CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 Seville wont start

larman

Need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot this - I could not locate it in my shop manual.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The schematic is on page 6-419 of the 1997 FSM, in the Engine Controls section for DTC P0231. The fuse gets power with the key in Run (on), Bulb Test, and Start. It's a 20 Amp, labeled FUEL PUMP, and supplys power to the contacts and the fuel pump through the PNK wire. The wire to the fuel pump is the WHT wire. The relay coil gets its power from the PCM (GRN/WHT wire) and is grounded at G102 through the BLK/WHT wire.

Make sure that the key is on when you check for voltage at the fuel pump relay. If there are no Volts there when the key is on, it may be the electrical part of the ignition switch.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

This is mind boggling. I put 12v direct from the battery to the pump and the pump works. I have twelve volts at the harness connection but when I plug it in it does not work. Any ideas?

Measuring 12 volts at the harness connection doesn't confirm if the circuit is capable of supplying enough current to run the pump, but it does suggest the relay is working to some degree, assuming the correct leads were probed. It's possible the relay's contacts are burned.

I want to first thank you all for responding you got me going in the right direction, It turned out to be a faulting terminal connection under the fuse block. So I changed the fuel pump for no reason!

Now after all this the brakes are not working pedal goes to the floor. I had this car on ramps on the rear end could this have cause the problem? I was a little low on fluid could there be air in the lines?

The schematic is on page 6-419 of the 1997 FSM, in the Engine Controls section for DTC P0231. The fuse gets power with the key in Run (on), Bulb Test, and Start. It's a 20 Amp, labeled FUEL PUMP, and supplys power to the contacts and the fuel pump through the PNK wire. The wire to the fuel pump is the WHT wire. The relay coil gets its power from the PCM (GRN/WHT wire) and is grounded at G102 through the BLK/WHT wire.

Make sure that the key is on when you check for voltage at the fuel pump relay. If there are no Volts there when the key is on, it may be the electrical part of the ignition switch.

What section - 6C-419 or 6E-419? My manual does not have a section 6C even though that is the section for "Engine, Fuel".

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

My paper manual, which I bought when I bought the car in 1997, doesn't break chapter 6 up into lettered parts like the other major chapters; apparently your printing does. Try finding the section on dealing with DTC P0231; that's how I found the schematic.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

My paper manual, which I bought when I bought the car in 1997, doesn't break chapter 6 up into lettered parts like the other major chapters; apparently your printing does. Try finding the section on dealing with DTC P0231; that's how I found the schematic.

Thanks! I found it - it was on page 6E-177 but I just realized my manual was from my '96 Seville that I sold 3-1/2 years ago. Strange since the '96 & '97 were the same car.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Apparently the FSM was re-done for model year 1997. There are hooks and links in mine that remind me of the SI DVD. In the pages displayed on the DVD, they are hyperlinks that take you to the new section. Like, "See Steering Wheel Removal" has the "Steering Wheel Removal" as a link and clicking on it takes you to that section. In the printed manual, you have to look for it. It's a bunch of pages in a document management application that can dump a paginated version with TOC and index entries for each major heading (1, 1A, 1B, 2, 2A, etc.). The SI DVD is a messy Java application that loads each shop manual up as a web site, which is no mean feat because there are scores of FSMs on that DVD covering every model year from 2002 to 2011, and some documents on it apply to older cars, such as the section on the 4T80E, which was still used in the years covered in the manual.

For 1997, they have Engine Specifications, Engine Thread Repair, Engine Mechanical, Engine Electrical, Engine Cooling, and Emissions Controls all in one Chapter 6 with no letters. There is no 6A, 6B, etc. There is no separate TOC for the different sections of Chapter 6 either, just major headings in the TOC.

Sometimes I wish I had paper manuals for my 2011, sometimes I wish I had the DVD for the 1997 model year, which I still use to help out on Caddyinfo.

Apparently the FSM was re-done for model year 1997. There are hooks and links in mine that remind me of the SI DVD. In the pages displayed on the DVD, they are hyperlinks that take you to the new section. Like, "See Steering Wheel Removal" has the "Steering Wheel Removal" as a link and clicking on it takes you to that section. In the printed manual, you have to look for it. It's a bunch of pages in a document management application that can dump a paginated version with TOC and index entries for each major heading (1, 1A, 1B, 2, 2A, etc.). The SI DVD is a messy Java application that loads each shop manual up as a web site, which is no mean feat because there are scores of FSMs on that DVD covering every model year from 2002 to 2011, and some documents on it apply to older cars, such as the section on the 4T80E, which was still used in the years covered in the manual.

For 1997, they have Engine Specifications, Engine Thread Repair, Engine Mechanical, Engine Electrical, Engine Cooling, and Emissions Controls all in one Chapter 6 with no letters. There is no 6A, 6B, etc. There is no separate TOC for the different sections of Chapter 6 either, just major headings in the TOC.

Sometimes I wish I had paper manuals for my 2011, sometimes I wish I had the DVD for the 1997 model year, which I still use to help out on Caddyinfo.

I priced a set of shop manuals for my 2013 Silverado and almost fell off my chair. $350.00 from Helm! Ebay was even higher! They have just about tripled in the last few years. I'm not a fan of the DVDs - too hard to find things and they are so finicky wether they work or not. At least that was my expierence a few years ago.

The truck is under warranty for 2-1/2 more years so maybe they will come down a bit. $350 is absolutely obscene.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

glad you got it running, I have seen this before. I would clean the terminals really good. Other problems can arise from the same problem.

As for the brakes it is likely coming off the ramps was too much for the lines if one was bad

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

If you are looking at the flexible brake lines on the rear, look for rusted brake lines between the flexible brake lines and the restrictor blocks, and between the restrictor blocks and the brake manifold up in the left front of the car.

Archived