CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fair Price for idle speed motor replacement

AaronM

Hi,

My ISC is in need of replacing. When I start it up, it goes up to 2,500 RPMs and sits there for about 10-15 seconds and then slowly goes down to 800rpms once it is warmed up. I really don't want to do replace it myself. What would a fair price be to have a dealer or garage fix this?

Thanks!

-Aaron :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

It is a simple install that should take no more than hour to replace. Once they remove the old one and replace it with the new one. a throttle position sensor learn procedure will be done by the garage as well. This will ensure idle settings are aligned properly.

Aaron,

You do not need special tools or skills to replace the ISC motor. I do not think the shop will spend enough time playing with it (adjustments) and you'll end up paying double and finally doing all the adjustments yourself.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hmmmm......my 1991 DeVille revs exactly the same way yours does even though I have just replaced the ISC motor. Could it be that both yours and mine need more adjusting? You should look into that before getting it replaced. It may not even be bad.

Anyone know what would cause this? Are our ISC motors in need of adjustment?

K.O.T.

When you talk about the ISC ratcheting, do you mean that it is moving in and out or the screw turning? I noticed the screw turning on my 92 Deville, and on my 94 Concours I have noticed a clicking sound like the ISC moving in and out after I shut the car off.

The ISC will run after the car is turned off - it is setting up for the next start. If it ratchets, that's a problem.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The ISC will run after the car is turned off - it is setting up for the next start. If it ratchets, that's a problem.

Correct, but if you hear some excessive ratcheting noise during this movement that you have not heard before - your ISC motor will start acting up soon.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I have replaced the ISC motor on both my 93 Seville/4.9L and my 95 SLS/4.6L.

Neither of them did what you are discribing when they went bad. They will just not work at all and will remain in the position they were in at failure or will just drive wierd all together. There are gears inside that can get ground down. On my 95, a copper contact broke off inside and ejected the shaft all the way and tried to take off on my going down the road with myself and my two children. I managed to get it into the Meijer parking lot and happened to have some tools with me and proceeded to remove the ISC motor. Then two footed it to the parts store (without ISC, it will stall). My 93 and 95 ISC motors had different part numbers but for the life of me, I could not see a difference. I ended up tearing apart the broken one and put the guts to a new one for a 93 in. Still works great and the car is almost to 321,000 miles.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

I disconnected mine and set the idle to 500 rpm for better city gas mileage (about 3 mpg difference). I just have to remember to give it a little throttle when starting it. Somebody who would try to steal the car would have a hard time unless they knew about this.

IPB Image

As surprising as this may sound, the repair history is just maintanance. Breaks, regular oil changes, coolant flush, trains filter and fluid. I have a TCC error that has been on for quite some time and the service ride control started coming on intermitantly at around 318,000MI and stayed consistantly at 320,000...but still rides wonderfully and drives like a raped ape right on up to the 115MPH cut off. Even the AC is still cold.

Caddy_Grill.jpg2008 DTS

Archived