CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

just bought first Cadillac 2001 Deville DTS 167,000 miles

I bought a 2001 Cadillac DTS and I noticed that when I'm driving and I hit a bump the wheel shakes really bad can anybody help me also I've noticed that I'm going to you about a quart of oil every 350 miles you see I noticed a small leak because I see it on the ground when I Drive away how much would it cost to get the tire monitor sensor fixed as well as the gas gauge

Check the tie rod ends and ball joints - jack the front of the car up and grab the tire at the 3:00 and 9:00 position and rock it back and forth. If you see any relative movement btween the tie rod end and the knuckle, the tie rod end is bad.

To check the ball joint, grab the tire at 12:00 and 6:00 and rock it while looking at the ball joint - any movement at the ball joint indicates the ball joint is bad.

If you can provide more detail on the what the symptoms are with the tire monitor system and the fuel gage, we can help you better. I'm assuming the fuel gage does not work at all - may be a bad sending unit.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Are you referring to the tire pressure sensors?

As far as the oil leak - you will need to clean the underside of the engine and then drive it for a day and then inspect the engine to see where the oil is leaking.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

for the gas gauge fill gas tank and get a bottle of chevron techron rated for 20 gallons and see if it clears up that problem.

As for the TPMS do you know which wheel is not showing? there is a valve stem sensor in each wheel. sometimes after having the battery disconnected for a length of time can unlearn them and they will need to be relearned.

As for the oil leak, will need to put down some newspaper or similair and that will help to give you an idea of what part of the engine bay it is coming from.

Welcome to Caddyinfo, you have come to the right place

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

As for the TPMS do you know which wheel is not showing? there is a valve stem sensor in each wheel. sometimes after having the battery disconnected for a length of time can unlearn them and they will need to be relearned.

I had the same thing happen to me when I brought my '05 Deville home from the storage facility - it sat all winter with the battery disconnected and when I connected the battery and started the engine, SERVICE TIRE MONITOR came up. When I got the ar home, I reset the system. All that is required is a strong magnet - turn the ignition to on, then press and hold the LOCK & UNLOCK buttons on the key fob until the horn chirps. The hold the magnet near the valve stem of the driver's front tire until the horn chirps. Repeat in this order: Passenger front, passenger rear and driver's rear. After the driver's rear is reset, the horn will chirp twice to indicate the system has been reset.

The magnet will work on GM vehicles through about the 2012 model year but after that, the Kent-Moore tool is required to reset the TPM system. Not sure why they changed that other than to make owner's buy the tool or take their vehicle in to have it reset. Many tire stores will do it free.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

A quart every 350 miles is major. If it doesn't smoke, it's a leak. Most leaks can be fixed by tightening the cam cover bolts or the oil pan bolts. It's best to have some idea where the leak is coming from before taking a wrench to an aluminum engine.

You may be able to tell more about the tire monitor and the gas gauge by running the OBD codes. With the key on, engine on or off, look at the A/C buttons. Press <Off> and <Pass Warmer> together for a few seconds until all the dash light come on like you just turned on the key, then release them both. All the OBD codes will be displayed as messages below the speedometer, one at a time. Write them down and post them here.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

For that vintage of Deville, ON/OFF and INFO UP are the buttons that enter diagnostics. I doubt any code would be set for the gas gage.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

For that vintage of Deville, ON/OFF and INFO UP are the buttons that enter diagnostics. I doubt any code would be set for the gas gage.

I should look at the links in my own signature more often. The buttons that you cite are given in a paragraph attributed to JimD for the 1998-2004 Seville and 2000-2005 Deville.

There may be something about the tire pressure monitoring in the DTCs but most gas gauge problems are sticking or dead sending units that don't throw a code, as KHE says. I would like to see the on-board diagnostics (OBD) device trouble codes (DTCs) for this car, though.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Thanks for posting the procedure. I know I have done it before but could not locate it at the time.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Thank you for all the replies I noticed that there are 2 squared boxes underneath the engine weather Bible what bigger than the other next to each other I believe that it is leaking from one of those bolts . I live in red oak Iowa really small town is near Omaha Nebraska can anybody recommend a recommend a mechanic near me let me know how much the believe that it's going to cost for repairs the wobble in steering wheel has gone a little worse at night smooth ride nice it is a nice smooth ride until I hit a bump nm for about a second or two front end shakes also the OnStar system does not seem to work is the connecting to OnStar and then discontinuously starts beeping would be nice to be able to hook up my phone to the Bluetooth of the car how do you do that is it possible to use my phone instead of the one that's built in supposedly 2 the car also I do not have a key fob bachelors in TV one what guys because I do know that does have that option has all the nice bells n whistles like a heated seats in all that ...Because the mechanic I took it to to have the spark plugs changed when it was misfiring was nice but I've actually asked him twice (once when i bought the car to look over and make sure everthing was good and again when he replaced the spark plugs )... and he missed the oil leak and the shimmy in the stearing wheel.... the nice thing about him is he fixes it and sends me a bill so if tell him whats wrong he should fix it , so not sure what to do there as money is tight these days ...

Oil leaks can be hard to trace. You mu really get under the car and You must get all the oil and dirt off. This can only be done on a "bidge". Maybethere is a DIY close by? After cleaning you run the motor at idle an look closely for leaks.

The wobbeling wheel ay come from bad struts or balljoints. OBD code reading may or may not give an answer.

• 1 month later...

Any mechanic that has a reasonable amount of business and is ASE certified should be able to handle most routine or generic problems. Look for the ASE logo:

showGif_ASE.png

Look in the office for a certificate on the wall with the ASE logo, and find the name and date. If it is less than five years old, call out the name and see who answers.

UPDATE: WAS THE BALL JOINT AND TIRE ROD.. RIDES MUCH BETTER NOW.. BUT NOW HAVE NEW PROB STARTED TODAY STARTED A NE W THREAD,

ALSO MECHANIC TOLD ME THAT ITS LEAKING OIL FROM EVERYWHERE AND WOULD COST MORE THAN ITS WORTH TO FIX

If it is leaking around the oil manifold plate (between the oil pan and the block, the engine needs to be removed to replace it. The transmission can also be removed in order to replace the oil manifold plate. If you have to pay someone to do the work, you can buy a lot of oil for less than it would cost to fix it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Something like that will need more that ASE certification. If you do check for that, ask about experience with Northstars or Cadillac V8's 2000 and later (not on the Escalade or CTS-V; those are entirely different).

Archived