retail shape.

As far as the engine goes, It wouldn't bother me but I would change the coolant ASAP.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thats a chunk of change that need body work too. I just picked up an 02' ETC 95K blown head gaskets ,741, real clean for 600$

Thank you for the replies men, I appreciate it. I agree with you all, he would not budge on the price, the coolant was low and dirty. I passed, too bad, it drove real nice.

The coolant may be dirty due to the GM sealant pellets. They will make even new coolant look dirty.

If the seller has your number and you're still interested in the car, just wait him out - he might come back with a counteroffer.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

If you want to come up with a value of what the car is currently worth, use the NADA average retail or the Kelly Blue Book value and deduct the cost of the repairs in order to obtain the true value of the car. You would need to offer below that figure or you will pay more assuming the owner counter offers.

A good paint job will easily be $2000+.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I would also bring up the head gasket issue in negotiations...But word your rebuttal well. If it were me, I'd ask if he's ever had the engine time-serted or studded. He'll likely look confused and just explain that these years the N* engine was designed with a head bolt thread flaw and that it will cost X amount to perform this maintenance.

If I were to buy it, one of the first things that I'd do would be to pull the heads and take care of it before a bead bolt pulled and blew the gasket while out on the road somewhere.

-Just my thoughts.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I would also bring up the head gasket issue in negotiations...But word your rebuttal well. If it were me, I'd ask if he's ever had the engine time-serted or studded. He'll likely look confused and just explain that these years the N* engine was designed with a head bolt thread flaw and that it will cost X amount to perform this maintenance.

If I were to buy it, one of the first things that I'd do would be to pull the heads and take care of it before a bead bolt pulled and blew the gasket while out on the road somewhere.

-Just my thoughts.

I would just test the coolant for combustion gasses. No owner would compensate to fix something that isn't broken. I'd just run it until it had an issue - they give plenty of warning.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

THis is just my opinion but I stick with my higher mileage cars. I have had great luck with all of my vehicles.

I stay away from very low mileage.

Reasons being

The lower the mileage the more it sat

Where did it sit is also a good question

Was it maintained during ownership.

Why did it sit?

My Deville had over 200k when I sold it

My truck has 180k

My eldo has 138k

My Seville had the lowest miles and funny thing is I have put the most money into it. Glad I got it for a reasonable price.

Good luck to you

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived