CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

87 Deville Serpintine belt and tension range

YAY!! Got the windows fixed!! Not really sure the issue, either dirty points or poor connection, doesn't matter, they work, lol.

Next on the list: Changed the Serpintine belt, the tension range setting is just on the inside edge of the range. When placing squarely in range, it 'slips' back to the edge. The belt does start 'chirping' at about 35 mph, should I worry, or will the chirping stop after the belt stretches a bit?

All help is greatly appreciated, I will not be able to check back until tomorrow, leaving town for the night, so if you respond, please don't think I'm ignoring. Thx :)

The belt should not be chirping. If this is a ribbed belt, it should not be moving, either. Make sure that the pulleys are all clean and that there is no oil or coolant on them. Then check the belt tensioner. Sometimes the pivot on the tensioner sticks, and the spring may not be as strong as it should be. If the tension is too low, you should get a new tensioner.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

I will take a pic tomorrow (if it's not raining) and let you see where the tension range is setting. The belt is ribbed, will ck all of your suggestions, thank you. Had to buy a new battery today, set out to buy a battery for the caddy and the boat, drove the minivan after buying the batteries went to get in the van and it was as dead as a door-nail. Not my day, lol had to buy a 3rd one :angry2: ! Told hubby to put the boat battery in his jeep (didn't buy a marine one as it was just for a trolling motor), that way all 3 vehicles would have new batteries, lol!

OK, will watch for photos.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

There are many photo hosting sites on the internet...

I use Photobucket...

It is a free service... just make you an account.

Create a couple of folders to hold your pics...

Then I upload the pics to Photobucket, put them in the folder I want them in and then LINK to them from here.

It is really easy.

If you want to do it that way and need help... let me know and I will try to help you.

Posted Image

I can't tell much from that picture because it's too small. The way to post photos is to get a free account on PhotoBucket or a similar hosting service, anywhere you can post a picture and get it's URL. Photobucket has instructions on how to get URLs or HTML code to post your photos on blogs and forums, with or without thumbnails. The simplest way is to get the URL ("direct" in PhotoBucket terminology) and use the "Insert photo" option in the Caddyinfo post editor (it's the little square under and to the left of the smiley; put your mouse over it and "Image" should come up). Click it and you will get a pop-up asking for the URL of the photo. Clipboard copy it from the PhotoBucket page and you are done.

I can't tell much from that picture because it's too small. The way to post photos is to get a free account on PhotoBucket or a similar hosting service, anywhere you can post a picture and get it's URL. Photobucket has instructions on how to get URLs or HTML code to post your photos on blogs and forums, with or without thumbnails. The simplest way is to get the URL ("direct" in PhotoBucket terminology) and use the "Insert photo" option in the Caddyinfo post editor (it's the little square under and to the left of the smiley; put your mouse over it and "Image" should come up). Click it and you will get a pop-up asking for the URL of the photo. Clipboard copy it from the PhotoBucket page and you are done.

I know everyone is different and does things different ways... but the easiest way for me... and less CLICKS on stuff is...

I put the mouse over the "GEAR" in the upper right corner of the picture you want to post.

Then click on "GET LINKS"...

Click one time on the very bottom one...

Come back to the forum... do a CONTROL V and the link is then in the post.

the picture automatically shows up when you finish your post..

Two mouse clicks and it is done... plus one more click on POST to actually post it.... :)

Posted Image

Husband oiled the tension spring, I drove car about 5 miles to listen for the chirping, seems to be gone. Hubby never could hear it but he can't hear a thermometer beeping. He tried to tell me if it is chirping so low he can't hear it, then it isn't that bad.

I know everyone is different and does things different ways... but the easiest way for me... and less CLICKS on stuff is...

I put the mouse over the "GEAR" in the upper right corner of the picture you want to post.

Two mouse clicks and it is done... plus one more click on POST to actually post it.... :)

Thanks, :)

Thanks, :)

No problem...

Posted Image

The belt tension looks fine to me - almost in the middle of the range.

I would not be oiling things in the vicinity of the belt - once oil gets on the pulleys, etc., it is difficult to get off and will cause other issues such as the belt slipping.

It is possible the bearing in the tensioner pulley is dry. Some of them can be re-greased (if the bearing is not shot) by using a small screwdriver with the edges ground smooth to gently pry out the bearing seal and then use some bearing grease and work it into the bearing. Re-install the seal and clean off any excess.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The belt tension looks fine to me - almost in the middle of the range.

I would not be oiling things in the vicinity of the belt - once oil gets on the pulleys, etc., it is difficult to get off and will cause other issues such as the belt slipping.

It is possible the bearing in the tensioner pulley is dry. Some of them can be re-greased (if the bearing is not shot) by using a small screwdriver with the edges ground smooth to gently pry out the bearing seal and then use some bearing grease and work it into the bearing. Re-install the seal and clean off any excess.

He was very cautious with the oil. If the chirp comes back, will check the bearing. Thx :)

By the stretch gauge, the belt is within the good range. If oiling the spring did the trick, you are done.

By the stretch gauge, the belt is within the good range. If oiling the spring did the trick, you are done.

Good, Thx!!. From the looks of the old belt, it may be the original, lol!. Slowly but surely we are getting her in good order! For her age, it's just minor issues. I think our next tackle is the blower for the vents, will start a new thread for that. :)

Archived