CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

'True classic' restoration results 'stunning'

622x350.jpg

For Robert Wheeless, of Houston, vintage rides are a regular part of life. From his own builds to repairing or restoring the beauties he has owned over the years, Wheeless is a car lover, through and through and has owned a variety of iconic vehicles (despite his very ironic surname).

Read more: http://www.chron.com/cars/article/True-classic-restoration-results-stunning-5534735.php#photo-6414196

622x350.jpg

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Yes, a truly beautiful car.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

56 was odd yr? Should have restored a 55 or 57 instead if it would have been easier to source parts

Why was 1956 an odd year? GM had all-new platforms for 1955, the year they went to 12 Volts and started showing serious thinking about weight and high-speed chassis dynamics. The years 1955-1957 showed few undercar changes in any platform. 1956 is the year that they went from 331 cubic inches to 365 cubic inches, which they kept for some time. Cadillac sold well in 1956, with 154,577 sold according to the Cadillac History pages.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Why was 1956 an odd year? GM had all-new platforms for 1955, the year they went to 12 Volts and started showing serious thinking about weight and high-speed chassis dynamics. The years 1955-1957 showed few undercar changes in any platform. 1956 is the year that they went from 331 cubic inches to 365 cubic inches, which they kept for some time. Cadillac sold well in 1956, with 154,577 sold according to the Cadillac History pages.

It sounds like he's accustomed to restoring Chevrolets, and in the case of old Cadillacs, locating parts may not be as simple as calling a single 1-800 number. BTW, Cadillac adopted a 12 volt electrical system for 1953.

It sounds like he's accustomed to restoring Chevrolets, and in the case of old Cadillacs, locating parts may not be as simple as calling a single 1-800 number. BTW, Cadillac adopted a 12 volt electrical system for 1953.

Actually, I wasn't making a point about who is ignorant or better informed or in fact anything; I was asking why 1956 is a bad year for parts. I don't see that question addressed here.

Sales over the years 1953 through 1958 were:

1953: 109.651

1954: 96,680

1955: 140,777

1956: 154,577

1957: 146,841

1958: 121,778

Since there were about as many Cadillacs put out there for the 1956 model year as the others, then why are the cars and parts rarer now? A lot of undercar and mechanical parts should be interchangeable between at least two of the three 1955-1956-1957 model years. I'm not experienced in restoring anything; I buy a car used or new and keep it in good shape and drive it as long as I can. I will say that my family did have a 1953 Packard and that I don't have hands-on experience with 1950's Cadillacs. If you have experience in getting parts for Cadillacs in these years you should have some insight as to why 1956 is a bad year for parts. Please share.

You're completely misinterpreting my response. The fact is that almost ANY year Cadillac would be "difficult" from his perspective, since he's used to working on Chevrolets! Up to around 1960, there were significant changes with each model year.

You're completely misinterpreting my response. The fact is that almost ANY year Cadillac would be "difficult" from his perspective, since he's used to working on Chevrolets! Up to around 1960, there were significant changes with each model year.

Your response was inappropriate, as is this remark, as it was about a member and not about Cadillacs or the point, i.e. why 1956 is a tougher model year than others of about the same age. Perhaps we could get back to Cadillacs?

Archived